Old February 28th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

Default Sam Sloan Life Magazine Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory
Hi Donna,

I commend you for looking into ways that the USCF can protect it's
assets better, and I have great respect for you. However, the 'Quid
Pro Quo' mentality, whether wrong, or right, exists in far more areas
than the contract between the USCF and the SPF. I view this whole
darned thread as a political vendetta against one organization in
particular when we focus an entire thread against the SPF. Surely you
recognize that 'Quid Pro Quo' agreements were done with other entities
as well? Lets focus on the USCF and all of it's contracts if we choose
to go down this route and not point our fingers solely at the SPF. To
ignore this fact is just playing petty politics when we should be
focussing upon trying to fix the problems of the USCF.
The problem with what you are saying is that, as far as I know, no
organization other than the Susan Polgar Foundation has had the
audacity to ask for and receive the kinds of deals that they are
making.

Do you know of any other contracts like this one? I am not aware of
any.

For example, three time US Champion Lev Alburt has made great
contributions to chess, far greater than Susan Polgar has ever made.
Every month Lev Alburt runs a small ad in Chess Life and he pays for
those ads. Why does Lev Alburt have to pay when Susan Polgar gets far
bigger ads for free?

During the debate over this issue at the board meeting on February 25
I asked Bill Hall the following question: Suppose I offered to form
the Sam Sloan wheelchair bound team. I promised to get all these
wheelchair people together for mutual chess lessons. All I wanted in
return was to have my picture blasted all over the pages of Chess Life
Magazine, a Cover story in Chess Life all about how great Sam Sloan is
with a picture of Sam Sloan on the cover, many articles in Chess Life
about how great Sam Sloan is, and 2 1/2 pages of free ads in Chess
Life offering the Sam Sloan guided tour of Afghanistan for only
$2449.95 with the opportunity to meet Sam Sloan himself.

In answer to this question, Bill Hall stated that if it was for a good
cause he would agree to it.

Do you think that Bill Hall would really agree to it? Would he really
be willing to convert Chess Life Magazine into Sam Sloan Life
Magazine?

Old February 28th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

"samsloan" writes:
In answer to this question, Bill Hall stated that if it was for a good
cause he would agree to it.

Do you think that Bill Hall would really agree to it? Would he really
be willing to convert Chess Life Magazine into Sam Sloan Life Magazine?

It sounds like he answered. As ED, Bill Hall has considerable
discretion to determine whether something is not a good cause or not.
Converting CL to SSL is probably not a good cause, so the particular
conversion you're proposing is unlikely. Other conversions such as
those involving Susan Polgar have better chances.