Old March 2nd 07, 11:39 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

Default Truong-Niro-Contract has been posted

Truong-Niro-Contract has been posted

Having received the permission of both Bill Goichberg, President of
the USCF, and Susan Polgar of the Susan Polgar Foundation, to post the
Truong-Niro 2003 contract, sometimes known as the "four-way contract",
I have hereby posted it at the following address:

http://www.samsloan.com/truong-niro-contract.pdf

It is a 3MB PDF file.

This is quite a fantastic contract, dated March 16, 2003, especially
since it states that the USCF "allocates $50,000" and there is no way
that the USCF had $50,000 to allocate.

However, it is important to note what the contract does not state.

1. It does not state that the USCF is under any specific obligation to
pay any money at all to Susan Polgar, Paul Truong, the Susan Polgar
Foundation or any other Truong-Polgar entity.

2. It gives no details as to how this $50,000 is to be spent, over
what time poriod, for what, or even that it has to be spent at all.

3. Paul Truong signed the contract as "US Woman's Olympiad Team
Captain". Who made him the team captain? The team had not yet even
been formed.

4. It says that the purpose of the program is to develop "gifted
girls". Who are the gifted girls? Is my 5-year-old daughter, Sandra, a
"gifted girl" under this contract? How much money is she supposed to
get?

In short, this so-called contract is totally meaningless. There is no
way that the USCF could be obliged to pay any money under this
contract. No wonder Frank Niro signed it.

The threats by Paul Truong to file lawsuits to enforce this contract
were bogus, as this contract is totally unenforcible.

How much did anybody on the board know about contract law?

Who decided that the USCF had to pay some money under this contract?
How much did the USCF pay, and to whom?

Old March 2nd 07, 03:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

On Mar 2, 6:39 am, "samsloan" wrote:

In short, this so-called contract is totally meaningless. There is no
way that the USCF could be obliged to pay any money under this
contract. No wonder Frank Niro signed it.

Sam Sloan

So, it looks like you're banging the table on a non-issue.

Nice work, Sam.

Old March 2nd 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

On Mar 2, 10:11 am, "
wrote:
On Mar 2, 6:39 am, "samsloan" wrote:

In short, this so-called contract is totally meaningless. There is no
way that the USCF could be obliged to pay any money under this
contract. No wonder Frank Niro signed it.

Sam Sloan

So, it looks like you're banging the table on a non-issue.

Nice work, Sam.

A very big issue when Polgar demanded to be paid $50,000 under this
contract, threatened lawsuits, and finally was paid $20,000 by way of
settlement.

Old March 2nd 07, 05:37 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar
Rob Rob is offline

On Mar 2, 10:56 am, "samsloan" wrote:
On Mar 2, 10:11 am, "

wrote:
On Mar 2, 6:39 am, "samsloan" wrote:

In short, this so-called contract is totally meaningless. There is no
way that the USCF could be obliged to pay any money under this
contract. No wonder Frank Niro signed it.

Sam Sloan

So, it looks like you're banging the table on a non-issue.

Nice work, Sam.

A very big issue when Polgar demanded to be paid $50,000 under this
contract, threatened lawsuits, and finally was paid $20,000 by way of
settlement.

Sam Sloan

As I read it... 50K from the USCF and 50K from the KCF and SPF runs
the program. You have 2 parties putting up funds and one party doing
the work. If I am mistaken,I am sorry.
Rob

Old March 2nd 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessoffice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robgetty
I guess that I'm not
understanding the issue here.

It looks clear that the USCF was committing $50,000 towards this
issue. It doesn't matter if we SHOULD have spent $50,000; a person in
authority DID do it.

Do we really want to get into arguments about loopholes in contracts,
etc? People should think that if the USCF makes a commitment, then it
is good. People should not start thinking, "The USCF will reneg on
their obligations unless the contract is air-tight." In an ideal
world, a promise and a handshake would be sufficient.
Attorneys consulted by the Board in 2003 advised that USCF had to
provide matching funds for money spent (about $19,500) but could give
notice that no further matching funds would be forthcoming, so the
effect of this agreement was to cost USCF $19,500 and not $50,000.

Bill Goichberg
I have heard that the Kasparov Chess Foundation paid a lot of money to
Susan Polgar too, even more than we paid.

Yet, she attacks the Kasparov Chess Foundation even more than she
attacks us.

Any way to find out how much the Kasparov Chess foundation paid her?

Old March 2nd 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.magyar

On Mar 2, 12:55 pm, "samsloan" wrote:
[...]

Who did you hear that from Sam? Name names, otherwise, it's rumour and
hearsay. Give us verifieable accountability if you are going to throw
out barbs like that.