Old March 6th 07, 02:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Tanner Resignation and the Board Vote to Censure Sam Sloan

Robert Tanner resigned from the Board on December 4, 2006.

The very next day, December 5, 2006, the Board Voted to Censure Sam
Sloan.

The board motion to censure me, which passed 3-0-4, was posted on the
chess newsgroups on December 5, 2006.

You can find it at:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.g...5b70d5740ddb1d

This was one day after Robert Tanner had resigned.

It was posted on the USCF Website but since then has apparently been
deleted.

Please read this and note that the Seattle Chess Foundation was
mentioned in a negative context.

However, this was a letter I had sent to the board only. It was not to
the public.

By publicly censuring me for this letter and posting it to the
Intenet, Bill Goichberg may have caused embarrassment to AF4C and made
it difficult for them to sponsor the US Championship.

Old March 7th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessoffice
When you sent your letter attacking AF4C to the
Board, you copied the binfo email address, which made it public.

Bill Goichberg
I never attacked AF4C. I attacked you and Joel Channing for repeatedly
using a fake email address for me or else an old email address I never
read, so that I would not get the board emails for the first month or
so that I was on the board.

It is very unlikely that anybody other than a few die-hard USCF
members who are chess politicos ever read these BINFOS. Most do not
even know how to find them. However, when you posted it prominently on
the USCF public website and then it got blasted all over every chess
newsgroup, that would certainly explain why AF4C would pull out of the
US Championship.

Old March 7th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessoffice
Quote:
Robert Tanner resigned from the Board on
December 4, 2006.

The very next day, December 5, 2006, the Board Voted to Censure Sam
Sloan.
These two events had nothing to do with each other.

Quote:
The board motion to censure me, which passed 3-0-4, was posted
on the chess newsgroups on December 5, 2006.

You can find it at:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.g...5b70d5740ddb1d

This was one day after Robert Tanner had resigned.

It was posted on the USCF Website but since then has apparently been
deleted.
You can also find it at:

http://www.uschess.org/org/govern/2007USCFEBMotions.pdf

It has not been deleted.

Quote:
Please read this and note that the Seattle Chess Foundation was
mentioned in a negative context.

However, this was a letter I had sent to the board only. It was not to
the public.

By publicly censuring me for this letter and posting it to the
Intenet, Bill Goichberg may have caused embarrassment to AF4C and made
it difficult for them to sponsor the US Championship.

Sam Sloan

Old March 7th 07, 03:31 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

I have just created a PDF File showing why I was censured by the
board.

I did this by modifying the PDF File on the USCF Website.

The relevant motions are EB23 and EB46 .

Sam Sloan

http://www.samsloan.com/board-censures-sloan.pdf

Old March 7th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfalter
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsloan
Please read this and note that
the Seattle Chess Foundation was mentioned in a negative context.

However, this was a letter I had sent to the board only. It was not to
the public.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsloan
I never attacked AF4C.
As I understand it, the Seattle Chess Federation and the AF4C are
closely allied, if not identical. If my understanding is correct,
Sloan is contradicting himself in the same thread--unless "mentioning
in a negative context" is not the euphemism for "attack" that it seems
to be. And if it's not, then Sloan's original point (publication of
the email caused a problem) does not make any sense.

Also, the history of the relationship between USCF and AF4C subsequent
to the censure do not lend credence to Sloan's theory. The USCF and
AF4C continued negotiations for over a month past the censure, so how
can anyone claim that the publication of the censure motion led to the
dissolution of the partnership? In fact, the AF4C seemed on the verge
of bringing a major sponsor on board in early January 2007. Then (as
documented extensively elsewhere in this forum) the deal fell apart,
with Sloan's internet posts playing a contributing (though not
exclusive) role.
Since my postings were confined almost entirely to the USCF Forum,
which only USCF members are allowed to see and few even know about,
whereas Bill Goichberg's motion to censure me was posted on the
uschess.org home page and was re-posted to virtually every chess
newsgroup in existence, if is obviously more likely that it was Bill
Goichberg's motion to censure me that caught the attention of AF4C.

Old March 8th 07, 10:16 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfeditor
There is no "Seattle Chess Foundation" any more.
They changed the name to "America's Foundation for Chess" in 2002.
(Sam seems to have a long-term memory problem. Not that he's very good
at short-term, either.) When they changed the name, they bought a new
domain name, and let the old one lapse. This had unforutunate
consequences.

While Sloan's antics were not the sole factor in AF4C (or Merrill
Lynch) deciding to get out of the U.S. Championship business, there is
no serious question that they were a significant factor. Sam's
frenzied denials are not serious.
This is all a lot of nonsense we keep getting from John Hillary.

The rumor that Merrill, Lynch was interested in sponsoring the 2007 US
Championship started circulating in May, 2006. This was five months
before I was even elected to the board. If Merrill, Lynch was really
going to do it, they would have committed to doing it long before I
took office in August.

So far as I know, nobody at the USCF has ever spoken to anybody at
Merrill, Lynch who was said that Merrill, Lynch was interested in
sponsoring the US Championship.

I do not believe that Merrill, Lynch was ever in the picture. If you
wish to prove otherwise, kindly provide the name of just one Merrill,
Lynch executive who ever said that they were interested in sponsoring
the US Championship.

Also, the "Seattle Chess Foundation" did not simply change its name to
"America's Foundation for Chess". These were two different
organizations.

Old March 8th 07, 11:57 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

[quote="Mulfish"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsloan

The rumor that Merrill, Lynch was interested in sponsoring the 2007 US
Championship started circulating in May, 2006. This was five months
before I was even elected to the board. If Merrill, Lynch was really
going to do it, they would have committed to doing it long before I
took office in August.
Are you saying you weren't even elected until October? Do you plan to
use the same level of accuracy in your analysis of USCF expenses?[/
quote]

What does October have to do with it?

The name of Merrill, Lynch as a possible or prospective sponsor for
the US Championship was first circulated in May.

May was also the month that Erik Anderson's option to hold the US
Championship expired.

If Merrill, Lynch had been really been interested, a deal could have
been concluded within a few weeks. We would not be talking about this
in October or even in January.