Old March 7th 07, 04:15 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Patron Entry Fees

On Mar 6, 1:07 pm, Mike Murray wrote:
New on the USCF website this morning. For fifty grand, class C
players can buy their way into the U.S. Championship. A sad day for
U.S. Chess.

At 05:59 PM 3/6/2007 EST, wrote:
In a message dated 3/6/2007 5:11:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I thought we decided in Los Angeles that everything like this regarding the

US Championship is subject to a vote.

No, we decided that due to the late withdrawal of our sponsor, the tournament placement and format needed to be approved by the Board. That was unusual as the ED normally awards all bids. We have now approved Frank Berry's bid for a 9 round Swiss and Bill Hall is in charge of further details.

That is not what we decided in Los Angeles.

What we decided in Los Angeles is that no major decisions will be made
involving the US Championship without a vote by the board.

This was my motion, as slightly modified by Joel Channing. It passed
6-0.

Now I understand why Bill finally voted for it, because in his
interpretation it is meaningless.

The purpose of my motion was to reign in Bill Goichberg and stop him
from running the US Championship and the USCF like a one-man
dictatorship.

Bill has been all along deciding everything about the US Championship
without a vote by the board and without even informing the board of
what he is doing.

This is not about the question of opening the US Championship to
anybody willing to pay as much as $50,000. It is about the rule of law
and whether Bill Goichberg will continued to be allowed to do anything
he feels like without even notifying the board, or whether these major
issues will be first submitted to the board for a vote.

Sam Sloan.