Old March 7th 07, 05:26 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default US Championship Patron entry fees

Once again, Bill Goichberg has made an announcement on the USCF
website without informing the other board members and without
submitting it to a vote.

This time, he announced his "US Championship Patron entry fees" by
which even a class C player or even a rank beginner can get into the
US Championship by paying an entry fee of as much as $50,000.

I do not object to the plan so much as I object to the fact that he
keeps doing these things without telling the board about them.

For example, in October, 2006, Bill Goichberg announced a bunch of
qualifying tournaments which were primarily his own tournaments,
without obtaining the authorization of the board, and then had me
censured for, among other things, complaining about it.

Specifically to stop this from happening again, the board passed a
motion in Los Angeles that everything like this regarding the US
Championship is subject to a vote.

I like the idea of giving Larry Christiansen, the number 7 rated
player in America, a back door to get into the US Championship as long
as he can come up with $5,000. I also like giving this opportunity to
our promising juniors like Fabiano Caruana, Alex Linderman and the
rest of the group pictured on pages 28-29 of the March Chess Life.
They deserve a chance to buy their way into the US Championship.

But what will happen if some rich Class C player pays $50,000 to buy
his way into the US Championship?

It is possible that I would have voted for this plan had it been
submitted to the board for a vote. However, I strongly object to the
announcement of this plan on the USCF website without board
approval..

Old March 7th 07, 08:57 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Mar 7, 10:26 am, "samsloan" wrote:
Once again, Bill Goichberg has made an announcement on the USCF
website without informing the other board members and without
submitting it to a vote.

This time, he announced his "US Championship Patron entry fees" by
which even a class C player or even a rank beginner can get into the
US Championship by paying an entry fee of as much as $50,000.

Money Power is greater than Chess Strength. Chess Strength being sold
for $50,000

Bye
Sanny

Old March 7th 07, 12:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

"Duncan Oxley" [email protected] wrote:

Sam will you play me a match? I need to get my rating up over
2100 quickly if I'm going to be able to afford to play.

If I can get you, Tanner and Weinstein to play me a few matches I think I
can make 2400 in no time. Then I'll easily get the 50 million dollars entry
fee down to a manageable 1 million or even a paltry 250,000.

Should I get a bus ticket to Hell's Kitchen if that where you
live still? I have a pocket leather set similar to the one Booby
has or had can we play on that? I don't have a chess clock but I have
an egg timer and I'll bring it along.

--Duncan

Good point. It took me a while to realize that you are joking of
course.

Hell's Kitchen is generally regarded as the area between West 42nd and
50th Streets and between 9th Avenue and 12th Avenue in Manhattan. The
Manhattan Chess Club, when it was located at 353 West 46th Street, was
in Hell's Kitchen.

When my old girlfriend, Passion Julinsey, (the one who claims that she
was never my girlfriend), moved out on my house in Brooklyn in 1998,
she went to live in Hell's Kitchen. She must have thought that it was
a big improvement. Everybody thought I was slandering her when I said
that she lives in Hell's Kitchen now, but that was where she really
lived.

However, I have never lived in Hell's Kitchen. Too upper crust for me.

Old March 7th 07, 02:31 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Dear Myron and Rachel Lieberman,

At the meeting in Los Angeles on February 4, 2007, I made a motion
that no decisions could be made involving the US Championship and that
nothing could be done without a vote of the board.

Joel Channing modified the wording my motion slightly but did not
change the substance of it. The motion passed.

I see that you have it listed as EB67 but you do not have my exact
wording nor do you have Joel Channing's exact wording. The wording you
have is much milder than either my motion or Joel Channing's motion.

Please go back and replay the tape and look at your notes so that we
will have the exact wording of my motion and Joel Channing's motion.

This question is of utmost importance because I am certain that in
view of our motions which passed, Bill Goichberg did not have the
right to announce that anybody can get into the US Championship upon
payment of a $50,000 entry fee, without a vote by the board, as Bill
announced yesterday.

Kindly give this request top priority.