Old March 11th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chinese-chess,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.china

Default Becerra beats Xiao Cheng to Qualify for the US Championship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsloan
I am glad that this tournament had
a happy ending, in that a grandmaster rated over 2600 got into the US
Championship, rather than another relative patzer.

Sam Sloan
And yet on another thread, when you criticized having a qualifying
spot for the winner of the Senior Open (which I agree with), didn't
you suggest at least some measure of approval for a slot for a
promising junior? A 2300+ rating for a high school student would seem
to qualify.
I am always happy when promising juniors make it into the US
Championship, because they are our future grandmasters.

I was happy when several of our top junior players played in the 2006
US Championship.

However, this year is a zonal year and the top three from the 2007 US
Championship will qualify to contest the World Championship.

Therefore, the only players who should get in this year are those who
have a legitimate shot at contesting the World Chess Championship,
like Nakamura and Kamsky, the two prime examples.

I was not previously aware that Xiao Cheng was a high school student.
He is 16 and rated 2348 so he is obviously a very talented and
promising player who will make it into the US Championship some day.
(By the way, from the spelling of his name, he seems to have been born
in China, as only Mainland Chinese spell their names that way.)

However, right now he is only rated number 6 among players aged 16 or
younger. Salvijus Bercys, also aged 16 and rated more than 100 points
higher at 2481, would be a better choice.

The problem now is that in what I call the "Bill Goichberg version of
the US Championship", such top level grandmasters as Christiansen,
Gulko, Novikov, Fishbein, Yermolinsky, Finegold, Golden, Dlugy and
Serper do not get to play in the US Championship because they did not
play in any of Bill's tournaments and therefore did not qualify. All
of them would be playing in the US Championship if qualification were
by rating only.

What Bill Goichberg has done, without any vote by the board, is make
the US Championship into a Goichberg Style Open Tournament where
anybody can get in upon payment of $50,000.

I think that is wrong.