Old April 27th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,va.politics,soc.culture.usa

Default Poor Bill Goichberg doesn't know that the Executive Board already passed a motion to give a life membership in the USCF to the President of the Virginia Tech Chess Club, who was shot but survived the shooting

Poor Bill Goichberg doesn't know that the Executive Board already
passed a motion to give a life membership in the USCF to the President
of the Virginia Tech Chess Club, who was shot but survived the
shooting.

Don Schultz made a motion to give Derek O'Dell, President of the
Virginia Tech Chess Club, who was shot but survived by pushing the
door closed when the shooter tried to re-enter the room, a free life
membership in the USCF. Also, in the discretion of the editor, to give
him a cover story in Chess Life. His USCF MSA page is
http://www.uschess.org/msa/MbrDtlMain.php?12659206him

This motion was suggested by Mike Atkins.

http://swacgirl.blogspot.com/2007/04...-survivor.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18248298...week/?from=rss

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04172007...a _peyser.htm

The motion passed after Don Schultz, Joel Channing and Randy Hough
voted in favor. I had some doubts about this motion but finally I
voted in favor too since it had already passed anyway.

Then, Bill Goichberg, who had not been heard from in quite some time,
said there was no motion and the NJSCF should give Derek O'Dell free
room and entry fee in the US Open in Cherry Hill, NJ and that the
board should not handle this matter as the Executive Director should
take care of it.

I doubt that we have the authority to direct the New Jersey State
Chess Federation to give him a free room at the US Open. We do not
even know that he wants one.

Bill Goichberg must have been asleep or at the race track again when
this motion was voted on and passed.

Old April 28th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,va.politics,soc.culture.usa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessPromotion
GM Polgar just landed in Portland, Oregon 45
minutes ago when she found out about the story of Mr. Derek O'Dell.
She is very touched by what she's read.

On behalf of the Susan Polgar Foundation, she would like to offer Mr.
O'Dell a $1,000 scholarship to be used to further his education and
chess.

If any of you have contact information for Mr. O'Dell, please forward
it to GM Polgar at .

Thank you!
Paul Truong
Perhaps I should not say anything but hope that it is not
inappropriate to point out that Mr. O'Dell is already a student at
Virginia Tech, so he probably does not have much use for a $1,000
scholarship to Texas Tech.

Old April 29th 07, 04:48 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,va.politics,soc.culture.usa
Rob Rob is offline

Default blatant attack ad by Sloan

Old April 29th 07, 10:53 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,va.politics,soc.culture.usa

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsloan
I sent by BCC my same posting above to the Chess
Reporter for the New York Times.

The Chess Reporter for the New York Times replied immediately. He
thanked me for the hot tip and said that he had not known about Derek
O'Dell. He is writing an article about this that will be published
tomorrow in the New York Times.

So, I think I should not change anything until the New York Times
comes out tomorrow and we can read what it says.

Sam
The article has appeared in the Sunday New York Times this morning as
I said it would.

It is at the very bottom of the chess column.

However, now we have a new problem. Bill Goichberg claims that the
motion did not pass even though four board members voted for it.

I am trying to figure out what motivates Bill to make this absurd
claim. You can check the BINFOS and clearly see that four board
members voted for it.

I am sure that for whatever nefarious reason Bill Goichberg has for
saying that the motion has not passed, it has something to do with
politics, either his support or non-support for certain candidates for
election.

So, at the moment, the statement in this morning's New York Times is
not true although I am sure that the situation will be corrected
before the day is out.

Old April 29th 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,va.politics,soc.culture.usa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessoffice
Congratulations to Derek O'Dell for a wonderful
achievement!

Bill Goichberg
Wait a second.

Derek O'Dell was shot but never-the-less survived.

Is that a "wonderful achievement"?

Old April 29th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,va.politics,soc.culture.usa

samsloan writes:
Poor Bill Goichberg doesn't know that the Executive Board already
passed a motion to give a life membership in the USCF to the President
of the Virginia Tech Chess Club, who was shot but survived the
shooting.

Bill doesn't read Susan Polgar's blog? For shame. Where does he
get his chess news from? Not from the USCF, I hope.
Old April 29th 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,va.politics,soc.culture.usa

samsloan writes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessoffice
Congratulations to Derek O'Dell for a wonderful
achievement! Bill Goichberg

Wait a second.
Derek O'Dell was shot but never-the-less survived.
Is that a "wonderful achievement"?

From http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/cr...s/29chess.html :

The United States Chess Federation has given a lifetime membership to
Derek Dell, the president of the Virginia Tech chess club, who was
shot during the rampage at the campus this month. During the attack,
an injured Dell helped to block a classroom door, preventing the
gunman, Seung-Hui Cho, from re-entering the classroom.
Old April 29th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,va.politics,soc.culture.usa

On Apr 29, 12:48 pm, Paul Rubin wrote:
samsloan writes:
Poor Bill Goichberg doesn't know that the Executive Board already
passed a motion to give a life membership in the USCF to the President
of the Virginia Tech Chess Club, who was shot but survived the
shooting.

Bill doesn't read Susan Polgar's blog? For shame. Where does he
get his chess news from? Not from the USCF, I hope.

Susan Polgar got her information from me, after I posted it here and
other places.

Check the time and dates.

Old April 29th 07, 07:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,va.politics,soc.culture.usa

On Apr 29, 10:32 am, samsloan wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessoffice
Congratulations to Derek O'Dell for a wonderful
achievement!

Bill Goichberg

Wait a second.

Derek O'Dell was shot but never-the-less survived.

Is that a "wonderful achievement"?

Sam Sloan

[quote="nolan"]I think 'heroic' is a far more accurate term.
('Wonderful' to me implies that the underlying event is one we'd like
to see repeated, like drawing more than 5000 players at
SuperNationals.)

Awarding a life membership for a special situation like this is
certainly within the Executive Director's discretionary authority.[/
quote]

I believe that the Executive Board has that authority, although it
should be used very rarely in extremely special situations.

I believe that the Executive Director NEVER has that authority. For
one thing, the Executive Director does not have the authority to award
a contract of more than one year.

Col. Edmundson got the USCF in a lot of trouble back in the 1960s and
1970s when he awarded life memberships to a number of people. We still
have to service those life members who have never paid the USCF a
dime.

Old April 29th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,va.politics,soc.culture.usa

samsloan writes:
I believe that the Executive Director NEVER has that authority. For
one thing, the Executive Director does not have the authority to award
a contract of more than one year.

Well, that involves binding the USCF to some terms that were concocted
for the occasion. The one-year limit is supposed to constrain the
long-range consequences of terms that the ED concocts on the spot.
Life memberships go by terms that are already set, and are available
for sale to anyone who wants to pay for one. The ED giving one away
is at worst equivalent to an expenditure of that amount, which is
currently around $1000, which I'd expect is within the ED's signing
authority.

Col. Edmundson got the USCF in a lot of trouble back in the 1960s and
1970s when he awarded life memberships to a number of people. We still
have to service those life members who have never paid the USCF a dime.

Sure, if done too often it's just like any other expenditure of
dubious wisdom. I thought the number of LM's awarded that way was
pretty low, though.