Old May 8th 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default US Chess Championship 2007

U.S. Championship field

GM Hikaru Nakamura 2755
GM Alex Onischuk 2712
GM Gregory Kaidanov 2686
GM Jaan Ehlvest 2669
GM Ildar Ibragimov 2664
GM Yury Shulman 2662
GM Boris Gulko 2660
GM Alex Shabalov 2660
GM Varuzhan Akobian 2651
GM Alex Stripunsky 2647
GM Alex Ivanov 2626
GM Sergey Kudrin 2612
GM Eugene Perelshteyn 2612
GM Julio Becerra 2608
GM Dmitry Gurevich 2591
GM Alex Yermolinsky 2571
IM Enrico Sevillano 2566
GM Melikset Khachiyan 2550
IM Josh Friedel 2544
GM Walter Browne 2520
IM Irina Krush 2480
FM Joseph Bradford 2475
IM David Pruess 2461
FM Robert Hess 2448
IM Justin Sarkar 2442
IM Bryan Smith 2441
IM Michael Mulyar 2440
IM Ron Burnett 2396
IM Jay Bonin 2381
FM Ray Robson 2359
FM Michael Langer 2334
FM Movses Movsisyan 2292
Michael Aigner 2282
WFM Chouchanik Airapetian 2188
WFM Irina Zenyuk 2186
Tom Braunlich 2148

Old May 8th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On May 8, 9:53 am, samsloan wrote:
U.S. Championship field

I'll be rooting for my horses as follows:

GM Hikaru Nakamura 2755
IM Bryan Smith 2441

Old May 8th 07, 05:46 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Thank you!

Like Liam I am also rootin'
Though is there a site where we the people can go and check stuff out?

"samsloan" wrote in message
ps.com...
U.S. Championship field

GM Hikaru Nakamura 2755

Yeah - he seems to have got ahead of Kamsky by playing tougher tournys in
Europe, but Kamsky is the sole US rep in the World Championship,
interestingly he is playing Bacrot, who has the exact same rating of 2705.

GM Alex Onischuk 2712

Defending champion. I once had the honour of having him look over my
shoulder at a game I played with Sam Palatnik, and laugh.

GM Gregory Kaidanov 2686
GM Jaan Ehlvest 2669
GM Ildar Ibragimov 2664
GM Yury Shulman 2662
GM Boris Gulko 2660

Boris was there too. He was too polite to laugh - but we had a cool
conversation with two other immigrants to the USA about their first
impressions of coming to the West [With Sue Polgar and Sam P,
fascinating!] - the overwhelming aspect of supermarkets! So many things, and
all for sale. But maybe too many things?

GM Alex Shabalov 2660
GM Varuzhan Akobian 2651
GM Alex Stripunsky 2647

Terminator! He was also there wearing usual dark glasses - pretty wild
player capable of upsetting anyone in this field.

GM Alex Ivanov 2626

I met Alex here in Vermont and pointed out to his chagrin how his opponent
could have won a game he was just playing over. We all then talked about
Fischer, memory in chess, and such stuff.

GM Sergey Kudrin 2612
GM Eugene Perelshteyn 2612
GM Julio Becerra 2608
GM Dmitry Gurevich 2591
GM Alex Yermolinsky 2571
IM Enrico Sevillano 2566
GM Melikset Khachiyan 2550
IM Josh Friedel 2544
GM Walter Browne 2520

Who has the only copy of the Master Game from Brit TV in the entire USA!

IM Irina Krush 2480

Not to be underestimated - I see she did rather well recently and not only
drew Magnus Carlssen who is currently hot hot! but achieved a performance
rating of something like 2550

FM Joseph Bradford 2475
IM David Pruess 2461
FM Robert Hess 2448
IM Justin Sarkar 2442
IM Bryan Smith 2441
IM Michael Mulyar 2440
IM Ron Burnett 2396

There's Ron! Pity John Curdo isn't there, but his rating has now slipped a
bit, and he is no longer the terror of New England that he has been for 40
years.

IM Jay Bonin 2381

I never played him, but could hear him wisecracking in the other room in a
quad - he wasn't particularly social and neither was so his buddy at the
Marshall, an obnoxious IM who was hustling $5 games. This was in 1982. I
beat him and left his money on the table That probably shut em up until
I walked out the door.

FM Ray Robson 2359
FM Michael Langer 2334
FM Movses Movsisyan 2292
Michael Aigner 2282
WFM Chouchanik Airapetian 2188
WFM Irina Zenyuk 2186
Tom Braunlich 2148

Tom is a big educator in chess - that is, he has as much sense as all others
put together in terms of mainstreaming the game. One good thing about his
approach is that he is willing to understand what it takes, while others
think enthusiasm will do it.

I suppose I could have got in [if I had money to pay for it, but maybe
otherwise too?] But too old now to study and compete - and getting crushed
by GMs is a lot of fun, but... I guess you hope to get one scalp out of it..
I wonder what the average age of this crowd is? 32?

Cordially, Phil Innes