Old May 12th 07, 10:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Mike Goodall posting on USCF Forums

mike goodall 10489032
PostPost:45481

Sam Sloan is a radical who is not afraid of anybody. Members who want
to shake things up should vote for Sam, since he certainly upsets the
status quo. Many of his harshest critics are hypocrites who fear Sam
will expose them. The other board members may be uncomfortable with
Sam nipping at their heels, but the result is everybody shapes up and
performs in a transparent manner.

Sam and I are not a slate. He's a friend of mine, but I wish to be
considered independently from Sam. I'm very much aware of Sam's
negative baggage, and I don't wish to be associated with it. I do hope
to be as effective as Sam has been in rooting out corruption if I'm
elected. He may be a bull in a china shop, but the USCF is better off
with Sam on the EB.

Mike Goodall

Old May 13th 07, 06:31 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess
Rob Rob is offline

Default Susan Polgar and Paul Truong to head "SPICE"

(exerpt fro SUsan Polgar's Blog)

Texas Tech University, known athletically as the home of Bobby Knight
and the Air Raid football offense, could soon be equally feared for
its wicked endgame.

The university announced Saturday that it will establish the Susan
Polgar Institute for Chess Excellence (SPICE) and hire chess
powerhouses Susan Polgar and Paul Truong to head the program.

Polgar, four-time women's classical world chess champion and five-time
Olympic chess champion, has been hired as director of SPICE and coach
of the Knight Raiders chess team.

Truong, 11-time national champion, is the institute's business manager
and assistant coach.

"We are obviously very excited about SPICE and the opportunities it
will provide," said Polgar. "We plan to build one of the world's
premier centres for chess research and outreach while solidifying
Texas Tech as a national chess contender."

The institute will include academic and outreach components and
provide an almost unprecedented forum for academic research on the
game.

Situated under the Office of the Provost, SPICE will allow researchers
across disciplines to study chess from angles as diverse as artificial
intelligence, cognition, and women's studies.

Research could probe the influence of chess on learning, for example,
or tap the university's High Performance Computing Center to create
sophisticated computer programs.

Institute developers also intend to use SPICE as a way to promote and
support collegiate-level competitive chess and to promote chess
outreach to players of all ages.

Recruiting chess champions will benefit the university academically,
said Jim Brink, senior vice provost for academic affairs, noting that
chess requires a combination of intellect, spatial thinking and other
skills that often translate into classroom success.

"Smart people play chess," he said. "There is a very close correlation
between chess excellence and academic capability."

Texas Tech has established itself as an emerging chess presence in
just a few short years.

The Knight Raiders club, established in 2003, now claims more than 100
members.

This includes an international slate of star talent wooed to checkmate
for Texas Tech.

In 2006, the university was named Chess College of the Year by the
United States Chess Federation - the U.S. governing body - for its
scholarship program and emphasis on female recruitment.

Creating an institute devoted to chess and hiring two of the game's
top personalities will increase Tech's profile in the chess scene,
said Haraldur Karlsson, the current team coach and mentor who helped
found the Knight Raiders and was a key player in building Texas Tech's
relationship with Polgar and Truong.

"This is a seismic event in the chess world," Karlsson said. "This
institute is a unique opportunity to apply the resources of a major
research university to promoting and understanding chess."

Polgar has visited Lubbock in the past to meet with Texas Tech
officials and the Ramirez Charter School Rooks chess team, an outreach
program of the Knight Raiders.

She spoke at Texas Tech's undergraduate commencement ceremonies
Saturday, where the institute was announced.

Polgar has a lengthy list of credentials, including being the only
person - male or female - to win chess' Triple Crown, comprised of
Rapid, Blitz and Classical world championships.

She currently is the top-ranked woman player in the United States and,
at the age of 21, was the first woman to earn the Grandmaster title.

Truong is an eleven-time national champion in Vietnam and was the
captain and business manager of the 2004 U.S. Women's Olympiad Team.

Old May 13th 07, 09:22 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

On May 13, 1:31 am, Rob wrote:
(exerpt fro SUsan Polgar's Blog)

Texas Tech University, known athletically as the home of Bobby Knight
and the Air Raid football offense, could soon be equally feared for
its wicked endgame.

The university announced Saturday that it will establish the Susan
Polgar Institute for Chess Excellence (SPICE) and hire chess
powerhouses Susan Polgar and Paul Truong to head the program.

Polgar, four-time women's classical world chess champion and five-time
Olympic chess champion, has been hired as director of SPICE and coach
of the Knight Raiders chess team.

Truong, 11-time national champion, is the institute's business manager
and assistant coach.

Is this a real job, I mean, like, with a salary??

Old May 13th 07, 10:07 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

On 13 May, 04:22, samsloan wrote:
On May 13, 1:31 am, Rob wrote:

Is this a real job, I mean, like, with a salary??

Sam Sloan- Hide quoted text -

Polgar's salary will be $2 million a year, which is a little less than
Bobby Knight. Perhaps she'll spare you a couple dollars.

Old May 13th 07, 10:09 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

On May 13, 1:31 am, Rob wrote:

Is this a real job, I mean, like, with a salary??

Sam Sloan- Hide quoted text -

Polgar's salary will be $2 million a year, which is a little less than
Bobby Knight. Perhaps she'll spare you a couple dollars.

I just hope that she is getting paid so that she will stop asking us
for money.

Old May 13th 07, 10:14 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

Default Sloan's lies

On May 13, 1:31 am, Rob wrote:

Is this a real job, I mean, like, with a salary??

Sam Sloan- Hide quoted text -

Polgar's salary will be $2 million a year, which is a little less than
Bobby Knight. Perhaps she'll spare you a couple dollars.

I just hope that she is getting paid so that she will stop asking us
for money.

Sam Sloan

Who's us? Aren't you asking for money? Aren't you the one who's
bugging the USCF to book tickets for you since you have no money to
buy the damn tickets and then get reimbursed like everyone else?
Aren't you the one who lied about your penis size?

Old May 13th 07, 06:33 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess

"samsloan" wrote in message
ps.com...

Is this a real job, I mean, like, with a salary??

Sam Sloan

A concept Sam Sloan never understood.