Old May 22nd 07, 06:08 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Chess Puzzles & database

Hi,

I've been training on chess puzzles for quite a while now, all though
I found myself improving initially, it isn't paying of now. Reason is
simple: When presented with a puzzle I find myself instantaneously
looking for sacrificies to make. A few months back, an even more
alarming trend seemed to emerge, my skills seem to be going on a
downward slope, this again due to the fact that now when playing over
the board I tend to keep looking for sacrifices and examining a given
line for too much of time and seem to be completely missing to see
simple threats from my opponents (which I believe I would've normally
seen before all this training with puzzles started).

Has anyone else had similar experiences? If so how do you tackle it.
I've now convinced myself that spending more time on puzzles would
probably take me furthur down this track and I should take a break
from this. Instead I intend to spend more time on actually playing
games to completion starting from a positions where I already have an
material advantage.

Yet another question, I've several games of mine stored in a PGN file.
I'd now like to know if there is a chess database program that would
allow me to import this and search for positions based on a score
evaluation done by a chess program.

Ex: I'd like to basically search and get positions from the several
games in the PGN where a given side has a greater score of say 5
points as evaluated by a chess program. (All though material may be
the same on either side. I'm aware that there are several databases
that would allow me to search for positions based on material
imbalance alone). I might want to combine this search capability with
other normal clauses such as say: A position with a score of 5 and
atleast 10 moves remaining in the game.)

Thanks,
Kumar.

Old May 22nd 07, 07:18 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

This is an odd piece of advice.

Go fishing for 2 weeks. Don't even talk about chess. Don't do anything
about chess.

Part of programming the brain is from time to time, is to allow the
brain to process and assimilate. From your description you seem
incredibly out of focus.

Then, play some chess. Some serious chess, and some not so serious chess.

Record the games.

Go over the games yourself.

Then contact a chess coach, let him look at your games. Come up with a
new plan. (*ALL* of the good players have a coach).

The process is cyclical. It is part of the nature of learning.