Old June 1st 07, 12:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,soc.culture.magyar,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Susan Polgar's comments about "Child Abuse"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzim
Let me give you a current example. The following is
from her Blog

"Do you think that it is a good idea for young players (from the age
of 5 - 18) to play 12 hours of high level competitive tournament chess
per day, every day, for one straight week? Would you allow or
recommend this as parents, teachers or coaches?

For the record, I am very much against this. I do not think that it is
healthy for young players to play 12 hours of chess a day, especially
at high level competition when it is a lot more stressful. But I would
like your opinion."

There are 22 comments currently responding to this. All of them agree
with Susan. Some even call it child abuse.
I believe that this comment plus several other comments and some
outside information I have received from Hungarians indicates that
Susan is either about to break or has already broken with her parents
and her family over this.

It is a fact that Susan and her sisters were required by their parents
to study and play chess 12 hours a day. I know this because I lived
with them in their apartment in Budapest or traveled with them for
about six months in 1986.

During this time, Susan told me herself that the Hungarian authorities
had been trying to put their father in jail for making his daughters
play chess too much. The family was deeply concerned about this.

It seems possible that Susan is about to come out with a "Mommie
Dearest" type expose on her family after the election.

Old June 1st 07, 12:50 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,soc.culture.magyar,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

"samsloan" It seems possible that Susan is about to come out with a
"Mommie
Dearest" type expose on her family after the election.

Did she ever come out with the "Uncle Sammy" expose regarding the old
pervert that was allegedly trying to molest her and her sisters back in
1986?

Old June 1st 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

[...]

**I hope these aren't the same Hungarians who do the multi-lingual
anti-semitic rants? Just incidentally, they are misogynistic too, but not to
bore you with details

**As to the word 'break', does this mean, 'not have identical opinion?'

**Despite family-Polgar's purported opinions, what is ours? That seems to be
missing from this missif.

**Probably the biggest exposure chess ever received in the mainstream was
Searching for Bobby Fischer, and which really contrasted the rather intense
projections of the Pandolfini character, and the Father, onto the Kid who
withstood all and maintained his own integrity - the Kid who didn't care to
win by any means, nor become a socially brittle Fischer-type.

**This is actually a high concern over the fate of gifted children, and I am
glad the issue is raised.

**From another Hungarian GM I just read of the appalling conditions of
tournaments for adults too, and resultant awful chess slogs to get a gong to
take home.

It is a fact that Susan and her sisters were required by their parents
to study and play chess 12 hours a day. I know this because I lived
with them in their apartment in Budapest or traveled with them for
about six months in 1986.

**Are these the same '6 months' when Sam Sloan observed them never to read a
book? --ROFL-- Its rather remarkable how Su Polgar now manages to speak 7
languages after these parental 'abuses'. Probably the testing by high
Hungarian Academy schools just give away those awards too?

During this time, Susan told me herself that the Hungarian authorities
had been trying to put their father in jail for making his daughters
play chess too much. The family was deeply concerned about this.

** 'Concerned' You don't say!?

It seems possible that Susan is about to come out with a "Mommie
Dearest" type expose on her family after the election.

**But /you/ thought you'd prosecute them here /before/ the
election? --ROFL-- I don't suppose your animus can possibly be anything to
do with the reason they asked you to leave?

**What desperate sludge from Sloan!

**Trouble is, someone has told Board member Sloan he is a Great Hero for
bringing all down to his level - and he has believed them, and happily
performs stalking-horse activities for those with even less bravery or
scruple than him, unthinking of the fate such nags receive once their
temporary use is over.

Phil Innes
Vermont
------

Old June 1st 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Jun 1, 7:54 am, "Chess One" wrote:
Its rather remarkable how Susan Polgar now manages to speak 7
languages after these parental 'abuses'.

Susan Polgar speaks MORE THAN seven languages, but she did not learn
any of those languages in school.

She speaks Russian because her mother is from the Soviet Union and
Russian is her mother tongue.

She speaks Spanish because I, Sam Sloan, taught her Spanish. Her
Spanish became much better when she later on had a boyfriend from Peru
who spoke no English.

She learned to speak all the other languages by traveling from country
to country playing chess when she was a child. Her father spoke no
languages other than Hungarian and Esperanto and he used Susan as his
translator, so she was required to pick up all those other languages.

For some reason her biography does not mention Bulgarian, which is
actually her best second language.

Just because she speaks at least seven languages does not make her
educated. I speak 15 languages but I rarely mention this fact.

Old June 1st 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Just because she speaks at least seven languages does not make her
educated. I speak 15 languages but I rarely mention this fact.

Sam Sloan

---

Neither does Mr. Sloan mention that he cut ALL references to his OWN
behavior from the post to which he replies, which are even more rarely
mentioned. Perhaps he picked up the trick of not answering while touring the
US?

As usual, not one single word from USCF about the actual welfare of children
in chess. In fact, even the question is eliminated, while massive
personality invigilation continues, and fruitcakes blather about free speech
rather than responsible speech addressing actual issues.

I already accused Sam Sloan of cowardly behavior over the business of Rob
Mitchell, and in his own forum, and have no need to change my opinion, nor
amplify it's rhetoric.

Phil Innes
Vermont

Old June 1st 07, 03:03 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
Rob Rob is offline

I is amazing to me how an unnamed canidate can take a real issue and
turn it into a personal attack against another and her family. This
canidate boasts of speaking 15 languages. I would say it is mre an
example of idiot savantism than any great intellect.Some are social
miscreants living of the firnge of society. Why should we subject
ourselves to their whims and opinions? It is the equilivant of
establishing laws to govern exceptions. It is simply poor practice to
do so.

I was banned from Mr. Sloans group because I wanted him to answer to
substantiave issues. He refuses and still wants to make personal
attacks. There is much wrong with the USCF and much that is right. Mr.
Sloan's ego demands the attention. SInce his campaign and in fact his
whole life is ego driven we cannot expect anything from him of real
value or consequence. He falls short.

Old June 1st 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Jun 1, 9:56 am, "Chess One" wrote:
[...]

New readers should make a note of this.

Common Netiquette courtesy requires that when responding to a posting,
one should only quote that portion of the posting to which one is
responding.

However, Phil Innes has his own rule, which is that when responding to
a posting by Innes, one must quote his entire lengthy screed, without
any deletions.

Fortunately, nobody but Innes seems to follow his rule.

Old June 1st 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Just because she speaks at least seven languages does not make her
educated. I speak 15 languages but I rarely mention this fact.

Sam Sloan

---

Neither does Mr. Sloan mention that he cut ALL references to his OWN
behavior from the post to which he replies, which are even more rarely
mentioned. Perhaps he picked up the trick of not answering while

touring the
US?

As usual, not one single word from USCF about the actual welfare of

children
in chess. In fact, even the question is eliminated, while massive
personality invigilation continues, and fruticases blather about

free speech
rather than responsible speech addressing actual issues.

I already accused Sam Sloan of cowardly behavior over the business

of Rob
Mitchell, and in his own forum, and have no need to change my

opinion, nor
amplify it's rhetoric.

Phil Innes
Vermont

New readers should make a note of this.

Common Netiquette courtesy requires that when responding to a posting,
one should only quote that portion of the posting to which one is
responding.

However, Phil Innes has his own rule, which is that when responding to
a posting by Innes, one must quote his entire lengthy screed, without
any deletions.

Fortunately, nobody but Innes seems to follow his rule.

**Fortunately for whom? I don't need to add anything to this pathetic
evasion of our joint responsiblity to children, other than that Sam Sloan
has evaded a CANYON-sized void about his own responsibility, as usual, and
here asserts that this is something to do with my poor netiquette.

**Sam Sloan can't really keep this up and not appear absens haeres non erit,
which with all his languages he will understand to mean, in the American
idiom, what I wrote about before.

**This is an indecent level of evasion of primary responsibility - and Sloan
has the gall to waffle about the 'netiquette' of other people in his usual
blaming fashion. Anything but act like an adult!

**He neither restores my message, not thinks he aughta! He is far too busy
slinging stuff at others in the most scandalous fashion he can devise to
stoop to attend to such things as, felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.

**Phil Innes

Old June 1st 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess
Rob Rob is offline

On Jun 1, 4:05 pm, Ambassador wrote:
On Jun 1, 9:03 am, Rob wrote:

[...]

Rob,

I do not understand from which group you were banned? Is Sloan's group
on the USCF forums? I quit going to the forums after my posts keep on
getting deleted. I never got any notice, just some ass hole deleted my
postings.

Or, did Sloan ban you from a private group on his web sitewww.samsloan.com?

Marcus Roberts

I was banned form [email protected] because I asked direct
questions he was not willing to answer.

Old June 1st 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

"Chess One" **This is an indecent level of evasion of primary
responsibility - and Sloan has the gall to waffle about the 'netiquette' of
other people in his usual
blaming fashion. Anything but act like an adult!

The Honeymoon is over? I thought Phil Innes was a Sloan supporter?