Old June 3rd 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Bill's Postcard

Bill Goichberg has sent a postcard to at least 3,000 USCF members who
he feels are likely to vote. The postcards started arriving on Friday,
June 1, 2007.

Although Bill's postcard attacks me, I feel that it is fair
commentary. Ever since I was elected, Bill has, to my great surprise,
make it obvious that he is strongly opposed to me, so I cannot
complain when he tells the voters what I already knew.

In addition, there is a large bloc of anti-Goichberg voters out there.
Although I do not feel that I am anti-Goichberg and in fact I support
or agree with most but not all of what Bill does, I feel that I am
likely to pick up most of the anti-Goichberg votes. Thus, his attacks
do not hurt me much and might even help me a little.

His postcard certainly will cost Polgar and Truong some votes, because
it tells the voters things that few of them knew. About them, the
postcard says:

SUSAN POLGAR: Celebrity and good organizer, campaign disappointingly
negative and misleading, loudly demands integrity and credibility but
kept marriage to Truong secret from voters, ignores recent USCF
membership and financial gains.

PAUL TRUONG: Claims substantial executive experiences but refuses to
document this. Tediously pious, appallingly self-righteous negative
campaign.

I believe that, prior to this postcard, few voters knew that Polgar
and Truong were married to each other. The only voters who knew this
were the regular readers of the USCF Forums, which constitute a tiny
minority of all voters.

Here is what Susan Polgar writes about Bill's postcard:

"I have been bombarded with calls, emails and posts in the past 24-48
hours from friends and supporters, expressing their anger and outraged
with the recent post card and email that they received from the USCF
President Bill Goichberg and Continental Chess Association. I
understand that the message was quite insulting and demeaning. It is
disappointing. I understand that every tactic is being used by some
people to win this election."

I suspect that many of those who are expressing their outrage above
simply do not know that Polgar and Truong are married to each other
and think that this is not true.

I believe that, on balance, Bill's postcard will help the four
candidates he supports a little, but not much. I do not know whether
his postcard will help me or hurt me. It could go either way. I think
that Polgar and Truong will lose a lot of votes because of his
postcard.

However, in my view, the biggest loser will be Bill himself. I think
that his postcard conveys a negative view of himself. It is true that
he is not running for election, so why should he care, but in two
years he will have to run again.

Almost all of the private email I have received about Bill's postcard
has expressed negative views about it. I feel that Bill should have
been more statesmanlike and appeared to be above the fray. I think the
postcard will hurt his own reputation in the long run.

Old June 3rd 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Bill Goichberg has sent a postcard to at least 3,000 USCF members who
he feels are likely to vote. The postcards started arriving on Friday,
June 1, 2007.

Although Bill's postcard attacks me, I feel that it is fair
commentary. Ever since I was elected, Bill has, to my great surprise,
make it obvious that he is strongly opposed to me, so I cannot
complain when he tells the voters what I already knew.

** This must be one of the most incomprehensible sentences ever issued in
the English language

** Why Sloan thinks it is a surprise goes unsaid
** Why he 'does not complain' seems like an admission
** What is it that Sam Sloan 'already knew'?

**In about a dozen posts per day Sam Sloan writes this way - as if he
weren't there at all! It would be difficult to utter more vague and sentious
stuff as this, and all the while Sam Sloan insists upon his own
'personality' response as better than addressing issues - and in avoidance
of actual interrogation of the worth of his actual doings - y banning
critics and whining when they ask him questions, he continues to inisist
that he - who would not admit to the need to pass a high-school back-ground
check, should nevertheless should ponitificate on national issues to do with
CHILDREN.

No grey beards nor Viennese origins are necessary!

Hear This - chess people - and hear it from someone who has been in the
trenches - this is an utterly inadequate response which deserves our
rebuke - it even deserves our very serious curiosity.

Those who will not admit it, will not admit much!

Phil Innes

---

Old June 4th 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 21:39:39 GMT, "Chess One"
wrote:

Although Bill's postcard attacks me, I feel that it is fair
commentary. Ever since I was elected, Bill has, to my great surprise,
make it obvious that he is strongly opposed to me, so I cannot
complain when he tells the voters what I already knew.

** This must be one of the most incomprehensible sentences ever issued in
the English language

This is like George Bush attacking Jimmy Carter for incompetence. Heh,
heh, heh.

(Not to imply you're incompetent, Phil, but you're writing style often
is, uhhhhh, shall we say, enigmatic.)