Old October 20th 09, 11:25 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default San Antonio, 1972: Church's Fried Chicken, Inc. FirstInternational Chess Tournament

On Oct 19, 4:45*pm, samsloan wrote:
On Oct 14, 7:38*pm, samsloan wrote:

On Oct 14, 6:53*pm, Taylor Kingston
wrote:

On Oct 14, 6:02*pm, jkh001 wrote:

On Oct 14, 11:23*am, samsloan wrote:

On the last point, Taylor Kingston is clearly wrong. The production
qualities in terms of paper, printing and binding for the San Antonio
1972 book were vastly superior to the production qualities of either
of the books of the twoPiatigorskyCup tournaments.

More Sloan nonsense. The Dover editions of the two Piatigorskiy Cups
were (are, since they are on the shelf in front to me) of high
quality, with sewn-in signatures.

* The hardcover editions from Ward Ritchie Press were even better.
I've had them for over 40 years, and they still look almost as good as
new. I suspect Sam has never seen these, perhaps did not even know of
their existence, thus explaining his fatuous remarks about production
quality and player annotations.

*The RHM books showed lower
production values, with the pages glued in only. My copy of San
Antonio 72 is in good shape despite this, but several other RHM books
(e.g. Timman's "Art of Chess Analysis") have had pages come loose over
the years. Never happens with Dover.

Does /anyone/ take this nitwit seriously?

* I certainly don't, but now and then it's fun to point out his gaffes.

I guess you are right. I concede defeat. I will just have to reprint
the twoPiatigorskyCup tournament books too.

Sam Sloan

I in definitely reprinting the book of the First Piatigorsky cup
tournament. I am sending it to my scanner right now.

I will definitely state in the introduction that I owe a great debt to
my faithful correspondents John Hillery and Taylor Kingston, who
inspired me to reprint this book.

Sam Sloan

The original copyright was in the names of Gregor and Jacqueline
Piatigorsky. I doubt Mrs. P is going to care about the money, but if
she did and you pirated the books, she would certainly be capable of
squashing you. It would be nice to see you do the right thing for a
change. Unlikely, of course.
Old October 20th 09, 02:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacqueline_Piatigorsky