Old November 10th 09, 09:37 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Are the Polgar vs. USCF Cases about to settle?

I have just received an email stating that cases of USCF vs. Polgar
and Polgar vs. the USCF have been agreed to be settled with all
parties exchanging mutual releases.

In my view, this settlement, while it might have been reasonable back
in July, is not acceptable now. Polgar has lost every motion since
then and summary judgment is pending.

A settlement under these terms would leave Polgar with a free hand to
start the whole thing again and knowing her history she will do so.

The USCF should settle for nothing less than a judgment for the more
than $600,000 in legal fees these cases have cost plus an order
barring Polgar and Truong from ever running for or holding USCF office
again.

Old November 10th 09, 10:21 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Nov 10, 4:37*pm, samsloan wrote:
I have just received an email stating that cases of USCF vs. Polgar
and Polgar vs. the USCF have been agreed to be settled with all
parties exchanging mutual releases.

In my view, this settlement, while it might have been reasonable back
in July, is not acceptable now. Polgar has lost every motion since
then and summary judgment is pending.

A settlement under these terms would leave Polgar with a free hand to
start the whole thing again and knowing her history she will do so.

The USCF should settle for nothing less than a judgment for the more
than $600,000 in legal fees these cases have cost plus an order
barring Polgar and Truong from ever running for or holding USCF office
again.

Sam Sloan

But aren't you party to one of these suits? You aren't going to sign a
mutual release are you? Can't you press for a summary judgement even
if Polgar drops her suit against you?
Old November 10th 09, 10:32 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfeditor
Uh huh. And are you offering to pay the USCF's legal
fees for continuing the case? I thought not. BTW, a settlement would
not "leave Polgar with a free hand to start the whole thing again"
unless the USCF's attorneys are idiots. The settlement would preclude
relitigating the same issues.

John Hillery
At this point the USCF would have to pay little or no additional legal
fees. Whitney Leigh lost all his motions in San Francisco and the
cases were transferred out of that court.

The USCF has filed motions for summary judgment in Texas and the
motions are now pending.

Basically, Polgar has a lost position, a queen and a rook down with
only a few pawns left on her side.

A settlement now essentially declaring the entire litigation a draw
would be a victory for Polgar. She would be getting what she said she
wanted at the beginning of the cases when she wanted an apology and a
dollar, except that she would no longer get the dollar.

Old November 10th 09, 11:02 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Nov 10, 2:32*pm, samsloan wrote:
[...]

Nonsense. Lawyers charge by the hour. If the USCF refused a
settlement, they would have to pay the attorneys for every minute they
spent drafting motions, researching cases, and attending court. Coming
from someone who spent his term on the Board whining about fiscal
responsibility, this willingness to spend the USCF's money pursuing
your personal enemies is amusing. My suggestion: Refuse to settle and
have your case severed. Then you and Polgar can harass esch other with
frivolous lawsuits until one of you dies of old age. Not at the USCF's
expense.
Old November 10th 09, 11:09 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Nov 10, 4:37*pm, samsloan wrote:
I have just received an email stating that cases of USCF vs. Polgar
and Polgar vs. the USCF have been agreed to be settled with all
parties exchanging mutual releases.

In my view, this settlement, while it might have been reasonable back
in July, is not acceptable now. Polgar has lost every motion since
then and summary judgment is pending.

A settlement under these terms would leave Polgar with a free hand to
start the whole thing again and knowing her history she will do so.

The USCF should settle for nothing less than a judgment for the more
than $600,000 in legal fees these cases have cost plus an order
barring Polgar and Truong from ever running for or holding USCF office
again.

Sam Sloan

It's clear that you either don't know all the settlement details or
you are not being forthcomming. about them. How did you learn of
this?

Brian Lafferty

Old November 10th 09, 11:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Nov 10, 5:09*pm, Vidmar2008 wrote:
[...]

Brian, are you authorized to confirm that a settlement is in place as
to some of the issues?
Old November 11th 09, 12:12 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Nov 10, 6:17*pm, Wick wrote:
[...]

to some of the issues?- Hide quoted text -

I will not comment because to do so would violate the court ordered
confidentiality of the mediation process. IMO, Mr. Sloan has violated
that confidentiality and should be sanctioned for it. He should also
be excluded from any further involvement in discussions with the
mediators.
Old November 11th 09, 12:12 AM posted to alt.chess,alt.seduction.fast,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics

"Wick" wrote in message
[...]

What about Mr. Toosmarttofail.com? Or is everyone just going to laugh at
him....LOL

He was so counting on you guys doing all his work for him...awwwww

Old November 11th 09, 01:09 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Nov 10, 6:09*pm, Vidmar2008 wrote:
[...]

Brian Lafferty- Hide quoted text -

Up pops the weasel.

Old November 11th 09, 01:10 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Nov 10, 7:12*pm, Vidmar2008 wrote:
On Nov 10, 6:17*pm, Wick wrote:

[...]

The two mediators filed last month in San Francisco federal court that
the mediation is over and terminated.

The case has been transferred out of San Francisco and as far as I
know there is nothing further pending there. So, as far as I can tell,
mediation is no longer involved.

I fail to understand what you could possibly be referring to.

The USCF has filed numerous motions for Summary Judgment in the Texas
case which are now pending. Polgar seems to have no defense. A motion
was recently granted in favor of the USCF against Polgar and Truong in
the Illinois case.

If mediation is being restarted there should be a new court order to
that effect. I do not think that the USCF should agree to a new and
further wasteful mediation until the plethora of motions now sub
judice are decided.