Old March 18th 10, 06:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default GM Evans interviews Larry Parr

On Mar 17, 11:53*am, " wrote:
BLAST FROM THE PAST

On March 6, 2010 Yasser Seirawan reproduced this item from his
magazine INSIDE CHESS (1988/6) at chesscafe.com. Readers may ponder
whether this interview still has relevance today.

Inside Interview by GM Larry Evans. On January 15, 1988 Editor Larry
Parr of the in-house mouthpiece for the United States Chess Federation
(USCF) Chess Life completed his final of thirty-nine issues. The USCF
Policy Board had fired him on October 10, 1987. In agreeing not to sue
the USCF for wrongful termination, Parr received $20,000 in severance
pay at a time when the USCF lost over $130,000 for the first two
fiscal quarters of 1987/1988.

Larry Evans: The USCF is not the Pentagon. Why in the world should
there be classified documents in chess?

http://www.chesscafe.com/yaz/yaz.htm

I just re-read this old interview. Thank you for pointing it out.

It brings back to mind that the USCF Financial Losses did not just
start with the arrival of the Goichberg Gang in 1996. There were
serious problems before then (but not nearly so serious as they are
now.)

It also reminds me of several current problems. Chess Life is going
downhill, in my opinion. I hardly flip through the pages any more.
Yet, there are a lot of interesting developments in chess, especially
with the rise of our young grandmasters, Ray Robson, Robert Hess, Alex
Linderman and Hikaru Nakamura, plus Magnus Carlsen of Norway, this
after years of not having any new American born grandmasters.

Daniel Lucas got off to a great start with vastly improved photography
compared to previous editors. But take a look at the current Chess
Life. It has a poor cover and the last several covers have been poor.
The only good picture in the magazine is on the inside front cover and
that is in an ad for a book by Alexandra Kosteniuk.