Old April 6th 10, 11:23 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default Caption competition: Holy Cow: Another Poor Cover on Chess Life

On 6 Apr, 11:10, samsloan wrote:
When Dan Lucas took over as editor of Chess Life he made a great
improvement in the covers and the photography.

However, the last several covers of Chess Life have been really bad. I
cannot remember the last time we had a good cover.

By far the worst is the cover of the current April 2010 Chess Life. It
has a picture of a cow. This when there are many interesting things
going on in the World of Chess fully deserving of a cover.

Here it is:
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/alaneo...507 338657490
We could have a caption competition.

Here's my one:

"It's your mooooove!"
Old April 6th 10, 01:26 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Here it is:http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/alaneo...hkey=Gv1sRgCPS...
We could have a caption competition.

Here's my one:

"It's your mooooove!"

I don't agree with Mr. Sloan's opinion of the cover. I think it's
udder nonsense.

Old April 7th 10, 03:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Apr 6, 6:23*am, Offramp wrote:
On 6 Apr, 11:10, samsloan wrote:

When Dan Lucas took over as editor of Chess Life he made a great
improvement in the covers and the photography.

However, the last several covers of Chess Life have been really bad. I
cannot remember the last time we had a good cover.

By far the worst is the cover of the current April 2010 Chess Life. It
has a picture of a cow. This when there are many interesting things
going on in the World of Chess fully deserving of a cover.

Here it is:http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/alaneo...hkey=Gv1sRgCPS...
We could have a caption competition.

Here's my one:

"It's your mooooove!"

We have various openings named for animals: the Orangutan, the
Hedgehog, the Hippopotamus, the Pterodactyl etc, plus at least one
slang term, "blind pig" for a rook on the seventh rank. Offhand I
can't think of any with a bovine angle, though the potential is the
the Mad Cow Attack, the Guernsey Gambit, the Longhorn Defense etc.
Anyone know of any?
Old April 7th 10, 03:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Apr 7, 10:48*am, Taylor Kingston
wrote:
On Apr 6, 6:23*am, Offramp wrote:

On 6 Apr, 11:10, samsloan wrote:

[...]

Anyone know of any?- Hide quoted text -

Fried liver
Old April 7th 10, 04:09 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

wrote:

On Apr 6, 6:23*am, Offramp wrote:

On 6 Apr, 11:10, samsloan wrote:

[...]

Possibly, if the liver in question is beef liver. I'm not sure how
the Italians use the term, but checking online all the recipes I found
for fegatello use pork liver, not beef.

Old April 7th 10, 06:32 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

wrote:

On Apr 6, 6:23*am, Offramp wrote:

On 6 Apr, 11:10, samsloan wrote:

[...]

for fegatello use pork liver, not beef.- Hide quoted text -

Last I heard Vermont was in America. Next time your wife goes food
shopping ask her how many kinds of liver are at the meat counter
Old April 7th 10, 07:21 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

wrote:

* We have various openings named for animals: the Orangutan, the
Hedgehog, the Hippopotamus, the Pterodactyl etc, plus at least one
slang term, "blind pig" for a rook on the seventh rank. Offhand I
can't think of any with a bovine angle, though the potential is the
the Mad Cow Attack, the Guernsey Gambit, the Longhorn Defense etc.
Anyone know of any?

Fried liver

* Possibly, if the liver in question is beef liver. I'm not sure how
the Italians use the term, but checking online all the recipes I found
for fegatello use pork liver, not beef.

Last I heard Vermont was in America. Next time your wife goes food
shopping ask her how many kinds of liver are at the meat counter.

How many kinds of liver a meat counter may have is not relevant to
my question. Practically all vertebrate life forms have livers as far
as I know; probably some invertebrates as well. My question was: does
the Italian term "fegatello" refer strictly to pork liver, as my
online search seemed to indicate, or does it include beef?
This is relevant to my question about cow-related chess openings,
since the English name "Fried Liver Attack" for the line 1.e4 e5
2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.Ng5 d5 5.exd4 Nxd5 6.Nxf7 derives from its
original Italian name, Il Fegatello. If fegatello can only be pork,
then we don't have a cow-related name.
Old April 7th 10, 09:43 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Apr 7, 8:21*pm, Taylor Kingston
wrote:

* How many kinds of liver a meat counter may have is not relevant to
my question. Practically all vertebrate life forms have livers as far
as I know; probably some invertebrates as well. My question was: does
the Italian term "fegatello" refer strictly to pork liver, as my
online search seemed to indicate, or does it include beef?

I think it refers to the male sausage, and the spelling is off:
perhaps you mean fellatio?

RL
Old April 7th 10, 09:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Apr 7, 2:21*pm, Taylor Kingston
wrote:

Last I heard Vermont was in America. Next time your wife goes food
shopping ask her how many kinds of liver are at the meat counter.

* How many kinds of liver a meat counter may have is not relevant to
my question.

Is so.

Practically all vertebrate life forms have livers as far
as I know; probably some invertebrates as well.

Not relative to the subject at hand.

My question was: does
the Italian term "fegatello" refer strictly to pork liver, as my
online search seemed to indicate, or does it include beef?

Yers, yas, yea...in the lower 48 when someone says I'm having liver it
is generally understood to be beef liver. If they say chopped liver it
is generally understood to be chicken liver. When they say that some
someone has liver Cirrosis it is generally understood to mean human
liver. When they say they have liverwurst it is generally understood
to be pork liver. When someone says fegatello it it generally
understood to be something no one ever heard of.

* This is relevant to my question about cow-related chess openings,
since the English name "Fried Liver Attack" for the line 1.e4 e5
2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.Ng5 d5 5.exd4 Nxd5 6.Nxf7 derives from its
original Italian name, Il Fegatello. If fegatello can only be pork,
then we don't have a cow-related name.-

It does does it? Can you substantiate that Mr. Nitpicker?
Old April 7th 10, 11:34 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

wrote:

My question was: does
the Italian term "fegatello" refer strictly to pork liver, as my
online search seemed to indicate, or does it include beef?

When someone says fegatello it it generally
understood to be something no one ever heard of.

Well, it's certainly no surprise that you haven't heard of it, Stan.
However, you should not be too quick to assume everyone else is
equally unread.

* This is relevant to my question about cow-related chess openings,
since the English name "Fried Liver Attack" for the line 1.e4 e5
2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.Ng5 d5 5.exd4 Nxd5 6.Nxf7 derives from its
original Italian name, Il Fegatello. If fegatello can only be pork,
then we don't have a cow-related name.-

It does does it? Can you substantiate that Mr. Nitpicker?

Sure. The synonymy of Fegatello and Fried Liver Attack as chess
terms is well known. Check for example "The Oxford Companion to
Chess" (2nd edition), page 132, the entry "Fegatello Attack." A
portion of it reads "It was known to the 16th-century Italian masters
and the name is Italian for a piece of liver.." See also "The Batsford
Chess Encyclopedia," pages 65 and 121; it uses the two names
interchangeably. And here are a few online references:

http://www.ivangel.it/dblog/articolo.asp?articolo=261
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fegatello_Attack
http://www.chess4u.net/chess-openings.aspx?cod=C57-C59

Here is a culinary reference:

http://dizionari.corriere.it/diziona...egatello.shtml

It specifically defines fegatello as being made from pig's liver
("fegato di maiale"). Hence my question, at which you seem to have
taken such inexplicable offense, as to whether a similar dish made
from beef liver is also called fegatello, or perhaps might have a
different Italian name.