Old May 12th 10, 12:14 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.spain

Default Jose Calderon

Jose Calderon was a chess personality at the Manhattan Chess Club in
the 1950s.

He was famous for something else but I do not know what.

There are several famous people named Jose Calderon. One was a
musician. Another is a basketball player.

I doubt he was the basketball player. He might have been the musician.

Can anybody please tell us what Jose Calderon was famous for and also
his birth and death years?

I need this for my reprint of the book "Trophy Chess" by Larry Evans.

ISBN 4-87187-864-3
978-4-87187-864-7

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...SBN=4871878643
http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871878643

Old May 12th 10, 02:30 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.spain

On May 12, 7:14*am, samsloan wrote:
Jose Calderon was a chess personality at the Manhattan Chess Club in
the 1950s.

He was famous for something else but I do not know what.

There are several famous people named Jose Calderon. One was a
musician. Another is a basketball player.

I doubt he was the basketball player. He might have been the musician.

Can anybody please tell us what Jose Calderon was famous for and also
his birth and death years?

I need this for my reprint of the book "Trophy Chess" by Larry Evans.

ISBN 4-87187-864-3
978-4-87187-864-7

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo.../dp/4871878643

Sam Sloan

Since you are going old school with the Manhattan Chess Club do you
have any info on Milton Hanuer who directed the first tournament I
ever played in when the Manhattan CC was at the Henry Hudson Hotel.It
seems to me Dr. Hanuer should be recognized for his contributions in
NYC Scholastic chess.

EJAY
Old May 12th 10, 03:48 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.spain

EJAY wrote:

On May 12, 7:14 am, samsloan wrote:
Jose Calderon was a chess personality at the Manhattan Chess Club in
the 1950s.

Yeah - Jose Calderon uh ? no I don't recollect him at-all ... Josee
Calderon ? nah, never heard of him man ..

m .
Old May 12th 10, 05:05 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.spain

On May 12, 6:14*am, samsloan wrote:
Jose Calderon was a chess personality at the Manhattan Chess Club in
the 1950s.

He was famous for something else but I do not know what.

There are several famous people named Jose Calderon. One was a
musician. Another is a basketball player.

I doubt he was the basketball player. He might have been the musician.

Can anybody please tell us what Jose Calderon was famous for and also
his birth and death years?

I need this for my reprint of the book "Trophy Chess" by Larry Evans.

ISBN 4-87187-864-3
978-4-87187-864-7

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo.../dp/4871878643

Sam Sloan

Can you tell us his approximate age? There was also a Jose Calderon
who was head of Azteca Studios, a film company, but I have no
indication that he ever lived in New York. The New York Times has very
few articles about anyone named Jose Calderon from the relevant time
period, which is unusual if he was well-known. Could the spelling be
off?

Jerry Spinrad
Old May 12th 10, 05:40 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.spain

On Wed, 12 May 2010 06:30:20 -0700 (PDT), EJAY wrote:

Since you are going old school with the Manhattan Chess Club do you
have any info on Milton Hanuer who directed the first tournament I
ever played in when the Manhattan CC was at the Henry Hudson Hotel.It
seems to me Dr. Hanuer should be recognized for his contributions in
NYC Scholastic chess.

EJAY

I have fond memories of his "Chess Made Simple" and still occasionally
use the Boden-Kieseritzsky Gambit in blitz games, after one of his
Chess Life columns in the late '50s introduced me to it.

Old May 12th 10, 09:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.spain

A CHESS PATRON

I was reliably informed that Jose Calderon was a major importer of
olive oil from Spain and may have held the American franchise for this
product.

Old May 12th 10, 10:53 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.spain

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo....asp?ISBN=4871...

Sam Sloan

Can you tell us his approximate age? There was also a Jose Calderon
who was head of Azteca Studios, a film company, but I have no
indication that he ever lived in New York. The New York Times has very
few articles about anyone named Jose Calderon from the relevant time
period, whichT is unusual if he was well-known. Could the spelling be
off?

Jerry Spinrad- Hide quoted text -

That is enough to identify him. He is Jose M Calderon, also known as
Joseph M Calderon. He was at one point head of the Olive Oil
Association of America. I will summarize more about him later, if I
find anything particularly notable.

Jerry Spinrad
Old May 13th 10, 12:11 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.spain

wrote:
[...]

All I want is the facts, mam. Just the facts.

The years of his birth and death will do.

Old May 13th 10, 12:34 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.spain

On May 12, 7:11*pm, samsloan wrote:

All I want is the facts, mam. Just the facts.
The years of his birth and death will do.
Sam Sloan-

He was born very young and died of old age.
Old May 14th 10, 12:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.spain

wrote:
[...]

Sam Sloan- Hide quoted text -

I am reminded of when Joe Friday retired from the police and sold
office equipment. His pitch -- "Just the fax, ma'am."

David Ames