Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 10, 03:23 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Alekhine's Best Games of Chess 1938-1945

Alekhine's Best Games of Chess 1938-1945

Edited by C. H. O'D. Alexander

Foreword by Sam Sloan

This book completes the trilogy starting with “My Best Games of Chess
1908-1923” by Alexander Alekhine ISBN 0923891498 and followed by “My
Best Games of Chess 1924-1937” by Alexander Alekhine ISBN 4871878260.
This is a reprint with all of the games converted into Algebraic
Figurine PGN Notation with diagrams in the back.

Alekhine died in 1946, so this third volume was edited by
International Master and British Chess Champion Conel Hugh O'Donel
Alexander, based in part on the notes left by Alekhine to some of the
games.

Alexander Alexandrovich Alekhine (1892-1946) was not only one of the
strongest and most original chess players who ever lived, but he was
also the most controversial, second only to Bobby Fischer. Everything
about his life and death was controversial and is still being written
about even today, although he died in 1946, which is 63 years ago.

Some of the controversies involving him a

1. During World War II he played in numerous chess events in areas
controlled by the Nazis. Articles were published under his name which
he may or may not have written which expressed racist views.

2. During the war, while safely in Portugal, he applied for a visa to
go to Cuba which he said was to play a match with Capablanca, but
after this visa was denied he returned to Nazi Germany, while the war
was still raging.

3. After the war, he was invited and then dis-invited to the London
Victory Tournament in 1946.

4. When he died in 1946, the official reason given for death was that
he had chocked on a piece of meat. Some attributed this to heavy
drinking. However, others say that he was murdered in retaliation for
his pro- Nazi views.

In addition to these controversies, here are some other controversies
involving Alekhine from earlier periods of his life:

1. He defected from Russia.

2. He was married several times to wealthy women who were widows much
older than himself.

3. He is said to have had an illegitimate son but nobody seems to
know from which relationship the son came.

4. He defeated Capablanca in a match for the World Chess Championship
in 1927 and then refused to give him a return match, but instead he
played matches with lesser players, Bogoljubov and Euwe, whom he felt
he could easily beat.

5. He surprisingly lost the 1935 match with Euwe for the World Chess
Championship after having a large lead early in the match. His loss
has been widely attributed to drinking.

6. He then came back and defeated Euwe in a return match, a match he
had refused to give to Capablanca. It is said that he gave up
drinking, enabling him to win.

These issues are still being debated to this day. One only needs to do
a simple Internet search to find the most recent opinions rendered on
all of this. The issues most widely debated today a

1. His refusal to give Capablanca a rematch. In his defense, it is
said that he merely insisted that Capablanca reach the same terms that
he agreed to when he played the first match against Capablanca,
especially in terms of prize money. As the Great Depression was on, it
is said that the money was not available for a re-match as had been
available for the first match in 1927. However, this was not the whole
story, because while he was World Champion, he refused to play in any
tournament in which Capablanca was also a player. Alekhine never
played Capablanca over the board again, except in AVRO 1936 when he
was no long World Champion, having lost the title to Euwe.

2. Was Alekhine murdered and, if so, why? One report says that he was
found dead on the street, then carried back to his room and propped up
in a chair so as to make it look that he had died of natural causes.

3. Was Alekhine a Nazi? Did he write the 1941 articles in Paris
Zeitung attributed to him?

When World War II started in 1938, it happened by fortunate
coincidence that the World Chess Olympiad was taking place in Buenos
Aires Argentina. All of the great chess players of the world were
assembled there and this saved the lives of many of them. Many of them
stayed in Argentina until the war was over. The best known case of
this was Grandmaster Najdorf, who represented Poland. He stayed in
Argentina and changed his name from a Jewish name to a Spanish name.
His entire family back in Poland was exterminated. He alone survived.

Surprisingly, Alekhine, who was in Argentina when the War broke out,
returned to France. He said that he needed to go back to defend the
mansion owned by his wife, who was one of the string of wealthy widows
that Alekhine kept marrying. Alekhine moved about Europe during the
war, playing in tournaments in Spain and in places now part of Poland.

It is difficult for us to understand how somebody could engage in a
frivolous activity like a chess tournament when millions were dying on
the battlefield or in the death camps. However, we need to remember
that it was not obvious that Germany was going to lose the war.
Germany seemed to be winning, at first. Had Germany won the war, there
still would have been the same War Crimes Trials at the end of the
war. The only difference would have been that instead of Germans
standing trial, it would have been the Americans standing trial for
fire bombing civilian populations in Dresden and Tokyo, not to
mentioning dropping the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

On the subject of the articles by Alekhine in Paris Zeitung, I feel
that the issue is overblown. I have read the articles and while I
agree that they are objectionable, I cannot understand why a big deal
is made over them. The articles are entitled “Jewish and Aryan Chess”.
The author maintains that Jews play chess a certain way and that
Aryans play chess in a different way. The author says that the Jewish
grandmasters are not artists and that they are merely technicians,
whereas the Aryan Grandmasters play chess as a high creative art.

On the other hand, the author does not call Aryans “The Master Race”
nor does he ever say “Let's kill all the Jews” or anything like that.

I certainly disagree with the conclusions reached by the author. He
says that the Jewish grandmasters are not creative. They are merely
tacticians.

I find it odd that he would say that, because the most creative and
original players in the entire world history of chess were Steinitz,
Reti and Nimzowitsch, and all three of them were Jewish.

I have my own theory about the articles, as follows:

1. I feel that Alekhine wrote the articles, although there might have
been some editing by the magazine editors.

2. I believe that the views expressed in the articles were the views
of Alekhine. I do not believe that he was in any way forced to write
the articles. I also do not believe that he had to write the articles
to save his own life, although they probably did not hurt his chances
either. The articles did answer the question of whether Alekhine
himself was Jewish. As Alekhine was a Russian who had defected and
immigrated to France, nobody really knew whether he was Jewish or not,
especially since almost all of the leading grandmasters in Europe at
that time were Jewish. Jews were being rounded up and sent to death
camps, which provided a good enough reason for Alekhine to write the
articles.

This last point is interesting and I have never seen anybody else
mention it. In the articles, Alekhine provides names of Jewish and
Aryan chess masters and compares their playing styles. He finds the
Aryan players to be creative and artistic whereas the Jewish players
were mere tacticians. Take a look at his list of Aryan players, such
as Capablanca and Marshall. They were mostly in America, safe from the
war.

I know of only one Jewish chess master who was executed by the Nazis
for being a Jew. That was Przepiorka, a Jewish player who had gone
into a Prague cafe verboten to Jews. However, Przepiorka was a master,
but not a famous grandmaster. Grandmaster Ossip Bernstein told a story
about how he was lined up to be shot (by the Russians, not by the
Nazis) but he saved his own life by winning a chess game against the
Camp Commander thereby proving that he was the famous grandmaster by
the same name.

A grandmaster strength chess player who lost his life during this
period was Petrov, who was reportedly executed by Stalin because he
was Latvian. A player who was clearly in danger of being executed was
Keres of Estonia. His life is believed to have been saved because he
was a stronger and more famous chess master than Petrov. Was there
some sort of Darwinian process here? Only the strong chess players
survived. The slightly weaker chess players went to the death camps.

As to Alekhine's motivations for writing the articles, I do not
believe that he was ordered to write them. The articles were not very
good. They were barely publishable. The editors probably had a
shortage of material and put them in to fill up space. The only thing
that made them worth reading was that they were written by the World
Chess Champion.

The articles discussed a subject of great interest only to Alekhine
himself. His main rivals for the World Chess Championship were
predominantly Jewish. Therefore, he had to study their playing styles
and prepare to meet them across the board. After Alekhine died, a
tournament for the World Chess Championship to replace him was
organized. Six players were invited. Four of them were Jewish. These
were Botvinnik, Reshevsky, Fine and Smyslov. (The mother of Smyslov
was Jewish.) When Fine declined, the leading candidate to replace him
was Najdorf, who was also Jewish. The only non-Jews who got into the
tournament were Keres and Euwe. (Euwe finished last).

After that, there was a match for the World Chess Championship between
Botvinnik vs. Bronstein. Both of them were Jewish. The next world
champions, Smyslov and Tal, were also Jewish. Spassky has recently
taken to saying that there is “no truth” to the statement that his
mother was Jewish, although he had never said this before during the
last 50 years when the statement that he was Jewish was often made.

On this subject, there is a curious fact that nobody seems to have
noticed: Of the top ten rated chess players in the World today on the
official FIDE rating list, NONE OF THEM ARE JEWISH. What is going on
here? Are the Jews getting weaker? Actually, one reason for this is
the recent emergence of new chess playing countries. India got its
first grandmaster relatively recently and now the World Chess Champion
is from India. Many of the top grandmasters are now Chinese, whereas
chess was not even played in China until relatively recently.

Kasparov in a speech made last week lamented that in the World Chess
Championship match just concluded in which Topalov of Bulgaria lost to
Anand to India, that was the first match for the World Chess
Championship in which neither player was Russian since Capablanca
defeated Lasker in 1921. Kasparov says that this proves that Russian
chess is going down hill. However, better explanation is that now the
top players all use computers to analyze. Before computers, in order
to become a top grandmaster, one had to live in one of the major chess
centers such as Moscow, Leningrad or New York. Nowadays, however, any
bright kid with a computer and an Internet connection anywhere in the
world can become a grandmaster, if he has the talent and applies
himself. In a published interview, Grandmaster Boris Gelfand lamented
that US Champion Hikaru Nakamura has became one of the world's leading
chess players, by playing tens of thousands of one-minute chess games
on the Internet Chess Club, without even bothering to learn the
fundamentals of chess theory and by playing ridiculous openings. What
is this world coming to?

The main point here is that Alekhine had to face all these Jews across
the chess board, as they were his main opponents. He never says that
the Jews were inferior. He merely states that they are not creative,
and that they are defensive, not attacking players. He says that
Lasker, for example, plays weak moves and just waits for his opponent
to make a mistake. “What would happen if the opponent does not make a
mistake?”, wonders Alekhine. Alekhine had a big problem with
explaining Grandmaster Spielmann, who was one of the most ferocious
attacking players of all time and was also Jewish.

If the truth were known, almost everybody in the world has racist
ideas and beliefs. Anthropological studies of remote jungle tribes
have been done and invariably the tribe being studied believes that
they are racially superior to the tribe across the river or in another
part of the jungle. Here in New York City, people who live in the West
Side of Manhattan believe that they are better than those who live on
the East Side of Manhattan, whereas those who live on the East Side of
Manhattan believe that they are better than those living on the West
Side of Manhattan. In all the years that I have lived in New York
City, I have constantly been hearing these East Side vs. West Side
arguments, and race is not even an issue.

(I live in The Bronx now. We are better than all of them, as proven by
the fact that we have the best baseball team!)

One disturbing thing about the conclusion that Alekhine wrote the
articles is that nowhere in the articles entitled “Jewish and Aryan
Chess” does Alekhine ever cite a specific move, a specific game or a
specific position. Since Alekhine had studied every game ever played
by any of his leading rivals, he should have been able to cite without
difficulty examples to prove his thesis.

Here is an experiment to prove this. Ask any rated chess master what
happened in Game 11 of the First Fischer-Spassky Match. Without
looking in a book and without setting up a chess board, the chess
master will be able to tell you the name of the opening, the result of
the game, at least the first few moves of the opening and the reason
why the game ended the way that it did. Watch two chess masters
discuss a well-known game played years earlier. They will be able to
talk to each other about what happened on the 11th move or the 14th
move or whatever, without ever setting up the board.

Chess Masters have in their memory thousands of chess games and
positions. This is what makes them masters and why it takes years to
become one.

It would therefore seem that Alekhine should have been able to cite
some games proving his points. He should have been able to say that in
such-and-such game in San Sebastian 1911 Grandmaster this-or-that
played such-and-such move because he was a Jew, whereas had he been an
Aryan he would have played this other (better) move.

Since Alekhine never does this, this weakens the theory that he wrote
the articles.

Alekhine does complain that after the Lasker-Steinitz Match for the
World Chess Championship, both players claimed that they were the best
two players in the world because of their superior strategy. Alekhine
says that their strategy was not superior. It was their tactics that
were superior, according to Alekhine. He does not dispute the fact
that they were the two best players in the world, even though both of
them were Jewish.

If you will look at the list of the rivals Alekhine had to face across
the board, you will see the names of Rubinstein, Reti, Nimzowitsch,
Bernstein, Lasker, Reshevsky, Fine, Spielmann and the list goes on.
About as many non-Jews got into the top levels of chess in those days
as Jews got into Harvard University back then. (If your knowledge of
history is weak, you will know that Jews were not allowed to enter
Harvard University back then, with very rare exceptions, and Jews were
absolutely forbidden to join the New York Stock Exchange back then.)

The final controversy involving Alekhine was his dis-invitation to the
London Victory Tournament in 1946. He was first invited and then un-
invited because of objections by the Americans, primarily the US
Champion, Arnold Denker. Ever since, Denker said that he regretted
that,. since Alekhine had been his friend and one does not turn his
back on a friend, especially when the friend is down-and-out as
Alekhine was in 1946.

It was noteworthy that the one grandmaster who spoke in favor of
Alekhine and said that he should be allowed to play was Tartakower,
who was Jewish. Alekhine died a few weeks later.

Sam Sloan

ISBN 4-87187-827-9
978-4-87187-827-2
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...SBN=4871879279
http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871878279
  #2   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 10, 03:58 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Alekhine's Best Games of Chess 1938-1945

Sorry, the correct links a


ISBN 4-87187-827-9
978-4-87187-827-2
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...SBN=4871878279
http://www.amazon.com/dp/4871878279
  #3   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 10, 04:55 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Jul 2009
Posts: 47
Default Alekhine's Best Games of Chess 1938-1945

On May 22, 10:23*pm, samsloan wrote:

snip

Alekhine never played Capablanca over the board again, except in AVRO
1936 when he was no long World Champion, having lost the title to Euwe.

AVRO was in 1938. They also played at Nottingham in 1936.

Charles
  #4   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 10, 06:20 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: May 2006
Posts: 14,870
Default Alekhine's Best Games of Chess 1938-1945

On May 22, 11:55*pm, chasmad wrote:
On May 22, 10:23*pm, samsloan wrote:

*snip

Alekhine never played Capablanca over the board again, except in AVRO
1936 when he was no long World Champion, having lost the title to Euwe.


AVRO was in 1938. They also played at Nottingham in 1936.

Charles


Thank you for these corrections.

Sam Sloan
  #5   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 10, 01:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,536
Default Alekhine's Best Games of Chess 1938-1945

On May 23, 8:20*am, samsloan wrote:

Charles


Thank you for these corrections.

Sam Sloan


When are you writing your autobiography Sam? There's probably a
market for that, if you keep the price low enough. You're at least as
colorful as Alekhine. That book on your childhood mentor (?) and
acquaintance Norman Tweed Whitaker sold pretty well--I have a copy,
showing you bouncing on Mr. Whitaker's knee in 1953.

Of course they say you should only write an autobiography when you're
old enough to not do any more mischief, so I'm not sure if that
applies to you or not.

RL


  #6   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 10, 02:57 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,256
Default Alekhine's Best Games of Chess 1938-1945

On May 22, 10:23*pm, samsloan wrote:
Alekhine's Best Games of Chess 1938-1945

Edited by C. H. O'D. Alexander

Foreword by Sam Sloan


Alexander Alexandrovich Alekhine (1892-1946) was not only one of the
strongest and most original chess players who ever lived, but he was
also the most controversial, second only to Bobby Fischer. Everything
about his life and death was controversial and is still being written
about even today, although he died in 1946, which is 63 years ago.


64 years now. Sam, it would be better just to end the sentence with
"he died in 1946." Otherwise your "63 years ago" will just keep
getting more and more incorrect. People can always figure out how many
years ago that was.

Some of the controversies involving him a

1. During World War II he played in numerous chess events in areas
controlled by the Nazis. Articles were published under his name which
he may or may not have written which expressed racist views.

2. During the war, while safely in Portugal, he applied for a visa to
go to Cuba which he said was to play a match with Capablanca, but
after this visa was denied he returned to Nazi Germany, while the war
was still raging.


Alekhine moved to Spain in October 1943. AFAIK, he never set foot in
Germany or any Nazi-occupied country from then on.

3. After the war, he was invited and then dis-invited to the London
Victory Tournament in 1946.


Actually the dis-invitation came to him on 28 November 1945.

4. When he died in 1946, the official reason given for death was that
he had chocked on a piece of meat. Some attributed this to heavy
drinking. However, others say that he was murdered in retaliation for
his pro- Nazi views.

In addition to these controversies, here are some other controversies
involving Alekhine from earlier periods of his life:

1. He defected from Russia.

2. He was married several times to wealthy women who were widows much
older than himself.

3. He is said to have had an illegitimate *son but nobody seems to
know from which relationship the son came.


I think you'd better research this, Sam.

4. He defeated Capablanca in a match for the World Chess Championship
in 1927 and then refused to give him a return match, but instead he
played matches with lesser players, Bogoljubov and Euwe, whom he felt
he could easily beat.


False. Alekhine was prepared to play a return match with Capablanca
circa 1929, but Capa backed out.

5. He surprisingly lost the 1935 match with Euwe for the World Chess
Championship after having a large lead early in the match. His loss
has been widely attributed to drinking.


Widely, but falsely. Sam, if you are going to write history, you
should make some attempt at factual accuracy, rather than just repeat
the common myths.

6. He then came back and defeated Euwe in a return match, a match he
had refused to give to Capablanca.


Alekhine refused to give Capablanca a match with Euwe?

It is said that he gave up
drinking, enabling him to win.


"It is said"?? Good grief.

These issues are still being debated to this day. One only needs to do
a simple Internet search to find the most recent opinions rendered on
all of this. The issues most widely debated today a

1. His refusal to give Capablanca a rematch. In his defense, it is
said that he merely insisted that Capablanca reach the same terms that
he agreed to when he played the first match against Capablanca,
especially in terms of prize money. As the Great Depression was on, it
is said that the money was not available for a re-match as had been
available for the first match in 1927. However, this was not the whole
story, because while he was World Champion, he refused to play in any
tournament in which Capablanca was also a player. Alekhine never
played Capablanca over the board again, except in AVRO 1936 when he
was no long World Champion, having lost the title to Euwe.


As has been pointed out, AVRO was in 1938, and Alekhine /was/ world
champion then. And they played at Nottingham 1936 as well.

2. Was Alekhine murdered and, if so, why? One report says that he was
found dead on the street, then carried back to his room and propped up
in a chair so as to make it look that he had died of natural causes.

3. Was Alekhine a Nazi? Did he write the 1941 articles in Paris
Zeitung attributed to him?

When World War II started in 1938,


Jeez, Sam. WW II started 1 September 1939, when Germany attacked
Poland.

it happened by fortunate
coincidence that the World Chess Olympiad was taking place in Buenos
Aires Argentina. All of the great chess players of the world were
assembled there and this saved the lives of many of them. Many of them
stayed in Argentina until the war was over. The best known case of
this was Grandmaster Najdorf, who represented Poland. He stayed in
Argentina and changed his name from a Jewish name to a Spanish name.


Yes, he changed it from Najdorf to Najdorf.

His entire family back in Poland was exterminated. He alone survived.

Surprisingly, Alekhine, who was in Argentina when the War broke out,
returned to France. He said that he needed to go back to defend the
mansion owned by his wife, who was one of the string of wealthy widows
that Alekhine kept marrying. Alekhine moved about Europe during the
war, playing in tournaments in Spain and in places now part of Poland.


"Places now part of Poland"?? What the hell is that supposed to
mean? Politically, Poland had ceased to exist. You make it sound like
over the years 1939-1945 Poland was expanding. Instead, it was being
devoured.
Also, during the war years Alekhine played tournaments in Munich,
Salzburg, and Prague. None of these are in Spain or Poland.

It is difficult for us to understand how somebody could engage in a
frivolous activity like a chess tournament when millions were dying on
the battlefield or in the death camps. However, we need to remember
that it was not obvious that Germany was going to lose the war.
Germany seemed to be winning, at first. Had Germany won the war, there
still would have been the same War Crimes Trials at the end of the
war. The only difference would have been that instead of Germans
standing trial, it would have been the Americans standing trial for
fire bombing civilian populations in Dresden and Tokyo, not to
mentioning dropping the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.


What a load of nonsense. The only way Germany might have won the war
was if the USA stayed out. In which case there would have been no
American bombing of Dresden, Tokyo, Hiroshima or Nagasaki.

On the subject of the articles by Alekhine in Paris Zeitung,


Paris/er/ Zeitung. They also appeared in many other German
publications, such as the Deutsche Schachzeitung and Deutsche Zeitung
in den Niederlanden.

I feel
that the issue is overblown. I have read the articles and while I
agree that they are objectionable, I cannot understand why a big deal
is made over them.


You must be blind, Sam. The articles basically say that the Jewish
chess masters are all cheats and fakes.

The articles are entitled “Jewish and Aryan Chess”.
The author maintains that Jews play chess a certain way and that
Aryans play chess in a different way. The author says that the Jewish
grandmasters are not artists and that they are merely technicians,
whereas the Aryan Grandmasters play chess as a high creative art.

On the other hand, the author does not call Aryans “The Master Race”
nor does he ever say “Let's kill all the Jews” or anything like that.


Oh, then that makes it OK, huh?

I certainly disagree with the conclusions reached by the author. He
says that the Jewish grandmasters are not creative. They are merely
tacticians.


I thought you said they were technicians.

I find it odd that he would say that,


You find it odd that a Nazi newspaper would print false things about
Jews?

because the most creative and
original players in the entire world history of chess were Steinitz,
Reti and Nimzowitsch, and all three of them were Jewish.


I have my own theory about the articles, as follows:


Sam, nobody cares about your uninformed "theories."

A grandmaster strength chess player who lost his life during this
period was Petrov, who was reportedly executed by Stalin because he
was Latvian.


No, he was sent to a labor camp because he complained about living
conditions under Russian occupation. There is no evidence he was
executed, i.e. by firing squad or whatever. Probably he was just
worked to death.

A player who was clearly in danger of being executed was
Keres of Estonia. His life is believed to have been saved because he
was a stronger and more famous chess master than Petrov. Was there
some sort of Darwinian process here?


Yes. Perhaps you can explain it in terms of punctuated equilibrium
or phyletic gradualism.

Only the strong chess players
survived. The slightly weaker chess players went to the death camps.

The articles discussed a subject of great interest only to Alekhine
himself. His main rivals for the World Chess Championship were
predominantly Jewish.


Capablanca, Euwe and Bogolyubov were Jewish?

Therefore, he had to study their playing styles
and prepare to meet them across the board. After Alekhine died, a
tournament for the World Chess Championship to replace him was
organized. Six players were invited. Four of them were Jewish. These
were Botvinnik, Reshevsky, Fine and Smyslov. (The mother of Smyslov
was Jewish.)


Smyslov belonged to the Russian Orthodox Church.

read more »


No, I've had quite enough, thank you.
  #7   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 10, 04:24 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,256
Default Alekhine's Best Games of Chess 1938-1945

On May 22, 10:23*pm, samsloan wrote:

On the subject of the articles by Alekhine in Paris Zeitung, I feel
that the issue is overblown. I have read the articles and while I
agree that they are objectionable, I cannot understand why a big deal
is made over them.


Maybe a few quotes will make it clear even to you, Sam:

"Jewish and Aryan Chess: A psychological study which ...
demonstrates the Jewish lack of courage and creativity."

"Lasker plagiarized the great Morphy."

"Lasker's 'talent' [was in] avoiding the most dangerous opponents
while in their prime. He took them on only when they were handicapped
by old age, illness, or lack of preparation."

"Reared in hate against the Gentiles ... was ... Akiba Rubinstein.
Strictly (Hebrew) orthodox, steeped in Talmudic hatred against the
'Goyim'..."

"The Jew from Riga, Aaron Nimzovich ... violently hated us Russians
and Slavs."

"[Nimzovich's] ideas, however, did not originate in his own brain,
but ... were consciously or unconsciously plagiarized."

"A united front of purely destructive Jewish chess tacticians
(Steinitz, Lasker, Rubinstein, Nimzovich, Reti) began to shape up,
destined to hamper, for half a century, the logical evolution of our
fighting chess."

"[Reti's] cheap bluff, this shameless self-advertisement was
swallowed hook, line and sinker by the chess world that had been
poisoned by Jewish journalists."

"[Reshevsky] showed that he represented the worst type of chess
professional, resorting to the shabbiest tricks."

Getting it now, Sam?
  #8   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 10, 06:35 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
sd sd is offline
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Jun 2009
Posts: 922
Default Alekhine's Best Games of Chess 1938-1945

On May 23, 10:24*am, Taylor Kingston
wrote:


Sam's Introductions to these books are done in Ed Wood style. They are
hilarious, with the half truths, absolute fabrications, misremembering
of basic facts. I hope this one has Tor Johnson on the cover as
Alekhine.
  #9   Report Post  
Old May 23rd 10, 11:58 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,146
Default Alekhine's Best Games of Chess 1938-1945

On May 22, 10:23*pm, samsloan wrote:

Surprisingly, Alekhine, who was in Argentina when the War broke out,
returned to France. He said that he needed to go back to defend the
mansion owned by his wife, who was one of the string of wealthy widows
that Alekhine kept marrying. Alekhine moved about Europe during the
war, playing in tournaments in Spain and in places now part of Poland.

It is difficult for us to understand how somebody could engage in a
frivolous activity like a chess tournament when millions were dying on
the battlefield or in the death camps. However, we need to remember
that it was not obvious that Germany was going to lose the war.
Germany seemed to be winning, at first. Had Germany won the war, there
still would have been the same War Crimes Trials at the end of the
war. The only difference would have been that instead of Germans
standing trial, it would have been the Americans standing trial for
fire bombing civilian populations in Dresden and Tokyo, not to
mentioning dropping the bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.



Sam, your 'logic' above is utterly absurd.

For example, the bombs were dropped on Japan only AFTER the
war with Germany was over. If, as you say, Germany had won the
war, it would mean that you would have to account for why those
bombs were being dropped on Japan in a Europe-first strategy in
which the Allied superpowers had agreed to 'handle' Germany first,
and only then take on Japan. That's a very tall order.

Also, note that you failed to mention what Great Britain did: they
blockaded Germany and thereby starved its 'civilian' population, as
a matter of strategy. In general, targetting civilians is a no-no
when
peaceful nations sit around thinking up rules for fighting wars in a
ahem [smirking], 'civilized' manner.

Besides, how do you know that in a scenario in which Germany
won the war, they did not simply o-b-l-i-t-e-r-a-t-e their enemies,
making war crimes trials impossible? How do you know they did
not themselves develop nuclear weapons and use them on Japan,
just as they turned on Russia in spite of a non-aggression pact?
Such idle speculations are silly.

Anyway, you did manage to get a few things right. It was far from
obvious that Germany would lose the war. Civilian populations
were firebombed by the Allies. And my favorite, 'It is difficult for
us
to understand how somebody could engage in a frivolous activity
like a chess tournament when millions were dying.' Consider that
millions of people in the world are starving today. Millions are
dying of diseases which we in the USA no longer have to worry
about. And yet here we sit typing on our computers, playing in
chess tournaments, doing very little or nothing whatsoever to help
them... Bragging about shooting deer with slingshots... Are we in
an ideal position to show moral outrage at what we may imagine
Alekhine did during a war he did not start? Was Alekhine himself
not the victim of wars?
  #10   Report Post  
Old May 24th 10, 03:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by ChessBanter: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,256
Default Alekhine's Best Games of Chess 1938-1945

On May 22, 10:23*pm, samsloan wrote:

3. Was Alekhine a Nazi? Did he write the 1941 articles in Paris
Zeitung attributed to him?


This article is highly relevant, Sam:

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/alekhine.html

I also suggest you read "Alexander Alekhine's Chess Games,
1902-1946" by Skinner and Verhoeven (McFarland & Co., 1998) before you
ever write another word about Alekhine. You appear to know rather
little about him, and writing about him without reference to this book
is a bit like writing about Jesus without ever having read the
Bible.
Reply
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sound and Fury in Polgarland B. Lafferty[_6_] rec.games.chess.politics (Chess Politics) 3 December 15th 08 09:20 AM
rec.games.chess.misc FAQ [2/4] [email protected] rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 0 April 7th 06 05:30 AM
rec.games.chess.misc FAQ [2/4] [email protected] rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 0 March 22nd 06 05:35 AM
Chess Book Artificer rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 6 March 13th 06 12:46 AM
rec.games.chess.misc FAQ [2/4] [email protected] rec.games.chess.misc (Chess General) 0 March 7th 06 05:30 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2019 ChessBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Chess"

 

Copyright © 2017