Old May 26th 10, 09:39 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

Default Motions to Make it More Difficult to Run for USCF Election

At one time, not so long ago, samsloan wrote:

I strongly oppose these changes. The filing fee was increased to $250
to keep me out. It was figured that I could not afford $250, so this
was passed as an anti-Sam Sloan measure.

While I can't state your belief is impossible, I find it
difficult to accept that the USCF would raise the fee solely to
prevent you from running.

--
Intaxication: Euphoria at getting a tax refund, which lasts until you
realize that it was your money to start with.
Old May 26th 10, 10:45 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

On May 26, 4:39*am, Kent Wills wrote:
At one time, not so long ago, samsloan wrote:

I strongly oppose these changes. The filing fee was increased to $250
to keep me out. It was figured that I could not afford $250, so this
was passed as an anti-Sam Sloan measure.

* * *While I can't state your belief is impossible, I find it
difficult to accept that the USCF would raise the fee solely to
prevent you from running.

--

You are new around here, aren't you?
Old May 26th 10, 12:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

Just a few observations:

I had always assumed that the filing fee was present to avoid having
"candidates" that lack any actual desire to serve as a representative
of the USCF. I sincerely doubt that raising that fee from $250 to $400
would have any effect in that respect. From that perspective the
raising of the fee seems likely to be directed at some of the more
financially challenged potential candidates, in particular one Sam
Sloan. If this is not the underlying reason for there being a fee then
there should be no fee at all.

The 50 signatures portion does not appear to be particularly onerous
but requiring 25 delegates and 10 states most certainly is for many
potential and worthy potential candidates; regardless of you feelings
regarding Mr. Sloan. I for one would find that to be a significant
burden and it would definitely have the potential to prevent me from
seeking to serve if I were so inclined to do so otherwise.

Also, requiring continuous membership for 5 years to be a voting
member is simply absurd and totally unwarranted. I understand that
there have been some shenanigans regarding newly joined members
interfering in the process but simply a time period of 1 year with
at least one renewal would seem more then sufficient to squelch that
type of activity.

Finally, the practice of what is effectively campaigning for his
preferred candidates at his events does indeed strike me as a problem
that needs to be addressed. Perhaps there should indeed be a
requirement that if petitions for candidates are to be posted at USCF
Sanctioned Events then petitions for All candidates need to be so
posted.

As for the batches of postcards being sent, well I would certainly
think that the USCF Member Mailing List should be made available to
all candidates so that they are able to match that effort if it is to
be allowed.

Finally I have no difficulty whatsoever, based on events over the past
few years, that USCF policy changes would be proposed and even passed
with the direct intention of marginalizing Mr. Sloan.

Please take the above together with the following:

I believe that Bill Goichberg has been providing a tremendous service
to the cause of chess in the US. Without his tournaments the state of
chess in this country would be vastly inferior and in particular the
lot of professional players would be far worse then it currently is. I
personally hope the he will continue to do so for many years to come.
Nobody in my lifetime has done as much for the game in this country as
he has.

I also believe that Sam Sloan is a man of questionable moral character
in some respects and doubt that many informed people would disagree
with such an assertion. But that observation is based primarily on my
own personal beliefs and my problems with his activities are not of a
nature that would be detrimental in terms of serving as a USCF Board
Member. What Mr Sloan provides, something that is almost totaly
lacking in the current administration, is a degree of openess into the
dealings of the USCF, actions that are being taken on behalf of the
Membership who are the real owners of the federation. The is simply no
reasonable cause for such dealings to be kept hidden from them in any
way whatsoever. Any an all activities of the USCF shoould be open for
review by the entire membership, the times when this would have been
logistically and technicallly problematic are long past.

If alternative candidates were to emerge who supported a policy of
complete openess then it is likely that any support I might be
inclined to feel for Mr. Sloan would evaporate. Unfortunately no such
candidates have emerged to date.

Exposure to the light is the one sure cure for darkness and evil.

Old May 27th 10, 12:32 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

SearchingForMaxEuwe wrote:
..
Exposure to the light is the one sure cure for darkness and evil.

Do you fuk your dog with the light on or off ?

..
Old May 27th 10, 09:14 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

At one time, not so long ago, samsloan wrote:

On May 26, 4:39*am, Kent Wills wrote:
At one time, not so long ago, samsloan wrote:

I strongly oppose these changes. The filing fee was increased to $250
to keep me out. It was figured that I could not afford $250, so this
was passed as an anti-Sam Sloan measure.

* * *While I can't state your belief is impossible, I find it
difficult to accept that the USCF would raise the fee solely to
prevent you from running.

--

You are new around here, aren't you?

Nope. Been here 2004. On Usenet itself since late '93 or early
'94.

--
Sanza speme vivemo in disio.

Old May 27th 10, 01:34 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

On May 26, 4:39*am, Kent Wills wrote:
At one time, not so long ago, samsloan wrote:

I strongly oppose these changes. The filing fee was increased to $250
to keep me out. It was figured that I could not afford $250, so this
was passed as an anti-Sam Sloan measure.

* * *While I can't state your belief is impossible, I find it
difficult to accept that the USCF would raise the fee solely to
prevent you from running.

You're correct. If they looking merely to thwart Sloan's candidacy
they would have imposed a fee of $40 and instituted a mandatory sanity
test.

Old May 27th 10, 03:14 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,misc.legal,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

Why would Goichberg want to make it more difficult for candidates to
run for election when it is difficult to find anybody willing to run
now