Old July 11th 10, 03:07 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default The strange world of Kirsan

http://gambit.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...ss-federation/
Old July 11th 10, 03:47 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Jul 11, 5:07*pm, "B. Lafferty" wrote:
http://gambit.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...rview-with-the...

Have you read the book "Curse of Kirsan"? It's a collection of
articles by a chess loving woman journalist, Susan something (not
Polgar).

Kirsan gets a bad rap, but to be fair in his corner of the world his
kind of rule is routine--just look at the crazy leaders in the
"Stans" (one of them employed a giant rotating statue of himself that
followed the sun).

RL
Old July 11th 10, 09:09 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Jul 11, 10:47*am, raylopez99 wrote:
On Jul 11, 5:07*pm, "B. Lafferty" wrote:

http://gambit.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...rview-with-the...

Have you read the book "Curse of Kirsan"? *It's a collection of
articles by a chess loving woman journalist, Susan something (not
Polgar).

Sarah Hurst.

http://www.amazon.com/Curse-Kirsan-S...8878954&sr=8-1
Old July 11th 10, 11:10 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Jul 11, 11:09*pm, Taylor Kingston
wrote:
On Jul 11, 10:47*am, raylopez99 wrote:

On Jul 11, 5:07*pm, "B. Lafferty" wrote:

http://gambit.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...rview-with-the....

Have you read the book "Curse of Kirsan"? *It's a collection of
articles by a chess loving woman journalist, Susan something (not
Polgar).

* Sarah Hurst.

http://www.amazon.com/Curse-Kirsan-S...90151/ref=sr_1....

Good book, best read between the lines, going through it now. Another
human interest book I plan to read is Hallman's The Chess Artist (on
my bookshelf forever). Anything by Hans Rees is pretty good too for
human interest.

RL
Old July 11th 10, 11:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

wrote:

On Jul 11, 10:47*am, raylopez99 wrote:

On Jul 11, 5:07*pm, "B. Lafferty" wrote:

http://gambit.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...rview-with-the...

Have you read the book "Curse of Kirsan"? *It's a collection of
articles by a chess loving woman journalist, Susan something (not
Polgar).

* Sarah Hurst.

http://www.amazon.com/Curse-Kirsan-S...90151/ref=sr_1....

Good book, best read between the lines, going through it now. *Another
human interest book I plan to read is Hallman's The Chess Artist (on
my bookshelf forever). *

I didn't care all that much for Hallman's book. He was sort of a
chess equivalent of Bob Dylan's Mr. Jones:

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review406.pdf

Anything by Hans Rees is pretty good too for
human interest.

There I heartily agree.

Old July 11th 10, 11:20 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On 7/11/2010 10:47 AM, raylopez99 wrote:
On Jul 11, 5:07 pm, "B. wrote:
http://gambit.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...rview-with-the...

Have you read the book "Curse of Kirsan"? It's a collection of
articles by a chess loving woman journalist, Susan something (not
Polgar).

Kirsan gets a bad rap, but to be fair in his corner of the world his
kind of rule is routine--just look at the crazy leaders in the
"Stans" (one of them employed a giant rotating statue of himself that
followed the sun).

RL

Yes, I've read Curse of Kirsan. Kirsan gets a bad rap and deservedly so.
Old July 12th 10, 01:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

wrote:

On Jul 11, 10:47*am, raylopez99 wrote:

On Jul 11, 5:07*pm, "B. Lafferty" wrote:

http://gambit.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...rview-with-the...

Have you read the book "Curse of Kirsan"? *It's a collection of
articles by a chess loving woman journalist, Susan something (not
Polgar).

* Sarah Hurst.

http://www.amazon.com/Curse-Kirsan-S...90151/ref=sr_1....

Good book, best read between the lines, going through it now. *Another
human interest book I plan to read is Hallman's The Chess Artist (on
my bookshelf forever). *

Goodness, what a pretentious mess that book was.
Old July 12th 10, 01:50 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

wrote:

On Jul 11, 10:47*am, raylopez99 wrote:

On Jul 11, 5:07*pm, "B. Lafferty" wrote:

http://gambit.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...rview-with-the...

Have you read the book "Curse of Kirsan"? *It's a collection of
articles by a chess loving woman journalist, Susan something (not
Polgar).

* Sarah Hurst.

http://www.amazon.com/Curse-Kirsan-S...90151/ref=sr_1...

Good book, best read between the lines, going through it now. *Another
human interest book I plan to read is Hallman's The Chess Artist (on
my bookshelf forever). *

* I didn't care all that much for Hallman's book. He was sort of a
chess equivalent of Bob Dylan's Mr. Jones:

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review406.pdf

Anything by Hans Rees is pretty good too for
human interest.

* There I heartily agree.

BTW, I should have corrected your spelling. It's Hans /Ree/, not
"Rees." Rhymes with "ray," so it should be easy for you to remember.
Old July 12th 10, 09:57 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

wrote:

On Jul 11, 10:47*am, raylopez99 wrote:

On Jul 11, 5:07*pm, "B. Lafferty" wrote:

http://gambit.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...rview-with-the...

Have you read the book "Curse of Kirsan"? *It's a collection of
articles by a chess loving woman journalist, Susan something (not
Polgar).

* Sarah Hurst.

http://www.amazon.com/Curse-Kirsan-S...90151/ref=sr_1...

Good book, best read between the lines, going through it now. *Another
human interest book I plan to read is Hallman's The Chess Artist (on
my bookshelf forever). *

* I didn't care all that much for Hallman's book. He was sort of a
chess equivalent of Bob Dylan's Mr. Jones:

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review406.pdf

You botched that review. It was actually positive, but your
negativity killed it. In other words, reading your review, I now look
forward to reading Hallman's book. That's what I mean by "botched
it", not that your review is wrong. Try and be a little more positive
TK--it will make you live longer too.

Have you read this book: "King's Gambit: A Son, A Father, and the
World's Most Dangerous Game by Paul Hoffman (Hardcover - Sept. 11,
2007)" What did you think of it? It was mundane for me, but had a
few interesting stories. Such as the one about French GM Bacrot (or
Lautier) who played with Hoffman's friend in Libya, and chatted under
a pseudonym online--I wonder where GMs chat?

Anything by Hans Rees is pretty good too for
human interest.

* There I heartily agree.

BTW it's Hans REE, not Rees. Just FYI.

RL

Old July 12th 10, 01:16 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

wrote:

* I didn't care all that much for Hallman's book. He was sort of a
chess equivalent of Bob Dylan's Mr. Jones:

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review406.pdf

You botched that review. *It was actually positive, but your
negativity killed it. *In other words, reading your review, I now look
forward to reading Hallman's book.

It's a free country, Ray.

*That's what I mean by "botched
it", not that your review is wrong. *Try and be a little more positive
TK--it will make you live longer too.

This is like Jacke Gleason advising Twiggy to lose weight.

Have you read this book: "King's Gambit: A Son, A Father, and the
World's Most Dangerous Game by Paul Hoffman (Hardcover - Sept. 11,
2007)" *What did you think of it?

Haven't seen it.

BTW it's Hans REE, not Rees. *Just FYI.

Yes, I told you that yesterday. See the post just above your last
one.