Old August 15th 10, 01:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default FIDE/CAS Update

CAS has set a hearing date in the Karpov vs. Kirsan arbitration. The
date is prior to the FIDE meeting in Siberia. This means that CAS is
moving very expeditiously toward deciding the dispute--possibly before
the scheduled presidential election vote.

I understand the Case & White have been devoting substantial pro bono
effort to hearing preparations. The big question is whether or not
Kirsan will find a face saving way to withdraw thereby sparing himself
and his Russian political masters the eventual airing of much dirty
laundry. Stay tuned.
Old August 15th 10, 11:16 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Aug 15, 3:21*am, "B. Lafferty" wrote:
CAS has set a hearing date in the Karpov vs. Kirsan arbitration. *The
date is prior to the FIDE meeting in Siberia. *This means that CAS is
moving very expeditiously toward deciding the dispute--possibly before
the scheduled presidential election vote.

I understand the Case & White have been devoting substantial pro bono
effort to hearing preparations.

Why? Is Karpov poor? No. I doubt C&W, and expense big city firm,
would take on this case pro bono, unless some partner really loves
chess and wants to flatter Karpov.

The big question is whether or not
Kirsan will find a face saving way to withdraw thereby sparing himself
and his Russian political masters the eventual airing of much dirty
laundry. Stay tuned.

The big question is why you are so interested in this tempest in a
teapot. Do you want to run for Fide President?

RL
Old August 15th 10, 03:01 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On 8/15/2010 6:16 AM, raylopez99 wrote:
On Aug 15, 3:21 am, "B. wrote:
CAS has set a hearing date in the Karpov vs. Kirsan arbitration. The
date is prior to the FIDE meeting in Siberia. This means that CAS is
moving very expeditiously toward deciding the dispute--possibly before
the scheduled presidential election vote.

I understand the Case& White have been devoting substantial pro bono
effort to hearing preparations.

Why? Is Karpov poor? No. I doubt C&W, and expense big city firm,
would take on this case pro bono, unless some partner really loves
chess and wants to flatter Karpov.

I suggest that you direct your question to Case & White's management
committee.

The big question is whether or not
Kirsan will find a face saving way to withdraw thereby sparing himself
and his Russian political masters the eventual airing of much dirty
laundry. Stay tuned.

The big question is why you are so interested in this tempest in a
teapot. Do you want to run for Fide President?

I'm interested in it for the same reason as others in the chess
community. Do you play chess?

RL

Old August 16th 10, 10:54 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Aug 15, 5:01*pm, "B. Lafferty" wrote:
On 8/15/2010 6:16 AM, raylopez99 wrote: On Aug 15, 3:21 am, "B. *wrote:

Why? *Is Karpov poor? *No. *I doubt C&W, and expense big city firm,
would take on this case pro bono, unless some partner really loves
chess and wants to flatter Karpov.

I suggest that you direct your question to Case & White's management
committee.

Impractical, they would not answer me. But my doubts stand
unanswered--you fail to prove why C&W would take on Karpov pro bono.

The big question is why you are so interested in this tempest in a
teapot. Do you want to run for Fide President?

I'm interested in it for the same reason as others in the chess
community. *Do you play chess?

Yes. But playing chess and chess politics are two different spheres
of activity.

RL
Old August 16th 10, 02:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Aug 15, 3:16*am, raylopez99 wrote:
[...]

You're mistaken. (Well, I suppose it's possible that the two C&W
attorneys who spoke at the USCF Delegates' meeting were lying, but I'd
say the odds favor you not knowing what you're talking about.) They
claim they're doing the work pro bono, out of an interest in cleaning
up the legal system in the former Soviet Union. They've been heavily
involved in that since the early 90s. Also, one of their people,
Richard Conn, is running for the Presidential Board on Karpov's
ticket. (I don't know if he's a partner or an associate. C&W has
something like 5000 people on staff.) He's a player, though not very
active lately; you can look him up on the MSA. He got involved as a
crony of Kasparov, who is now good buddies with Karpov. Don't you
think you should at least _try_ to get some facts before shooting your
mouth off, Ray?

Old August 16th 10, 06:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On 8/16/2010 5:54 AM, raylopez99 wrote:
On Aug 15, 5:01 pm, "B. wrote:
On 8/15/2010 6:16 AM, raylopez99 wrote: On Aug 15, 3:21 am, "B. wrote:

Why? Is Karpov poor? No. I doubt C&W, and expense big city firm,
would take on this case pro bono, unless some partner really loves
chess and wants to flatter Karpov.

I suggest that you direct your question to Case& White's management
committee.

Impractical, they would not answer me. But my doubts stand
unanswered--you fail to prove why C&W would take on Karpov pro bono.

I don't have to prove C & W has taken the case pro bono. they have said
they have. As to an explanation why they decided to take the case,
you'll have to ask them.

The big question is why you are so interested in this tempest in a
teapot. Do you want to run for Fide President?

I'm interested in it for the same reason as others in the chess
community. Do you play chess?

Yes. But playing chess and chess politics are two different spheres
of activity.

Some people are interested in both spheres regarding chess. You're
apparently not. That OK. Your choice.

RL

Old August 16th 10, 07:33 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Aug 16, 4:29*pm, jkh001 wrote:
[...]

That simply makes no sense. How is Fide, running out of Athens, GR
where I post, related to the legal system of the ex-USSR? You talking
about Kirsan and Kalymna now?

They've been heavily
involved in that since the early 90s. Also, one of their people,
Richard Conn, is running for the Presidential Board on Karpov's
ticket. (I don't know if he's a partner or an associate. C&W has
something like 5000 people on staff.) He's a player, though not very
active lately; you can look him up on the MSA. He got involved as a
crony of Kasparov, who is now good buddies with Karpov.

I would wager Conn is a partner, if he's trying to write off, as pro
bono, stuff like this, which is clearly not pro bono--especially if
Conn has a interest in the matter, as you claim. Pro bono is for
helping poor people. Probably Conn is an influential partner as well,
with a large book of business, for him to get away with this (if
you're facts are correct).

Don't you
think you should at least _try_ to get some facts before shooting your
mouth off, Ray?

Your "facts" are not proven--I'm just taking what you said and going
with it.

RL
Old August 17th 10, 01:19 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Aug 16, 11:33*am, raylopez99 wrote:
On Aug 16, 4:29*pm, jkh001 wrote:

[...]

What "facts" would those be, Ray? The facts that Richard Conn and
another attorney from C&S addressed the Delegates' Meeting and said
what I told you they said? Of course, they could have been lying. Or
you could be a cretin. Which of those seems more likely?

What a putz.

Old August 17th 10, 09:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Aug 15, 6:16*am, raylopez99 wrote:
[...]

Obviously, he as a lawyer feels ably qualified to comment on this and
other matters. Apparently you feel yourself to ably qualified to
deprecate other people's remarks and abilities. For instance, you
wanted to see a chess game of mine for the purpose of remarking
unfavorably. Aren't you the clever spoilsport.

David Ames.