Old August 16th 10, 04:06 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

Default Sam's Games from the 2010 US Open Championship

On Aug 15, 12:12*pm, samsloan wrote:

After the game, I informed her that she is probably a distant cousin
of mine as my great-great-grandmother was Elizabeth McRobert
(1812-1879) from Stranraer, Scotland and the name is not common even
there.

Sam, everyone is at least a distant cousin of everyone else.

[Event "US Open Championship"]
[Site "Irvine, California"]
[Date "2010.08.06"]
[Round "05"]
[White "Kopstein,Evan"]
[Black "Sloan,Sam"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[ECO "A80"]
[WhiteElo "1515"]
[BlackElo "1912"]

This game had a lot of missed opportunities, especially for White,
who blew several winning chances. After Sloan misplayed the opening
and dropped a pawn, he was on the defensive all the rest of the way,
and never fully off the hook until the last move. A few Rybka-assisted
comments below:

1.Nf3 f5 2.d4 Nf6 3.Bf4 d6 4.e3 g6 5.Bc4 d5

I'm not up on current Dutch theory, but surely it's not a good idea
to combine the Stonewall and Leningrad lines?

6.Bb3 c6 7.Nbd2 e6 8.Qe2 Bg7 9.c4 00 10.h3 Nbd7 11.cxd5 exd5 12.00
Ne4 13.Qd3 Re8 14.Rac1 Nf8 15.Be5 Bh6?

A serious oversight. Better 15...Be6 to unpin the d-pawn. White
alertly pounces.

16.Nxe4! fxe4 17.Qxe4 Bf5 18.Qh4 Qxh4 19.Nxh4 Be4 20.Bc2 Bxc2 21.Rxc2
Nd7 22.Bh2 Nf6 23.Nf3 Ne4 24.b4

Not sure the minority attack is the best approach, though it works
out well enough here.

24...a6 25.a4 Re6 26.Rb1 Kf7 27.b5 axb5 28.axb5 Ra3??

A more serious error than at move 15. Better 28cxb5.

29.Ne5+ Kg8 30.bxc6 bxc6 31.Rb8+ Kg7 32.Rb7+

32.g4 was best, to give the king some Luft.

32...Kg8 33.Bf4?!

Again, better 33.g4.

33...Ra1+?

Better 33...g5.

34.Kh2 Bxf4+ 35.exf4 Ra6 36.Rcb2

Why not the immediate 36.Rc7, going after the pawn?

36...Nd6 37.Rc7 Nb5 38.Rd7

Not bad, but stronger seems 38.Rc8+ Kg7 39.Nxc6 Rexc6 40.Rxc6 Rxc6
41.Rxb5 and White should win pretty easily.

38...Ra8 39.Nxc6 Rxc6 40.Rxb5 Rc2 41.Rbb7 Rxf2 42.Rxh7?!

This really lessens Whites winning chances. The simple 42.Kg3 was
quite good, but also, victory could be forced by 42.Rg7+ Kf8 43.Rxh7
Kg8 44.Rbg7+ Kf8 45.Rf7+ Ke8 (or 45...Kg8 46.Rhg7+ Kh8 47.Rxg6), and
now the surprising 46.f5!! is crushing. Ill let interested readers
work out the variations.
Also, if White couldnt find 46.f5, the mundane 46.Kg3 and 46.Kg1
were good enough to win also.

42...Rxf4 43.Rhg7+ Kh8 44.Rxg6 Rxd4 45.Rg5 Rd8 46.Rb6 Kh7 47.Rbg6 Re4
48.Rg7+ Kh8 49.Rg3 d4 50.R7g5 Re7 51.Rd3 Kh7 52.h4 Kh6 53.g3 Re4
54.Kh3 Re2??

This gives White one more chance, which he misses. Better defense
lay in 54Rd6, Rd7, or Kh7.

55.Rg4 Re3 56.Rxe3 dxe3 57.Re4 Rd3 58.Kg4 Ra3 59.Re6+

The immediate 59.Kf4 seems most logical.

59Kg7 60.Kf3

Again, why not 60.Kf4, so that the pawn cannot advance with check?

60e2+ 61.Kxe2?

Finally blowing the win for good. 61.Kf2! should still win.

61...Rxg3 -

Old August 16th 10, 06:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
sd sd is offline

On Aug 16, 10:06*am, Taylor Kingston
wrote:

Gee Taylor you actually got the position and analysis correct. I
suppose that is the difference between an 1800/postal master who has
earned actual ratings and a fantasy league 1800.

SBD
Old August 16th 10, 07:36 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

wrote:

Gee Taylor you actually got the position and analysis correct. I
suppose that is the difference between an 1800/postal master who has
earned actual ratings and a fantasy league 1800.

SBD

Or gee whiz, no difference between somebody running Fritz on a strong
multi-core processor and somebody running Rybka on a similar machine.
Using PCs, we are all grandmasters.

Except you, Fart. You insist on doing things by hand, the old
fashioned way. That don't fly anymore, flyboy.

RL
Old August 16th 10, 08:06 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
sd sd is offline

One thing I really like about Sam's games is that they don't follow
the statement - was it in Lasker's Manual? - that when one reaches a
certain age, one no longer plays cowboys and Indians, but settles down
to a more sedate chess. In many ways - both the good and bad, he
reminds me of Diemer.

It must be very hard to continually play with that "balls to the wall"
style at his age.

SBD
Old August 16th 10, 08:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Aug 16, 3:06*pm, sd wrote:
One thing I really like about Sam's games is that they don't follow
the statement - was it in Lasker's Manual? - that when one reaches a
certain age, one no longer plays cowboys and Indians, but settles down
to a more sedate chess. In many ways - both the good and bad, he
reminds me of Diemer.

It must be very hard to continually play with that "balls to the wall"
style at his age. SBD

I think his fondest dream is to steal one in the opening. Most people
have never seen 1 g4 in a tournament and know zilch about any opening
traps involved there. I started playing 1 d4, followed by 2. Nf3 to
avoid a bunch of annoying gambits that black could play after 2. c4.
And not just gambits but things like the Nimzo-Indian and Benoni don't
seem to work as smooth without that early c4.

Old August 16th 10, 10:23 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Aug 16, 3:06*pm, sd wrote:
One thing I really like about Sam's games is that they don't follow
the statement - was it in Lasker's Manual? - that when one reaches a
certain age, one no longer plays cowboys and Indians, but settles down
to a more sedate chess. In many ways - both the good and bad, he
reminds me of Diemer.

It must be very hard to continually play with that "balls to the wall"
style at his age.

Based on what I've seen of Sam's chess, I think it might be more
accurate to say he is always trying for a cheap surprise or swindle.
He has little taste and inclination for sound positional chess, and so
just keeps throwing up junk, hoping to produce enough confusion that
he'll get a blunder to pounce on.
Old August 16th 10, 11:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer
sd sd is offline

On Aug 16, 4:23*pm, Taylor Kingston
wrote:

* Based on what I've seen of Sam's chess, I think it might be more
accurate to say he is always trying for a cheap surprise or swindle.
He has little taste and inclination for sound positional chess, and so
just keeps throwing up junk, hoping to produce enough confusion that
he'll get a blunder to pounce on.

I remember when Richard Verber died - a giant in more ways than one to
many of us in Illinois chess- John Tomas wrote in the Illinois Chess
Bulletin that he thought - and this is from memory, so not exact, that
essentially Verber's opening repertoire consisted of really no more
than a collection of opening traps, and he always thought that that
hindered Verber from achieving higher levels than he did. It meant he
reigned supreme in those tournaments with four rounds "all in one day"
we called tornadoes - and a friend of mine summed up as "three fish
and a chess game" but left him flat when competing for higher honors.
As the article was essentially a eulogy, Tomas didn't mean this
pejoratively but simply as a matter of fact.

I always thought you had to develop that positional sense with age as
you would eventually lack the energy to constantly spring "traps,
pitfalls, and swindles" but Sloan is of course something of an
Energizer Bunny of chess anyway.

SBD
Old August 17th 10, 01:47 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Aug 16, 5:23*pm, Taylor Kingston
wrote:

* Based on what I've seen of Sam's chess, I think it might be more
accurate to say he is always trying for a cheap surprise or swindle.

Sam's chess reflects his philosophy of life.

Old August 17th 10, 08:34 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,alt.chess,rec.games.chess.computer

On Aug 17, 1:45*am, sd wrote:

I always thought you had to develop that positional sense with age as
you would eventually lack the energy to constantly spring "traps,
pitfalls, and swindles" but Sloan is of course something of an
Energizer Bunny of chess anyway.

Hey Fart: Sam read the above and wants to you something profound:
"FU".

And Sam on any given day can beat you about 25% of the time, being
within 200 points of your (inflated) Elo.

As for your sidekick Taylor Kingston, he would lose to Sam playing his
"positional" chess ala Dr. Tarrasch vs Lasker. TK is Tarrasch to
Sam's Lasker.

RL