Old September 22nd 10, 06:21 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default John Hillery, Requiescat in pace

Brian Lafftery has caused a great controversy when he posted the
following to the USCF Issues Forum:

My experience of John Hillary was entirely negative. Rarely have I
come across a person so completely filled with bile and the false
argumentation of the sophist. In my opinion, based on my interactions
with him, the world is a better place with him moving on to his next
incarnation. To label him a curmudgeon, as some have, does a
disservice to curmudgeons.

And as for pot-kettle-black, you can take that and your epitaph and
send it to that part of your anatomy where there is no sunlight.

Carry on.
Old September 22nd 10, 10:07 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Sep 22, 8:21*am, samsloan wrote:
Brian Lafftery has caused a great controversy when he posted the
following to the USCF Issues Forum:

My experience of John Hillary was entirely negative. Rarely have I
come across a person so completely filled with bile and the false
argumentation of the sophist. In my opinion, based on my interactions
with him, the world is a better place with him moving on to his next
incarnation. To label him a curmudgeon, as some have, does a
disservice to curmudgeons.

And as for pot-kettle-black, you can take that and your epitaph and
send it to that part of your anatomy where there is no sunlight.

Carry on.

Who are you talking about? John Hillary or Brian Laffery? Or are
they the same person? Are you the real Sam Sloan or the fake one?

More questions than answers.

RL

Old September 22nd 10, 10:28 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Sep 22, 6:21*am, samsloan wrote:
Brian Lafftery has caused a great controversy when he posted the
following to the USCF Issues Forum:

My experience of John Hillary was entirely negative. Rarely have I
come across a person so completely filled with bile and the false
argumentation of the sophist. In my opinion, based on my interactions
with him, the world is a better place with him moving on to his next
incarnation. To label him a curmudgeon, as some have, does a
disservice to curmudgeons.

And as for pot-kettle-black, you can take that and your epitaph and
send it to that part of your anatomy where there is no sunlight.

Carry on.

Uh huh. And what was your experience of John HillEry?

Old September 22nd 10, 12:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On 9/22/2010 1:21 AM, samsloan wrote:
Brian Lafftery has caused a great controversy when he posted the
following to the USCF Issues Forum:

My experience of John Hillary was entirely negative. Rarely have I
come across a person so completely filled with bile and the false
argumentation of the sophist. In my opinion, based on my interactions
with him, the world is a better place with him moving on to his next
incarnation. To label him a curmudgeon, as some have, does a
disservice to curmudgeons.

And as for pot-kettle-black, you can take that and your epitaph and
send it to that part of your anatomy where there is no sunlight.

Carry on.

I don't think this qualifies as a "great' controversy, Sam.

While Hillary made many useful observations, they were nearly always
presented with sarcasm and vitriol. Shortly before he died, I began
highlighting those parts of his posts in red over on the forum and in
his last post that I saw actually made his points in a relatively
straight forward manner.

Old September 22nd 10, 02:27 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Sep 22, 1:21*am, samsloan wrote:
Brian Lafftery has caused a great controversy when he posted the
following to the USCF Issues Forum:

My experience of John Hillary was entirely negative. Rarely have I
come across a person so completely filled with bile and the false
argumentation of the sophist. In my opinion, based on my interactions
with him, the world is a better place with him moving on to his next
incarnation. To label him a curmudgeon, as some have, does a
disservice to curmudgeons.

And as for pot-kettle-black, you can take that and your epitaph and
send it to that part of your anatomy where there is no sunlight.

Carry on.

Nastiness without a trace of wit.
Old September 22nd 10, 02:29 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Sep 22, 5:28*am, Mark Houlsby wrote:
On Sep 22, 6:21*am, samsloan wrote:

Brian Lafftery has caused a great controversy when he posted the
following to the USCF Issues Forum:

My experience of John Hillary was entirely negative. Rarely have I
come across a person so completely filled with bile and the false
argumentation of the sophist. In my opinion, based on my interactions
with him, the world is a better place with him moving on to his next
incarnation. To label him a curmudgeon, as some have, does a
disservice to curmudgeons.

And as for pot-kettle-black, you can take that and your epitaph and
send it to that part of your anatomy where there is no sunlight.

Carry on.

Uh huh. And what was your experience of John HillEry?

"Tell us, Brian, does this sort of pseudo-argument often succeed in
the
drunken barfights which appear to be your natural milieu? I know it
wouldn't work in court, since the judge would simply slap you with
contempt. Of course, the contempt of everyone around you is something
you ought to be used to by now."
- John Hillery
Old September 22nd 10, 05:51 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Sep 22, 9:27*am, The Historian wrote:

Carry on.

Nastiness without a trace of wit.

That would be John
Old September 22nd 10, 05:52 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Sep 22, 9:29*am, The Historian wrote:

Uh huh. And what was your experience of John HillEry?

"Tell us, Brian, does this sort of pseudo-argument often succeed in
the
drunken barfights which appear to be your natural milieu? I know it
wouldn't work in court, since the judge would simply slap you with
contempt. Of course, the contempt of everyone around you is something
you ought to be used to by now."
- John Hillery-

Classic John. May he be in peace now.
Old September 22nd 10, 06:28 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Sep 22, 7:51*pm, None wrote:
On Sep 22, 9:27*am, The Historian wrote:

Carry on.

Nastiness without a trace of wit.

That would be John

It seems he was just a troll, but in real life. Or maybe he was
antisocial. In which case, be fortunate he did not, once he knew he
was going to die, to take as many people as he could with him. That
stuff happens all the time in LA (I used to live there). To live and
die in LA.

RL