Old September 28th 10, 03:39 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default FEN vs. ASCII (was: I have arrived at the World Chess Olympiad inKhanty-Mansiysk, Siberia, Russia)

On Sep 28, 2:12*am, Bobcat wrote:
a serious flaw in FEN in that it cannot be 'solved' or easily
decoded,
unlike the elementary:
wKg1,Qd1,Nd2,e3,Bc1,c2,Ra1,e1,Pa2,b2,e4,f4,g4,h3/
bKg8,Qb6,Ne5,f6,Be7,g6,Rc8,e8,Pa6,b5,d6,f7,g7,h7

And *here* is the real bottom line!! Given that Algebraic Notation is
being promoted as the universal form of chess notation, I can not see
why FEN is even necessary as AN seems easier to decipher than FEN.
While FEN might be easier for a computer to decode it is still taking
me a lot longer than I care to admit to "reading" a FEN setup. SIGH I
suspect it is just a matter of time before it becomes second nature,
but the learning curve is a bit steep.

It could be that Fritz doesn't offer ASCII as an option in its copy
function. When playing thru a game on my Fritz8, and I click on Edit/
Copy, the only options I get is "Copy Game" and "Copy Position." No
choice of FEN or ASCII. So those of us who paste positions here just
take what Fritz gives.
Looking a bit further just now, I see that you can get an ASCII
copy, but you have to go through File/New/Position Setup and then
choose the "Copy ASCII" bar in the lower right corner.
Perhaps one can set ASCII as the default copy mode with the Options
menu?
Old September 28th 10, 09:06 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On 28 Sep, 15:39, Taylor Kingston wrote:
On Sep 28, 2:12*am, Bobcat wrote:

[...]

I confess that I don't understand the need to set anything as a
default copy
mode. In Fritz, in the desired position,, hit 's', and click "Copy
ASCII" or,
indeed, "Copy FEN".
Old September 28th 10, 09:45 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Sep 28, 2:12*am, Bobcat wrote:

[...]

Aha! Yes, that works, even on my older level of Fritz. Thank you.