Old September 29th 10, 05:55 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

Default Ilyumzhinov Re-elected!?

On 9/29/2010 11:26 AM, Wlodzimierz Holsztynski (Wlod) wrote:
On Sep 29, 7:31 am, wrote:
OUTRAGEOUS CONDUCT OF CONGRESS MEETING

[...] Apparently Kirsan ran the meeting, refusing to permit Kasparov or
Karpov to speak and shut off all members of the opposition. The
battle on the floor went on for hours as members of the Karpov team
kept demanding to speak. I am told that the Congress is on videotape,
which needs to be dispersed as widely as possible.

Clearly, the time has come for a new world chess organization.
[...]

Larry Parr

No! Chess players are dumb, including Karpov and Kasparov.
It's time to finally understand that no total chess
organization is needed, that any such organization
will keep damaging the cause of chess. The corruption, abuse
and degeneration is inherent in the total (a relative of totalitarian)
organizations.

Wlod

PS. I have tried to convey this message for years.
Perhaps now it will become a public domain common
understanding. It's long overdue.

I agree with you.
In the long run, it doesn't matter. I see certain disgraced people on the
international chess stage attempting comebacks either directly themselves
or through proxies. The reason this matters not at all, is because chess is
mostly played outside of the FIDE compound. The loss of sponsorship
money and
the need to hold Olympiads in Siberia speak louder than words. Kirsan
and his
team, including anyone associated with him, are discredited in all but
the most corrupt countries.
When players like MC pull out of tournament cycles, that says it all.
The world plays chess via the Internet and does not need FIDE, or the
USCF for that matter.
Play chess locally over the board or on web servers like ICCF, Babas,
GameKnot and chess.com. Enjoy the game!

Old September 30th 10, 11:48 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Sep 29, 7:31 am, wrote:
[...]

Hammer of Thor, indeed.

The world plays chess via the Internet and does not need FIDE, or the
USCF for that matter.

Certainly the world outside the United States does not need the USCF.

That means most chess players.

Playing on the internet presents its own challenges, given the number
of people who cheat.

Play chess locally over the board or on web servers like ICCF, Babas,
GameKnot and chess.com. Enjoy the game!

AFAICT Babaschess is just a client, geared to playing on FICS, but
with
other capabilities.

Apart from all that, I agree with you ;-)

You're quite right, Babas is a GUI for use with FICS. I find it
interesting that ICC is supposedly having difficulty maintaining its
membership numbers and/or has reached a no growth state. I don't know
about playchess. Chess Assistant Club seems fairly active with a good
variety of tournaments. It's also free and does have an interface with
Chess Assistant (not free) for accessing ICC.

I agree that the mindset of many of these people comes from having been
raised in totalitarian systems. What we are seeing with Internet based
chess is the decentralization of chess, a process fundamentally
anti-totalitarian.