Old October 1st 10, 05:08 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess,soc.culture.russian,soc.culture.bulgaria

Default Bulgarian Party a Great Success

Bulgarian Party a Great Success

On the evening of 30 September 2010, the Bulgarian Chess Federation
held a party at the Gostinyi Dvor Shopping Center in Khaty-Mansiysk,
Siberia, Russia.

The purpose of the party was to make a presentation for the bid by
Albena, Bulgaria to host the 2014 World Chess Olympiad.

The party was hosted by chess tournament organizer Dr. Jivko Dimitrov.
Among those present were former World Champion Veselin Topalov and
Former Woman's World Champion Antoaneta Stefanova, both of Bulgaria.

Just about everybody who is anybody in the world chess was at the
Bulgarian Party. I could not possibly list them all.

Just to name a few of them, the entire Karpov Team that had just lost
the election for FIDE President was there. Present were Anatoly
Karpov, Garry Kasparov, Richard Conn, Max Dlugy, Karpov lawyers Ank
Santens and Olga Mouraviova of White and Case, plus Karpov supporters
Horst Metzing of Germany, Damir Levacic of France, Ochoa of Spain, the
guy from Argentina and another person whose name I do not know.

On the other hand I did not see many members of the winning ticket of
Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, except for Beatriz Marinello, who is now the
delegate from Chile.

Zsuzsa Polgar was seen engaged in a long conversation with US Delegate
Michael Khordakovsky. Zsuzsa is now persona non grata in the United
States Chess Federation in view of her unsuccessful $25 million
lawsuit against the USCF.

Jorge Vega of Mexico, who has just been re-elected Continental
President for the Americas, was there. Perhaps Richard Conn knows who
he is now.

Jan Berglund, Citizen of the World, who this time represents the
Pacific Island of Palau, was there too.

I was one of the last to leave the party but when I left Anatoly
Karpov was still there engaged in a long conversation with somebody I
did not recognize.

There were a lot of beautiful Siberian girls there. You know how those
Siberian girls are. On the other hand, I did not see any Bulgarian
girls there, except of course Antoaneta Stefanova, former Woman's
World Champion.

I took a lot of pictures at the Bulgarian Party and I will post them
when I get back to the USA.

I preferred the Bulgarian Party to the Bermuda Party. The Bermuda
Party was a great party to dance, drink and possibly even pick up a
girl because most of the 124 girls working as “Tutors” and guides for
the teams were there. However, the music at the Bermuda Party was loud
and constant and the security personnel would not allow pictures to be
taken so I could not get any “hot” pictures. (I got a lot of them at
the Bulgarian Party.)

You could not really talk to anybody at the Bermuda Party because the
music was so loud. The Bulgarian Party was the kind of party where
business can be conducted and deals made.

However, Bulgaria will have an uphill battle to win the bid for the
2014 World Chess Olympiad. Norway is the favorite and will hold its
party tonight. Norway is favored because almost all of us chess
players have been to and played in Bulgaria before, but almost none of
us have been to the upper reached of the Arctic Circle where Norway
proposes to hold its 2014 Chess Olympiad. Also, Bulgaria has already
had a Chess Olympiad, Varna 1962, whereas Norway has never had one.

Sam Sloan at Khanty-Mansiysk, Siberia, Russia