Old December 8th 10, 04:08 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.russian,alt.chess

Default The ABC of Chess by V. Grishin and E. Ilyin

The ABC of Chess

by V. Grishin and E. Ilyin, translated by Vivienne Burdon

http://www.amazon.com/dp/487187852X
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...SBN=487187852X

This book was first published in the mighty Soviet Union in 1972. It
is NOT a basic book to learn how to play chess or how to improve your
game. It is a story book with the chess pieces as a background. It is
suitable to be read to children who are interested in the game. The
basic moves and some simple mates are provided, but mostly it is a
story book.

The great thing about this book is the art work and design. The book
is filled with drawings of kings, elephants, knights on horseback,
boats and soldiers. The front and back cover provide examples of this.
There are 63 full color drawings in the original book. The presence of
elephants and boats in this book is because the chess piece we call
the bishop is called the elephant in Russian and the piece we call the
rook is called the boat in Russian.

This book was originally published in the Soviet Union as a 4-color
book. Almost every page contained colorful drawings of chess related
themes such as armies in battle. There are 63 full color drawings in
the original book.

Unfortunately, due to the high cost of publishing a book in four
colors, the 63 drawings in this book are reduced to grayscale. The
original 4-color version is still available online, but only as a used
book.

I have not been able to obtain biographical information on V. Grishin
or E. Ilyin or on the translator, Vivienne Burdon. Many sources citing
this book even spell the name of the second author wrong, For example,
Amazon spells his name Llyin. His actual name in caps is I L Y I N.

There are several strong chess players named Grishin but it is
unlikely that any of them is the author of this book. I look forward
to hearing from anyone who can provide information about these
authors. Since the name of the artist is not mentioned, it is possible
that the art work is by these authors as well.

One annoying thing about publications in the USSR is they always
provided the first initial but not the first name of a person. For
example, the World Chess Champion was B. Spassky. We knew that his
first name was Boris, but for less prominent persons such as Grishin
and E. Ilyin, we do not know their first names and would like to find
out. We do not even know their gender. The authors of most chess books
are men but I suspect that these authors of this book were woman.

Sam Sloan

Old December 8th 10, 07:43 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.russian,alt.chess

"samsloan" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
[...]

You don't have to be very bright in order to be a thief, but even stupid
thieves have heard of Google by now.

Владимир Григорьевич Гришин
Евгений Ильич Ильин

Шахматная азбука,
или
первые шаги по шахматной доске

Издательство «ФИЗКУЛЬТУ*А И СПО*Т» Москва 1972

Old December 8th 10, 10:11 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.russian,alt.chess

"samsloan" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
The ABC of Chess

by V. Grishin and E. Ilyin, translated by Vivienne Burdon

I have not been able to obtain biographical information on V. Grishin
or E. Ilyin

I wonder why?

Владимир Григорьевич Гришин
опытный педагог, методист Министерства просвещения
*СФС*. В течение нескольких лет он преподает шахматы
и некоторые другие спортивные игры в детском саду.
*азумеется, его опыт и наблюдения нашли отражение
в этой книжке.

Евгений Ильич Ильин
опытный литератор. Он много пишет о спорте,
и в частности о шахматах. Выбор темы не случаен —
Евгений Ильич кандидат в мастера по шахматам.

Old December 9th 10, 07:05 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.russian,alt.chess

On Dec 8, 5:11*pm, JürgenR wrote:
"samsloan" schrieb im ...

The ABC of Chess

by V. Grishin and E. Ilyin, translated by Vivienne Burdon

I have not been able to obtain biographical information on V. Grishin
or E. Ilyin

I wonder why?

Владимир Григорьевич Гришин
опытный педагог, методист Министерства просвещения
**СФС*. В течение нескольких лет он преподает шахматы
*и некоторые другие спортивные игры в детском саду.
**азумеется, его опыт и наблюдения нашли отражение
*в этой книжке.

Евгений Ильич Ильин
*опытный литератор. Он много пишет о спорте,
*и в частности о шахматах. Выбор темы не случаен —
*Евгений Ильич кандидат в мастера по шахматам.

Thank you for providing this very useful and helpful information.

Old December 9th 10, 12:17 PM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.russian,alt.chess

On Dec 8, 5:11 pm, JürgenR wrote:
"samsloan" schrieb im

The ABC of Chess

by V. Grishin and E. Ilyin, translated by Vivienne Burdon

I have not been able to obtain biographical information on V. Grishin
or E. Ilyin

I wonder why?

Владимир Григорьевич Гришин
опытный педагог, методист Министерства просвещения
*СФС*. В течение нескольких лет он преподает шахматы
и некоторые другие спортивные игры в детском саду.
*азумеется, его опыт и наблюдения нашли отражение
в этой книжке.

Евгений Ильич Ильин
опытный литератор. Он много пишет о спорте,
и в частности о шахматах. Выбор темы не случаен —
Евгений Ильич кандидат в мастера по шахматам.

Thank you for providing this very useful and helpful information.

Sam Sloan

Sloan, you are a fraud.
I didn't 'provide' anything. I googled for 30 seconds.

Old March 30th 11, 12:40 AM posted to rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.misc,soc.culture.russian,alt.chess

here's the first lesson in the ABCs of chess:

i domintate.

i dominate the game of chess. i dominate slammin' sammy sloan, and i dominte
you too.