Old December 14th 10, 02:12 PM posted to alt.chess

Default Which player won most games?

I have no doubt that what I am saying will not be news to most people,
but I thought that the following might be of interest.

If you take a total number of games by a known player, and divide it
by their wins only, you will come out with a number, probably not a
whole number. The higher that number is, the fewer number of wins they
have had as a total percentage of overall games played. The closer it
is to the integer "1", the greater is the number of their wins as a
percentage of all the games that they have played. When you do this
sum with all the greatest players, the player whose number is closer
to "1" than anybody else's, and by some distance, is Paul Morphy. Also
with a number not far off, in terms of overall wins, and lower than
others I have tested, are Steinitz, Lasker, Fischer and Alekhine. Does
this suggest that they were highly talented players, ie. because they
win CONSISTENTLY, at all stages of their career, against any
opponents, or is that reading too much into the situation?

Jim.
Old December 14th 10, 02:20 PM posted to alt.chess

Pillsbury, I might add, also has a very high ratio of wins as a
percentage of overall games played. Perhaps he could have been a world
champion?

Jim.
Old December 14th 10, 02:49 PM posted to alt.chess

I have also discounted certain players from the reckoning, such as
Greco and Eichborne, both of whom have a perfect score of 1, the
former because some think his games might be constructs designed for
the tuition of chess students, the latter because I suspect that he
played more games than we have on record, and only his wins have
survived.

Jim.