Old February 23rd 12, 12:48 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

Default Ishi Press has now Reprinted More than 100 Chess Books

On Jan 21, 10:20*pm, samsloan wrote:

As you know by now, I won the Silver Medal in the world Memory
championships.

How could you possibly remember this? It happened over two weeks
ago.

Old February 23rd 12, 02:35 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

On Feb 22, 4:48*pm, The Master wrote:
On Jan 21, 10:20*pm, samsloan wrote:

As you know by now, I won the Silver Medal in the world Memory
championships.

* How could you possibly remember this? *It happened over two weeks
ago.

I have been trying to think of jokes about winning the Silver Medal in
the World Memory Championship.

Something about I cannot remember how I did it.

However, the best one so far comes from Al Lawrence, who wrote that he
had been planning to compete in the World Memory Championship, but he
forgot about it.

Old February 23rd 12, 03:55 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

On Feb 22, 6:35*pm, samsloan wrote:
On Feb 22, 4:48*pm, The Master wrote:

On Jan 21, 10:20*pm, samsloan wrote:

As you know by now, I won the Silver Medal in the world Memory
championships.

* How could you possibly remember this? *It happened over two weeks
ago.

I have been trying to think of jokes about winning the Silver Medal in
the World Memory Championship.

Something about I cannot remember how I did it.

However, the best one so far comes from Al Lawrence, who wrote that he
had been planning to compete in the World Memory Championship, but he
forgot about it.

Sam Sloan

Apparently you can't remember /any/ of the alterations Dover
supposedly made in "all" their reprints, either.
Old February 23rd 12, 07:14 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

On Feb 22, 9:35*pm, samsloan wrote:

As you know by now, I won the Silver Medal in the world Memory
championships.

* How could you possibly remember this? *It happened over two weeks
ago.

I have been trying to think of jokes about winning the Silver Medal in
the World Memory Championship.

Something about I cannot remember how I did it.

However, the best one so far comes from Al Lawrence, who wrote that he
had been planning to compete in the World Memory Championship, but he
forgot about it.

Well, not everyone has the ability to get around the entire world
'at will' in order to compete. In fact, I know a few people who
cannot well afford to enter certain 'big money' events even when they
come to town, as the U.S. Open did to Indianapolis a few of years ago,
let alone go galavanting around Asia on a whim. In fact, perhaps only
two players who have ever competed in one local club do galavant
'round like that: Ms. Yun Fan from China and a grandmaster from the
Phillipines... whose name slips my mind. Mark Paragua.

My own powers of recall are generally superb. For example, I still
remember that John Nunn and a crack team of famous grandmasters found
numerous 'improvements' on Bobby Fischer's original analysis,
publishing them in a 'new and improved' version of the old classic, My
60 Unforgettable Games', converted to algebraic notation. It goes
without saying that all these 'improvements' annoyed Bobby to no end,
and he complained bitterly in the press despite promises that he would
be paid royalties on the vastly superior published chess analysis of
his brilliant successors from Brittania.

But that was nothing when compared to my ability to recall how to
install ancient operating systems on dusty old PCs I still have lying
around. No CD-rom driver? No problem. Just insert the floppy disk
(5.25" or 3.5") and type 'dir\' (granted, I have forgotten how to make
the darn thing stop before the text scrolls off-screen). I even
remember how to insert and play an 8-track tape, how to change
channels on a TV set that has no remote control, and how to pedal a
'Big Wheel' plastic tricycle. (Before that things get a little
fuzzy.) To swing forward, you extend your legs, and to swing back,
you pull them under you, I think. The best ride at Disneyland?
Pirates of the Caribbean. About four spoonfuls of cane sugar will
make that nasty tasting grown-up breakfast cereal --Cheerios or Corn
Flakes-- edible.
But all these ideas were vital for daily living. I'm not sure I could
recall trivia fed to me under conditions in which I am competing
against the world's best.

Old February 23rd 12, 08:14 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

On Feb 23, 2:14*pm, The Master wrote:

* Well, not everyone has the ability to get around the entire world
'at will' in order to compete. *In fact, I know a few people who
cannot well afford to enter certain 'big money' events even when they
come to town, as the U.S. Open did to Indianapolis a few of years ago,
let alone go galavanting around Asia on a whim. *In fact, perhaps only
two players who have ever competed in one local club do galavant
'round like that: Ms. Yun Fan from China and a grandmaster from the
Phillipines... whose name slips my mind. *Mark Paragua.

Do you mean Y.O. Olvido?

* My own powers of recall are generally superb. *For example, I still
remember that John Nunn and a crack team of famous grandmasters

Crack huh? Whatever happened to the push for drug testing at these
tourneys?

Old February 24th 12, 09:49 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

On Feb 23, 3:14*pm, None wrote:

* Well, not everyone has the ability to get around the entire world
'at will' in order to compete. *In fact, I know a few people who
cannot well afford to enter certain 'big money' events even when they
come to town, as the U.S. Open did to Indianapolis a few of years ago,
let alone go galavanting around Asia on a whim. *In fact, perhaps only
two players who have ever competed in one local club do galavant
'round like that: Ms. Yun Fan from China and a grandmaster from the
Phillipines... whose name slips my mind. *Mark Paragua.

Do you mean Y.O. Olvido?

No, I meant GM Mark Paragua.

* My own powers of recall are generally superb. *For example, I still
remember that John Nunn and a crack team of famous grandmasters

Crack huh? Whatever happened to the push for drug testing at these
tourneys?

Are you crazy? These British GMs no longer compete actively.
Instead, they 'cash in' by writing lots and lots of chess books, to be
consumed by unsuspecting newbies who actually believe they will
improve dramatically by studying such books-- especially those on
tricky chess openings.

Old February 25th 12, 04:56 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

On Feb 24, 4:49*pm, The Master wrote:
Crack huh? Whatever happened to the push for drug testing at these
tourneys?

* Are you crazy? *These British GMs no longer compete actively.
Instead, they 'cash in' by writing lots and lots of chess books, to be
consumed by unsuspecting newbies who actually believe they will
improve dramatically by studying such books-- especially those on
tricky chess openings.

Yes, well i'll say Nunn's treatsie on the two volumne Classical KID
was very beneficial to me but for the most part they are just data
dumps.

Old February 25th 12, 04:59 PM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis,rec.games.chess.misc,rec.games.chess.politics,rec.games.chess.computer,alt.chess

On Feb 24, 3:47*pm, None wrote:
On Feb 23, 3:14*pm, None wrote:

On Feb 23, 2:14*pm, The Master wrote:

* Well, not everyone has the ability to get around the entire world
'at will' in order to compete. *In fact, I know a few people who
cannot well afford to enter certain 'big money' events even when they
come to town, as the U.S. Open did to Indianapolis a few of years ago,
let alone go galavanting around Asia on a whim. *In fact, perhaps only
two players who have ever competed in one local club do galavant
'round like that: Ms. Yun Fan from China and a grandmaster from the
Phillipines... whose name slips my mind. *Mark Paragua.

Do you mean Y.O. Olvido?

* My own powers of recall are generally superb. *For example, I still
remember that John Nunn and a crack team of famous grandmasters

Crack huh? Whatever happened to the push for drug testing at these
tourneys?- Hide quoted text -

Old February 25th 12, 10:12 PM posted to rec.games.chess.misc,alt.chess

On Feb 23, 3:14*pm, None wrote:

* Are you crazy? *These British GMs no longer compete actively.
Instead, they 'cash in' by writing lots and lots of chess books, to be
consumed by unsuspecting newbies who actually believe they will
improve dramatically by studying such books-- especially those on
tricky chess openings.

I was always quite incapable of learning openings, but Nunn's book on
the Pirc was invaluable when I played postal chess. It's not an
"idea" book, though. I learned ideas from, for example, Keene's
"Flank Openings" that won me many games, though I never managed to
commit to memory any of the variations given.

William Hyde