Old August 16th 04, 01:47 PM
My name is Mac, not Spam

Default Rooks and pawns endgame help please

Hi. The following is a game I played on FICS recently. The time control was
G/60 with a 5s increment.

The game goes into a rook and pawns vs. rook and pawns endgame, with my
opponent up an extra pawn. I'm especially looking for any sort of help I can
get on my endgame, here, but any other advice is, as always, welcome.

In the end, I won, but not, I think, because I played the endgame (or the
rest of the game!) very well. In fact, I think I probably should have lost
this the way I was handling it. Thus, the request for help.

White: NN (1565)
Black: Frazier, Glenn M. (1463)
Event: FICS rated standard game, freechess.org
Date: 2004-08-16
(B01 Scandinavian, Icelandic G)

1 e4 d5
2 exd5 Nf6
3 c4 e6
4 Nc3 exd5
5 cxd5 Nxd5
6 Bc4 Be6
7 Qb3 Nxc3
8 dxc3 Bxc4
9 Qxc4 Bd6?!
10 Qb5+ Nc6
11 Qxb7 Ne5
12 Qb5+ Nd7
13 Nf3 Qe7+
14 Qe2 Qxe2+
15 Kxe2 0-0
16 Re1 Rfe8+
17 Be3 Bc5
18 Kf1 Bd6
19 Rad1 Ne5
20 Nxe5 Bxe5
21 g3 a5
22 Bd4 Bxd4
23 Rxe8+ Rxe8
24 Rxd4 Kf8
25 Rd5 Ra8
26 Rc5 Ra7
27 Ke2 Ke7
28 Kd3 Kd6
29 Kd4 a4
30 f4?! g6
31 Kc4 Rb7
32 Rb5 Ra7
33 Kb4 c6
34 Rb8 c5+
35 Kc4 f5
36 Rb5 Ra6?!
37 Rxc5 h6?!
38 Rd5+?! Kc6
39 Kd4? Rb6
40 b4 axb3
41 axb3 Rxb3
42 c4 Rb2
43 h3?! Rg2
44 c5??

If I've learned anything playing on FICS this last month, it's this: be
patient, and your opponent WILL blunder.

44 ... Rd2+ 0-1

--
Glenn 'Mac' Frazier
USCF#12721233, FICS:'Frazier', RedHotPawn.com:'GMF'

Date: 2004-08-16
(B01 Scandinavian, Icelandic G)

1 e4 d5
2 exd5 Nf6
3 c4 e6
4 Nc3 exd5
5 cxd5 Nxd5
6 Bc4 Be6
7 Qb3 Nxc3
8 dxc3 Bxc4
9 Qxc4 Bd6?!
10 Qb5+ Nc6
11 Qxb7 Ne5
12 Qb5+ Nd7
13 Nf3 Qe7+
14 Qe2 Qxe2+
15 Kxe2 0-0
16 Re1 Rfe8+
17 Be3 Bc5
18 Kf1 Bd6
19 Rad1 Ne5
20 Nxe5 Bxe5?

Before reaching the rook and pawn ending black makes a minor mistake
that white doesn't take advatange of: 20...Bxe5? should have lost a
pawn to 21.Bxa7! f6 (21...Rxa7 22.Rxe5! Kf8 (not 22...Rxe5 23.Rd8#)
23.Rxe8+ Kxf8 24.a3 +-) 22.Bd4 Reb8 (22...Rxa2 23.f4! +-) 23.Bxe5
fxe5 24.b4 +-

Better was 20...Rxe5

21 g3 a5
22 Bd4 Bxd4
23 Rxe8+

Slightly better was 23.Rxd4 since 23...Rxe1+ 24.Kxe1 would help White,
who wants to move his king to the queenside where he has the pawn
surplus.

Rxe8
24 Rxd4 Kf8

The ending will be won for white if he can make his rook and king
active and condem black's counterparts to to passive defense.
To that end 25.Rc4! is the best move and thhen the best play by both
sides would be 25...Rb8 threatening the b-pawn (25...Rc8 26.b3 should
either win another pawn for white or force a trade of rooks (or win a
pawn and force the rook trade). In any case Black is completely
lost.) 26.b3 Rb7 and we have a position in which Black's rook is
passively tied down to the defense of the queenside and Whites can
still move across the board. White's next plan is move his king to
the queenside and and then try force the win of the a-pawn or a trade
of rooks.

25 Rd5 Ra8
26 Rc5 Ra7
27 Ke2 Ke7
28 Kd3 Kd6
29 Kd4 a4

Possibly better is 29...c6!? to allow lateral movement by the rook and
also prevent White from taking the b-file with his rook.

30 f4?!

You were correct to evaluate this move as dubious. 30.Rd5+ and White
should be able to take the b-file with his rook and then win the
a-pawn. Even if Black activates his rook and wins some kingside pawns
he will be too late on the queenside, e.g. 30...Kc6 31.Kc4 Rb7 32.Rc5+
Kd6 33.Rb5 Ra7 34.Kb4 c6 35.Ra5 Re7 36.Rxa4 Re2 37.Kb3 Rxf2 38.Rf4
Rxh2 39.Rxf7 g6 40.a4 +-

g6

The other reason that 30.f4 was less good was that it allowed Black to
seize the b-file himself: 30...Rb7! Now white has a draw by
repetition via 31.Rd5+ Kc6 (not 31...Ke6 32.Re5+ and 33.Re2 defending
the b-pawn) 32.Rc5+ Kd6 33.Rd5+. If white avoids the perpetual check
he must give up his extra pawn and restore euqlaity: 31.Rd5+ Kc6 32.b4
axb3 33.axb3 Rxb3 34.Rd8 Rb2 35.Rg8 g6 36.Rg7 Rxh2 37.Rxf7 Rg2 38.Rxh7
Rxg3 =

31 Kc4 Rb7
32 Rb5 Ra7
33 Kb4 c6
34 Rb8

Here White could win with 34.Ra5 Re7 35.Re5! Ra7 Black cannot afford
to trade rooks because white's queenside pawns will queen much earlier
than black can get anything rolling on the kinside. 36.Re4 a3 (36...f5
37.Rd4+ Kc7 38.Ka3 and White wins the a-pawn without allowing Black
any counterplay) 37.b3 f5 38.Re5 Now white slowly strangles black,
who has no counterplay. A sample variation: 38...Ra8 39.h3 h6 40.c4
h5 41.c5+ Kd7 42.Re3 Ra6 43.Rd3+ Ke7 44.Rd6 Kf7 45.Kc4 with b4, Kb3
and b5 to follow.

Once White has won additional material and gotten his queenside pawns
rolling, black will probably be forced to trade rooks in order to stop
white from queening. The resulting king and pawn ending will be lost
for black because white will be able to capture the king-side pawns.

c5+
35 Kc4 f5
36 Rb5 Ra6?!
37 Rxc5 h6?!
38 Rd5+?! Kc6
39 Kd4? Rb6
40 b4 axb3
41 axb3 Rxb3
42 c4 Rb2
43 h3?!

I haven't added any comentary since move 35 because although there
were improvements for White and for Black they did not change the
evaluation of the position (+-). Here White missed an opportunity to
increase his advantage: 43.Ke5! Rxh2 44.Kf6 Rg2 45.Kxg6 Rxg3+ 46.Kxh6
Rc3 47.Kg5 Rxc4 48.Re5 and white should win because the Black king can
be kept away from the pawn.

Rg2
44 c5??

If white doesn't hang the rook I think that the game is a likely draw,
because Black is going to restore material equality and his rook will
be equally active to white's.

Old August 26th 04, 06:10 PM
My name is Mac, not Spam

Mike, what motivates you? You deserve more of it, whatever it is.

Your analysis and suggestions are always thoughtful, detailed, and useful,
and I see you providing them all over the place all the time. Free lessons
from a 1900+ for those of us down here in the 'D's and 'E's is a wonderful
thing.

Thanks.

in article , Mike Ogush at

Date: 2004-08-16