Old August 16th 04, 02:53 PM
Bugsy

http://www.chess-dictionary-chesmayne.net/

"Sean Deelier" wrote in message
I hear this mentioned by many players and yes, I know they are talking

about
the opening phase of the game but I am not sure what is meant by "opening
theory", what is it exactly?

Thanks.

Old August 16th 04, 06:38 PM
Mark S. Hathaway

Sean Deelier wrote:

I hear this mentioned by many players and yes, I know they are talking about
the opening phase of the game but I am not sure what is meant by "opening
theory", what is it exactly?

It's a compilation of master practice; what worked what didn't.
What worked is called 'theory' and is generally available for
reference from books like the Encyclopedia of Chess Openings (ECO)
or Modern Chess Openings (MCO) or Nunn's Chess Openings (NCO) or
Batsford's Chess Openings (BCO) or opening books which specialize
in a narrower area, such as just the Sicilian Defense or even
more specialized, such as the Breyer Variation of the Spanish Opening.

The authorship of these works may call into question it's validity,
but most good players will use several references when studying an
opening.

Some will only study their play with reference books after they've
played a game.

Old August 16th 04, 10:03 PM
Mike Ogush

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:53:45 -0400, "Bugsy" wrote:

http://www.chess-dictionary-chesmayne.net/

"Sean Deelier" wrote in message
I hear this mentioned by many players and yes, I know they are talking

about
the opening phase of the game but I am not sure what is meant by "opening
theory", what is it exactly?

Thanks.

The chess dictionary site does not hav an entry for "opening theory"
so I'll offer up my definition.

"Opening theory" is actually a misnomer in that it is the name for the
collective experience derived from practice suggesting the most
effective plans (and hence variations) appropriate to positions
arising from the opening.

Another way of looking at "opening theory" - it is the collection of
all possible variations and the corresponding evaluations for each
line when it transitions to the middle game.

An example of the first defintion - after 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4
4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 g6 6.Be3 Bg7 7.f3 O-O 8.Bc4 Nc6 9.Qd2 Bd7 we have
reached the Sicilian Defense, Dragon Variation, Yugoslav Attack.
Opening theory (e.g. the games that reached this position as well as
the analysis of those games) suggest that white's best plan is advance
one or both his kingside (h- and g-) pawns to pry open black's
kingside, to drive away the defending pieces (Nf6 and Bg7) and to use
the open files (either g or h) to conduct a mating attack. In the
meanwhile, Black's best plan is to counterattack on the queen's wing
using the Bg7 to advantage. Black can march his pawns (a- and b-) up
to move the Bc4 and Nc3 out of the way. Often Black will sacrifice
the exchange (a rook for Nc3) in order to further disrupt White's
queenside.

An example of the second definition: The Encylopedia of Chess Openings
variations with an ECO code of B75-B79. Note: the evaluations of
end positions in the lines as well as which lines are actually to be
preferred is not completely accurate because people (and computers)
are always finding improvements.

Old August 17th 04, 11:18 AM
Roman M. Parparov

Sean Deelier wrote:
I hear this mentioned by many players and yes, I know they are talking about
the opening phase of the game but I am not sure what is meant by "opening
theory", what is it exactly?

Thanks.

Opening theory is something that will become relevant long after you'll
learn what it is

--
Roman M. Parparov - NASA EOSDIS project node at TAU technical manager.
Email: http://www.nasa.proj.ac.il/
Old April 25th 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.games.chess.analysis
Ken Lovering

"Opening Theory" is the precision in play during the beginning stages of
tournament, which has evolved through the analysis and trial and error of
past performance.