Old August 16th 04, 06:57 PM
Florida Chess

Default disgusting player at the USOPEN (Florida)

I witnessed an absolutely disgusting player at the USOPEN:

He was a senior player with all sorts of open wounds on his arms

He constantly picked his teeth (with both hands) and then would touch
the pieces leaving fragments of decaying food/flesh on the pieces and
board

Next he would belch constantly with no effort to stop himself and just
being a spectator many feet away I could smell a very strong, foul
odor

He also found it necesary to constantly pick his nose

I wonder if his opponent shook his hand at the end of the game?

Comments?

Old August 16th 04, 08:16 PM
Bugsy

Under FIDE rules the tourney director could have done something, if he
received a complaint:

http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=EE101

Articles 12 & 13

om...

Old August 17th 04, 06:16 AM
Angelo DePalma

At the USATE last winter I played a guy who coughed like a mother****er
during our whole game. There was literally no consecutive 15-second period
of time in which he did not issue at least one piercing, hacking
expectoration. It seemed the whole room reverberated from his deep,
phlegm-driven hacking. It was the most annoying game I've ever played, worse
than losing to Peter Winston in 11 moves in 1971. This guy was also wearing
cotton gloves and appeared to have sores on his arms. He was a local NJ guy.

I was so disgusted after the game (I lost, of course) that for the first and
only time ever, I did not shake my opponent's hand. I didn't even
acknowledged that the game was over. I was so ****ed off at this guy, who
should have stayed in his hospice, that I simply picked up my clock and
pieces, put them away, and walked out into the lobby.

Wherever he is, may he expectorate his very lungs.

adp

Old August 17th 04, 11:36 AM
Wlodzimierz Holsztynski

"Bugsy" wrote in message . ..

Under FIDE rules the tourney director could have
done something, if he received a complaint:

http://www.fide.com/official/handbook.asp?level=EE101

Articles 12 & 13

It was article 12.2 which was violated
by Spassky during his last candidate
match against Korchnoy:

12.2 During play the players are forbidden
to make use of any notes, sources of information,
advice, or to analyse on another chessboard.
[...]

It worked for Spassky for a while,
pulled him up from a hopeless score
to a hopeful one, but Korchnoy got
a grip of himself and won the match anyway.

While Korchnoy is perceived as quarrelsome,
and possibly he is, he was never good at
knowing and demanding his rights.

Wlod

Old August 17th 04, 02:07 PM
KidDon

"Angelo DePalma" wrote in message ...
[...]

_____________________________________
My son once played an opponent who had a coughing problem that
amazingly enough only occurred during nearly every one of my son's
moves (I suspected it was intended to break his concentration), and
not on the cougher's own turn. I didn't complain to the TD because I
was merely a spectator, and my son never took it upon himself to
complain either.

Kiddon
Old August 17th 04, 06:43 PM
David Ames

[...]

If a player is that sick, perhaps the TD should call the Health
Department and have him checked out for tuberculosis.

David Ames
Old August 17th 04, 07:43 PM
Florida Chess

Hi Don -

I suspect this was a very similar situation where the player in
question was doing this as a psychological technique to distract his
opponent as the timing did seem similar as a way to distract - in
response to a previous post I will not post the person's name as I
don't feel putting people's personal info out on the newsgroups is
appropriate - I am amazed if not jealous of players who can
nonetheless focus so strongly on the game/board that they will not
even lift their gaze or be distracted by anything - though certainly
this would be negative attribute in the event of a real emergency such
as the evacuation of the playing hall. ;-)

_____________________________________

Old August 18th 04, 03:21 AM
David Bohm

The only time I have been distracted in a chess game to the extent I could
not think was when my opponent had her blouse unbuttoned and was not wearing
a bra. I found it very hard to concentrate on the game.

David Bohm

Old August 18th 04, 04:13 AM
Pierre Desmarais

While Korchnoy is perceived as quarrelsome,
and possibly he is, he was never good at
knowing and demanding his rights.

Wlod

I just meet this grand player last month. What a wonderful person. He just
spent 4:30 hours on the board and when the game ended he didn't take 30
secondes rest. He just turn around and started signing autographs and
shaking hands for half an hour. He did all that with a smile on his face and
a few words for each of us.

A GrandMaster and a gentleman.