Old March 22nd 04, 07:28 AM
Holbox

Default KIA web pages

Hi people,

I'm looking for some good explanations about King Indian Attack. Can you
give me some links?

Thx

Old March 23rd 04, 06:12 AM
matt -`;'-

"Holbox" wrote in message
Hi people,

I'm looking for some good explanations about King Indian Attack. Can you
give me some links?

Thx

And here I thought I was about to read about a foreign car...

Some books of interest:
http://www.chesscentral.com/beginner...te-king-indian
-attack-chess-book.htm

You can see some KI put to use in here along with some very interesting
games. I like this book. Stein makes chess interesting.
http://www.jeremysilman.com/book_rev...sk_strtgy.html

http://www.northshorechess.com/chess...an-attack.html

http://www.chessclub.demon.co.uk/spo...s/kings_indian
_chess_opening_books.htm

Some reader reviews of Bronsteins book on the KI:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...843532-7933668
?v=glance

http://www.history-europe.com/Starti...857442342.html

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/ultkia.txt

A nice place to review some openings:
http://www.chesscorner.com/tutorial/learn.htm

There should be at least one book of interest in there, matt

Old March 23rd 04, 09:06 AM
Holbox

Thx for your answer Matt,

I'll go for "The Ultimate KIA". It seems the more complete book of this
system. I've been getting good results with it but I don't know theory, just
Exeter Chess Club Examples, and plans to continue. I mean I ever play the
same plan and sometimes I got in a "dead way". I need to know new lines.

Thx

Old March 23rd 04, 07:27 PM
Cesar A. K. Grossmann

matt -`;'- wrote:

And here I thought I was about to read about a foreign car...

Your MS Outlook did you the favor of breaking some links in two lines...

Mozilla and TinyUrl.com to the rescue!

Some books of interest:
http://www.chesscentral.com/beginner...chess-book.htm

http://tinyurl.com/2ac7v

http://www.chessclub.demon.co.uk/spo...ning_books.htm

http://tinyurl.com/2lljv

Some reader reviews of Bronsteins book on the KI:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...33668?v=glance

http://tinyurl.com/23dqz

I hope everything is right...

[]s
--
..O. Cesar A. K. Grossmann ICQ UIN: 35659423
...O http://www.LinuxByGrossmann.cjb.net/
Old March 25th 04, 08:46 AM
matt -`;'-

"Cesar A. K. Grossmann" wrote in message
matt -`;'- wrote:

And here I thought I was about to read about a foreign car...

Your MS Outlook did you the favor of breaking some links in two lines...

Mozilla and TinyUrl.com to the rescue!

Thanks Ceaser!

I think I have wrap set to 76 characters for some reason that eludes me at
the moment.

Old March 25th 04, 01:53 PM
John Simmons

Hello,
In the latest Play the French book, Watson looks at the line
1e4 e6 2. d3 d5 3. Nd2 Nf6 4. g3 Nc6 5.Bg2 p*p 6. p*p e5 Then if 7. Ng-e2?!
considers the direct 7. ... Bc5 ok for black, and goes into more detail with
7. ...Bg4.
Does not mention immediate 6.... Bc5 if then 7. Ng-e2? Ng4 or 7... Bf2+ are
winning for black. Is there any problem for black with 6... Bc5. Also like
4... b6 ideas for black.
If go for KIA with another move order, i.e
1.Nf3 d5 then after 2. g3 Bg4 3. Bg2 Nd7 is white getting anywhere?
Just wondered what the attraction of KIA is.

Bye John S

Old March 26th 04, 09:35 AM
Holbox

"John Simmons" escribió en el mensaje
Hello,
In the latest Play the French book, Watson looks at the line
1e4 e6 2. d3 d5 3. Nd2 Nf6 4. g3 Nc6 5.Bg2 p*p 6. p*p e5 Then if 7.

Ng-e2?!
considers the direct 7. ... Bc5 ok for black, and goes into more detail

with
7. ...Bg4.

After Nc6 white might play e5 followed by d4 and c3...., obviously white is
better. But anyway if you play in this way (not playing c5) probably you
will see how white queen pawns advance by attacking black pieces winning
space. Probably white rocks control D column before black and, after some
especulation on the queen side, white will have prepared a king side attack
=:O

If go for KIA with another move order, i.e
1.Nf3 d5 then after 2. g3 Bg4 3. Bg2 Nd7 is white getting anywhere?

What do you mean? Are you willing to win just in a few moves? White try to
put his pieces in the better squares.

Just wondered what the attraction of KIA is.

Please let me see what is attractive to you and let's talk about that.

Regards,
Holbox

PD.
Well probably you won't find attractive to play the Philidor. But try to
play Philidor Counter-Attack or the Larsen Variation and you will se how
attractive it is.

Bye John S

Old March 26th 04, 07:19 PM
John Simmons

Hello,

See what you mean by dead ways now, after 5.e5 N*e5, black says "thank you
very much" .
More seriously though, I was checking up a more unusual sequence,
with 4g3, where white keeps the option of a quick f4 at some point. After
the more standard 4. Nf3 Nc6 if interested in the immediate e5? Then after
5. e5 Nd7 6. d4 f6 arrive at a position from the Guimard variation, with
black a tempo up because white has played d4 in two steps.
After 1.e4 e6 d3 d5 3.Nd2 Nf6 4.Nf3 Nc6, 5c3 is considered best. This has
your ideas of queenside pawn expansion. Nevertheless Watson thinks black is
ok after 5 ..a5
6e5! The a5 is the standard way of holding up b4. Also considers 5...Bd6
has a way for black of dealing with b4 and e5 problems.
Anyway like 4...b6 best, this has the idea of bringing bishop to
a6-f1 diagonal, if white plays the routine g3 and Bg2. Basically after 1.e4
e6 d3 d5. 3Nd2 Nf6 4.Nf3 b6 5. g3 p*p 6. p*p Bc5 7. Bg2?! Ba6 White does
not have time to enjoy the d-file, because of cheapos happening on f2.
Other ideas are after 5.c3 c5 6. e5 Nd7 7d4 black is
playing a line of the Tarrasch a tempo up. Black will get rid of his bad
bishop with Ba6.
After 1.Nf3 d5 2. g3 Bg4 3. Bg2 Nd7 what I meant was I am quite happy to
play the black side. Not sure what you mean about white's better placed
pieces. Black has put a pawn in the centre, and going to develop quickly
Slav style. The game Damljanovic v Shirov shows some ideas of this set-up
against the KIA 1Nf3 d5 2. g3 Bg4 3.Bg2 Nd7
4.0.0 e6 5. d3 Bd6 6. Nbd2 Ne7 this and the coming f5 is the note worth
idea 7. e4 0.0 8. h3 Bh5 9 Qe1 Nc6 White has played his auto-pilot moves,
now what?!
10. a3 a5 11 b3 f5 can checkup the rest on chessbase if interested. There is
also a game versus Speelman. Not sure how accurate the game is, but is
amusing watching white being hacked-up with a cave-man style attack
Think the above French and Slav like approaches are quite
common against the KIA. So will give you an idea of what some opponents are
working on, and the resources they use.

Bye John S

Old March 29th 04, 09:27 AM
Holbox

"John Simmons" escribió en el mensaje
Hello,

See what you mean by dead ways now, after 5.e5 N*e5, black says "thank you
very much" .

:-D

I didn't follow all the moves in my mind correctly!

More seriously though, I was checking up a more unusual sequence,
with 4g3, where white keeps the option of a quick f4 at some point. After
the more standard 4. Nf3 Nc6 if interested in the immediate e5? Then after
5. e5 Nd7 6. d4 f6 arrive at a position from the Guimard variation, with
black a tempo up because white has played d4 in two steps.

This is very interesting. When I play KIA I want to do f4 as soon as I can
but sometimes it's too late to play f4. I mean that if I want to start an
attack on king side and I'm playing white I don't know why I have this kind
of problems. Probably it's because I don't know the theory at all.

After 1.e4 e6 d3 d5 3.Nd2 Nf6 4.Nf3 Nc6, 5c3 is considered best. This

has
your ideas of queenside pawn expansion. Nevertheless Watson thinks black

is
ok after 5 ..a5
6e5! The a5 is the standard way of holding up b4. Also considers 5...Bd6
has a way for black of dealing with b4 and e5 problems.

But I don't like this line of play. I would like to find some kind of setup
where i could play f4 quickly but without risk.. I have seen some games with
Qe1-f4-c5-Nbc3. Probably this is the line I like. But I have to know how to
reach it.

Regards,
Holbox

Old March 31st 04, 11:57 AM
hbm

Holbox wrote:

More seriously though, I was checking up a more unusual sequence,
with 4g3, where white keeps the option of a quick f4 at some point. After
the more standard 4. Nf3 Nc6 if interested in the immediate e5? Then after
5. e5 Nd7 6. d4 f6 arrive at a position from the Guimard variation, with
black a tempo up because white has played d4 in two steps.

This is very interesting. When I play KIA I want to do f4 as soon as I can
but sometimes it's too late to play f4. I mean that if I want to start an
attack on king side and I'm playing white I don't know why I have this kind
of problems. Probably it's because I don't know the theory at all.

Some lines of the closed Sicilian have f4 before Nf3 (along with e4, Nc3, d3,
g3,Bg2, 0-0) which I liked so much I started trying it against other black
set-ups, including the French (though an early ...dxe4 seems to give white
problems), with varied outcomes.

What do people think of this system? It seems white gets an decent Kingside
attack and Black has to counter on the queenside and "get round the back".

Henry