Old August 18th 04, 04:47 AM
Tim923

Default illegal move games

Are there famous games that had illegal moves? I think this would
most likely involve check, castling, and en passant situations. Or
could a game have wrongly ended by checkmate when there was another
move? Perhaps only chess idiots would play such games!?
Old August 18th 04, 10:15 AM
Dacium

Are there famous games that had illegal moves? I think this would
most likely involve check, castling, and en passant situations. Or
could a game have wrongly ended by checkmate when there was another
move? Perhaps only chess idiots would play such games!?

I found a site that had games only from competitions, but none were
significant finals games. There are famous blunders where people give up by
mistake but not from wrongly thinking it was stalemate/checkmate and none
with illegal moves. You can see the most famous ones here
http://www.xs4all.nl/~timkr/chess2/resigntxt.htm That site also has some
other interesting stuff

The only one with illegal moves however (that I can think of) is some game
where a player castles twice, within about 8 moves. Its pretty funny that
neither player noticed. Perhaps his opponent did but didnt care because he
was winning. its was a tournament game near the finals as well.

Old August 19th 04, 05:12 PM

"Dacium" wrote in message . au...
Are there famous games that had illegal moves? I think this would
most likely involve check, castling, and en passant situations. Or
could a game have wrongly ended by checkmate when there was another
move? Perhaps only chess idiots would play such games!?

I found a site that had games only from competitions, but none were
significant finals games. There are famous blunders where people give up by
mistake but not from wrongly thinking it was stalemate/checkmate and none
with illegal moves. You can see the most famous ones here
http://www.xs4all.nl/~timkr/chess2/resigntxt.htm That site also has some
other interesting stuff

At the same site, there is a page of "world record gaes" (longest
game ever, and so on). One of the records is "most Castling", where
one player Castles twice.
Old August 22nd 04, 12:40 AM
Dacium

en passant situations

It would be hard for en passant to be illegal since you can only capture en
passant on the very next move, correct? Any en passant capture that didn't
immediatly follow a double pawn progression would be illegal. It not like
castling where you have to remember if the peices have moved yet over what
could be many many turns.