Old August 21st 04, 02:00 AM
PHR

Default Advanced chess books (middlegame & tactics & psychology)

Anyone have any ideas for good "advanced chess books"? I am rated a
little over 1900 and enjoy going through multitudes of game
collections, but I'm looking for something a little different. I've
been through "Reassess Your Chess" (Silman), "The Middle-Game in
Chess" (Znosko-Borovsky), "Judgement and Planning in Chess" (Euwe),
"Art of Attack" (Vukovic), "Pawn Structure Chess" (Soltis), and "Chess
Praxis" (Nimzovich). I think I have gotten a lot out of these books
and am looking instructive perhaps a little higher level than some of
the above books. Anyone have good suggestions?

On an related note, I'd also like to check out some good chess
psychology books. My understanding is "Psychology in Chess" (Krogius)
and "Seven Deadly Chess Sins" (Rowson) are two of the better books
available... any others?
Old August 21st 04, 07:16 PM
Spencer R. Lower

Out of print, but highly recommended by Watson, Tisdall, and myself, is
Mihai Suba's Dynamic Chess Strategy. I found it on ebay. It is actually a
games collection, but unlike any other, with advanced middlegame
instruction.

Old August 23rd 04, 07:10 PM
Mike Ogush

On 20 Aug 2004 18:00:44 -0700, (PHR) wrote:

Anyone have any ideas for good "advanced chess books"? I am rated a
little over 1900 and enjoy going through multitudes of game
collections, but I'm looking for something a little different. I've
been through "Reassess Your Chess" (Silman), "The Middle-Game in
Chess" (Znosko-Borovsky), "Judgement and Planning in Chess" (Euwe),
"Art of Attack" (Vukovic), "Pawn Structure Chess" (Soltis), and "Chess
Praxis" (Nimzovich). I think I have gotten a lot out of these books
and am looking instructive perhaps a little higher level than some of
the above books. Anyone have good suggestions?

Most of the books that you mentioned above are appropriate to your
rating level so I am not sure exacttly whether you are after advanced
material as opposed to just different presentaion of material at the
same level. Also, you didn't say what area of chess you want to
focus on (what aspects of strategy, tactics you want the higher level
information on), so I split my recommendations according to the part
of chess that the book focuses on.

Focusing on chess strategy:
"Secrets of Modern Chess Strategy: Advances Since Nimzovich" (Watson)
"Chess Middlegame Planning" (Romanovsky)

Advanced chess books that focus on pawn structures tend to specialize
in specific pawn structures or pawn structures from specific
openings:
"Hanging Pawns" (Mikhalchishin & Braslawski)
"Winning Pawn Structures" (Baburin) - focus: IQP
"Middlegame Strategy Carlsbad Pawn Structure" (Leininger)
"Pawn Chains" (Crouch) - main focus is Grench and KID pawn chains
"Mastering the Endgame Volume 1" (Shreshevsky & Slutsky) &
"Mastering the Endgame Volume 2" (Shreshevsky & Slutsky) - focus:
transition to typical endings based on openings
You also might want to look at books in the "Mastering the XXX opening
with the read and play method". These books talk about the pawn
structures and resulting plans that arise from particular openings.

Focusing on attack and tactics:
"Storming The Barricades" (Christiansen)
"Attack with Mikhail Tal (Tal & Damsky)
"Mastering Tactical Ideas" (Minev)

Focus on General Improvement:
"The Road to Chess Improvement" (Yermolinksky)
"Improve Your Chess Now" (Tisdall)
"Excelling at Chess (Aagaard)

Game collections with either detailed analysis or instructive content:
"Understanding Chess Move by Move (Nunn)
"Modern Instructive Chess Masterpieces" (Stohl)