Old March 24th 04, 07:48 AM
Dominik Hümer

Default please help with analyse

hello,
can you help me analyzing the game (i was black)?!
this game was played with normal time control (2hours fourty moves, for the
rest 30 min).
i asked for a draw, while finding no winning attack on the kingside.
maybe i did some strategic questional moves long before (f5!)
thanks in advance.
dominik

[Event "28.NBT"]
[Site "Steinbach"]
[Date "2004.03.23"]
[Round "2"]
[White "Sascha"]
[Black "Dominik"]
[Result "1/2-1/2"]
[ECO "B33"]
[WhiteElo ""]
[BlackElo ""]
[Annotator ""]
[PlyCount "52"]
[EventDate "2004.03.10"]
[SourceDate "2004.03.10"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 e5 6. Ndb5 d6 7. Nd5 Nxd5
8.
exd5 Nb8 9. c4 Be7 10. Bd2 a6 11. Nc3 O-O 12. Be2 f5 13. O-O Nd7 14. b4 b6
15.
Qc2 Bb7 16. f4 Bc8 17. fxe5 Nxe5 18. Na4 Bd7 (18... Nxc4 19. Bxc4 b5 20. Bd3
bxa4) 19. Nb2 Rc8 20. Qb3 Kh8 21. Rac1 Bg5 22. Bf4 Bxf4 23. Rxf4 Qg5 24.
Rcf1
Ng6 25. R4f2 f4 26. Nd3 Rce8 1/2-1/2

Old March 24th 04, 10:47 PM
Ron

In article ,
"Dominik Hümer" wrote:

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 e5 6. Ndb5 d6 7. Nd5 Nxd5
8.
exd5 Nb8

This line is not anything I have any experience with (and you should
take all my notes with a grain of salt anyway) but this move looks
really dangerous. I think Ne7 makes a little more sense.

9. c4 Be7 10. Bd2 a6

White doesn't seem to realize that he's go the makings of a big
development advantage. I would have played 10.Bd3 to discourage quick
kingside castling from black.

It's hard to call a6 a mistake-- I think it's one of those things you
were going to have to play sooner or later to reduce the pressure on d6.

But I would have been thinking about devleoping first.

11. Nc3 O-O 12. Be2 f5

Very passive play from white. Again, I like 12.Bd3 a lot better,
although a lot of the sting has been taken out of it by the defensive f5
now that you've castled.

I'm not sure about 12. f5. I don't see any reason why you need to play
this move now, not while your queenside pieces are undeveloped. The
problem is that you can't really threaten to rip open the kingside while
your pieces are undeveloped and white has a spacial advantage in the
center.

13. O-O

Given the fact that you're threatening to advance on the kingside, if I
were white I would have seriously considered Qc2 and 0-0-0, esentially
inviting you to open some files in front of your king.

Nd7 14. b4 b6
15.
Qc2 Bb7

This seems like a passive placement for the bishop. Why not Nf6 first,
which would secure your kingside?

16. f4 Bc8 17. fxe5 Nxe5 18. Na4 Bd7 (18... Nxc4 19. Bxc4 b5 20. Bd3
bxa4) 19. Nb2

White is clearly playing plannlessly, and here simply worsens the
position of his knight. This move might make sense if followed by by
Nd3, to challange your strong central knight, but it looks to me like he
just didn't want to admit that Na4 was a compelte waste by returning the
knight to its previous square.

Rc8 20. Qb3

I'm not real sure what this move accomplishes for him, either.

Kh8 21. Rac1 Bg5 22. Bf4 Bxf4 23. Rxf4 Qg5 24.
Rcf1
Ng6 25. R4f2 f4 26. Nd3 Rce8 1/2-1/2

You offered a draw here? Are you kidding me?

Okay, on second thought, if you offered the draw because you were
scared of 27.c5 bc 28.bc dc Nxc5 I almost understand, but not really. I
think you need to look harder on the kingside -- you can still improve
the cordination of your pieces, and whites play up to this point should
lead you to believe it's not worth fishing around a little bit. Moves
like Rd3 and Nh4, prepping f4-f3, and there's even the possibility of a
timely exchange sacrifice (on e2). You've got so much firepower aimed at
the enemy king that I think it's worth giving him his passed pawn (27.c5
b5 28.c5 Bf5).

Phychologically I'm not sure it makes sense to offer a draw because you
don't see the win. You can't assume your opponent will play perfect
defense (and as Soltis says, "Grandmasters don't offer a draw when they
don't see how they can win. They offer a draw when they see how they
might lose.") so I find the lack of fighting spirit inherent in the draw
offer pretty dispiriting.

Because honestly, I'm not sure what the objective analysis of this
position is, and from a sporting position, I want to see it played out.

Also, I think you can take him.

But, as always, I make plenty of mistakes in my own games so there's no
reason to believe I didn't make any here.

-Ron