Old August 23rd 04, 01:26 PM
Miriling

Subject: Joe Tamargo is Seriously Ill

On 22 August 2004 (Sam Sloan) wrote in
Joe Tamargo, 63, is seriously ill in Flushing Hospital in Queens, New
York. Tamargo was found lying on the floor of the bathroom of the
rooming house where he lives. His landlady, Carol, found him there.

-snipped-

Tamargo is two years older than Bobby Fischer and they played two
tournament games against each other when both were teenagers.

-snipped-

Born in 1941, by 1964 Tamargo was without doubt the strongest combined
chess and go player in America, and possibly in the world.

Sam Sloan

It is interesting that you would write that Tamargo is two years older than

Fischer. According to chess historian Jeremy Gaige, Joseph Santiago Tamargo
was
born on July 11, 1938, in New York City - which would make him five years
older
than Fischer. Gaige bases this on the USCF biographical form he has that puts
Tamargo's year of birth as 1938. It is true that both Tamargo and Fischer
were
teenagers when they played each other in the semifinals of the Manhattan
Chess
Club Championship in December 1956. Tamargo would have been 18; Fischer, 13.
But until the USCF can confirm from its records that Tamargo was indeed born
in
1941, I would have to concur with Gaige that Tamargo is 66 years old.

CORRECTION: Joseph S. Tamargo was born on 7 November 1938, according to Jeremy
Gaige. This makes him 4 years, 4 months older than Fischer. So, he is currently
65. He was 18 years old when he played Fischer, 13, in the semifinals of the
Manhattan Chess Club Championship in December 1956.

George Mirijanian

Old August 23rd 04, 10:14 PM

(Miriling) wrote in message ...

[...]

I will check this when I next see Joe (assuming that he is still alive).

Joe qualified for Social Security earlier this year, so I think that makes him 63.