Old April 3rd 04, 05:41 AM
Ron

Default Is there a win here?

I'm black:

w:Ka1, Ra8, pa7

b:Kc3 Rb4 pc4

Black to move.

I won the white pawn easily enough with:

1.... Ra4+ 2.Kb1 Ra5!

Zugzwang!

2.Rh8 Rxa7 3.Rb8 Rh7

I considered 3....Rc7 but Kc1! and I can't advance my king.

4.Rc8

His rook takes up it's best post. Now his strategy is simply to check me
whenever he can. With his K shuffling between b1, c1, and d1 I can never
achieve a lucena.

That being said, I seem to have great rook position and my king is ahead
of my pawn.

I'm in time trouble.

4. ... Rb2+ 5.Kc1 Rb4?! at this point I'm bashing out moves, trying to
find something.

6.Rc8 Kb3 7.Kb1 and I don't see how I can make any progress eg 7... c3
8.Rc7 and Rh4 is met by a barage of checks, while any attempt to
interpose the rook gives me a drawn k+p ending since the rook trade
pulls my king back and allows white to play Kc2.

Did I miss a win or a good chance to give white an opportunity to screw
up?

-Ron

Old April 3rd 04, 10:37 PM
Ron

In article ,
Ralph Jones wrote:

Mate in 2...

... Kc2
Rb8 Ra4#

Wow that's really embarassing. I wasn't even looking for a mate there, I
was just thinking about the pawn.

Once I get into the main part of the endgame, though, it's a draw, right?

-Ron
Old April 4th 04, 08:31 AM
Roman M. Parparov

Ron wrote:

I won the white pawn easily enough with:

1.... Ra4+ 2.Kb1 Ra5!

Zugzwang!

2.Rh8 Rxa7 3.Rb8 Rh7

I considered 3....Rc7 but Kc1! and I can't advance my king.

Putting the missed mate aside,
3. Rh3+ is a very easy draw.
Look up Philidor positions and study them.

-Ron

--
Roman M. Parparov - NASA EOSDIS project node at TAU technical manager.
Email: http://www.nasa.proj.ac.il/
Old April 4th 04, 10:29 AM
Ron

In article ,
"Roman M. Parparov" wrote:

Putting the missed mate aside,
3. Rh3+ is a very easy draw.
Look up Philidor positions and study them.

Well, I saw that he missed the philidor, although my rook endings are
atrocious right now.

I just decided to pick up all my old endgame books and start over
there, which seemed like a good place to start if I'm going to consider
getting serious about chess again (which I might). It's been six or
seven years since I played a slow game.

Old April 5th 04, 10:12 PM
Rob W

I'm really confused. I'm trying to understand this, but something
seems amiss:

w:Ka1, Ra8, pa7
b:Kc3 Rb4 pc4

1.... Ra4+
2.Kb1 Ra5!
2.Rh8 Rxa7

There are two move 2s -- I assume this is just a numbering error.

3.Rb8 Rh7
4.Rc8 Rb2+

How can the black rook go from h7 to b2?

5.Kc1 Rb4?!
6.Rc8 Kb3
7.Kb1 and I don't see how I can make any progress eg 7... c3
8.Rc7 and Rh4 is met by a barage of checks, while any attempt to

Mate in 2...

... Kc2
Rb8 Ra4#

When does this occur? How can the black king move to c2 when the
white king is on b1 (after moves 2 and/or 7) or c1 (after move 5)?

What am I missing?

-- Rob
Old April 6th 04, 03:58 AM
Ralph Jones

You're reading the moves out of order. There are nested replies w/quotes.
In this particular example, the Kb1 position and the Kc2 move are two
entirely different variations from the same thread.

Old April 6th 04, 11:23 AM
Rob W

Hi Ralph,

... Kc2
Rb8 Ra4#

When does this occur?

You're reading the moves out of order. There are nested
replies w/quotes. In this particular example, the Kb1 position
and the Kc2 move are two entirely different variations from
the same thread.

I see it now:

1. ... Kc2
2. Rb8 Ra4#

You didn't put move numbers so I assumed it was a continuation of the
original poster's moves (i.e. after move 7).

-- Rob