Old April 4th 04, 04:35 AM
Ray Gordon

Default Is Jorge Zamora World Champ Yet?

Back around '90 or so, when he was 11 (I know the age but forget the year),
Jorge Zamora was giving me odds of 5-2 at the Manhattan and dusting me (I
was rated around 2000 at the time).

I heard he was going to be the greatest.

Where'd he wind up?

--
Everything you need to know about women. FREE!

http://www.cybersheet.com/library.html
The Seduction Library

http://www.cybersheet.com/hotties.html
Why Hotties Choose Losers

Old April 4th 04, 05:11 AM

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 03:35:41 GMT, "Ray Gordon"
wrote:

Back around '90 or so, when he was 11 (I know the age but forget the year),
Jorge Zamora was giving me odds of 5-2 at the Manhattan and dusting me (I
was rated around 2000 at the time).

I heard he was going to be the greatest.

Where'd he wind up?

Zamora is a 2500 player. He has not achieved the grandmaster title,
but he is close. He is one of those people who changes his name every
few years, so it is hard to find him on the rating lists.

Old April 4th 04, 05:15 AM

wrote:

Back around '90 or so, when he was 11 (I know the age but forget the year),
Jorge Zamora was giving me odds of 5-2 at the Manhattan and dusting me (I
was rated around 2000 at the time).

I heard he was going to be the greatest.

Where'd he wind up?

I got it now. His name is now Jorge Sammour-Hasbun

http://www.64.com/uscf/ratings/12496662

His USCF rating is 2566.

Old April 4th 04, 07:03 AM
Scott

I have heard two things - one is that he dropped out of the chess
scene entirely and two that he was killed in a car crash. He has no
tournament records as they were all 1991 and before and no one has
heard from him since. A google search of his name found this:

"Court records show Clemente was convicted of DUI manslaughter in a
1991 fatal wreck. Investigators said he had a blood-alcohol level of
0.14 percent Oct. 10, 1991, when he drove off State Road 39 south of
Zephyrhills. His passenger, Jorge Zamora, died in the crash"

Otherwise, the only somewhat famous living player named "Jorge" is
Jorge Sammour-Hasbun (rated 2566).

-Scott

Old April 4th 04, 07:12 AM
Scott

Sam - I am not quite sure these two Jorges are one in the same. Ray
- when you used to play Jorge did he slam down the pieces and slam the
clock forcefully to the point of nearly breaking your clock and having
the weights fall out of the button of your pieces - even when it was a
dull obvious move in a long tournament game just to be annoying and to
attempt to distract you? If so then Jorge Sammour-Hasbun is likely
in fact to be Jorge Zamora as virtually no one in the chess world has
such an annoying and offensive playing style.

-Scott

Old April 4th 04, 07:32 AM

On 4 Apr 2004 00:12:18 -0600, Scott wrote:

Sam - I am not quite sure these two Jorges are one in the same.

I am certain, 100% certain, that these are the same person.

I have known Jorge Zamora since 1986 when he played in the World
Under-10 Championship in San Juan Puerto Rico. He was representing
Honduras at the time.

I have met him several times since. I published and annotated a game
he played for Informant 63, the only time my name has made it into
Chess Informant. Please look it up - Zamora-Sagalchik.

A few yerars ago I met him at the New York Open and he explained that
he had discoved that his ancestry was Arab, so he had changed his name
to his original family name of Sammour-Hasbun

Old April 4th 04, 01:06 PM
Ray Gordon

Sam - I am not quite sure these two Jorges are one in the same. Ray
- when you used to play Jorge did he slam down the pieces and slam the
clock forcefully to the point of nearly breaking your clock and having
the weights fall out of the button of your pieces - even when it was a
dull obvious move in a long tournament game just to be annoying and to
attempt to distract you? If so then Jorge Sammour-Hasbun is likely
in fact to be Jorge Zamora as virtually no one in the chess world has
such an annoying and offensive playing style.

The kid was BRILLIANT.

Does that bother you?

Of all the children I played against in the 1980s, he was by FAR the most
talented.

Old April 5th 04, 09:57 AM
bruno de baenst

His name is now Jorge Sammour Hasbun, his fide rating is 2448. He plays very
often on WCN so if you want to talk to him you can try it there

"Ray Gordon" schreef in bericht

Old April 14th 04, 02:39 AM

I quick search found his name in an issue of Chess Horizon, as a Game
Editor:
http://www.masschess.org/Chess_Horiz...licon_Saga.pdf

Maybe he can contact him there (or thru them). Good luck.