Old April 6th 04, 12:21 PM
dan foley

Default 'Indirect ' Novotny

I am curious whether anyone has seen the following twist on the
novotny/plachutta themes - please don't take the position as a
proposed 'study' - i cooked it up in a few minutes merely to try to
illustrate the theme i have in mind:

White:
Kh6
Bd1
Pa6,e6,h5

Black:
Ra3
Ba2
Pa5
Kh8

The idea is: most novotny interferences normally occur when two black
pieces stop two direct threats: then the interfering white piece
occupies the intersection square of the two black pieces, and one
black piece must block the line of the other, thus allowing one of the
threats to occur. Here , white has no real threats yet - e7 is
answered by Re3, easily stopping e8Q+, and a7 is answered by Bd5,
easily stopping the queening of the a-pawn.

However, Bb3! leads to the queening of one of the pawns, because the
black bishop and rook each have a move which ANSWERS (rather than is
already stopping) a potential threat. Thus if B:b3, 2. e7 Bf7 3. a7
or R:b3, 2. a7 and white queens.

I'm sure this has been tried before - but I can't find studies that
exemplify it. Note that the interference square (b3) is not on the
same diagonal,rank, or file as either of the threats. Am I crazy in
thinking this adds anything? Has anyone seen this 'indirect novotny'
theme before? I've been trying to create an 'indirect plachutta' and
am finding it more challenging.

Thanks