Old April 13th 04, 08:08 AM
Charles

Default Is Lyman always right?

I am just a patzer and I enjoy reading Shelby Lyman's chess column in the
San Francisco Chronicle.

In today's column (2004/04/12):

"BLACK HAS A CRUSHER (Hint: A nice mate threat.)"

w: Kf7, Qf3, Rf1, pb2, c3, g4
b: Kh8, Qd6, Ba4, pc6, g7, h7

The answer gives

1. ... Bc2! with the threat of
2. ... Bg6 mate.

But can't Black easily thwart immediate mate and postpone White's
inevitable win as follows?

2. Ke8 Bg6+
3. Qf7 Bf7+
4. Rf7 Qe6+ ?
5. Kf8 Qg4
6. Ke7 Qg5+
7. Ke8 Qg6
8. Kf8 Qf7+
9. Kf7 h5

Also, wouldn't 1. ... Qd7+ be a more suitable answer, since it forces mate
in 4, as follows?

2. Kf8 Qd8+
3. Kf7 Bb3+
4. c4 Bc4+
5. Qd5 Bd5 mate

Please let me know where I am going wrong.

Charles
Old April 13th 04, 08:26 AM
Charles

(A reposting with a minor correction--there should have been no question
mark after 4. Rf7 Qe6+ below.)

Old April 13th 04, 10:56 AM
David Richerby

Charles wrote:
w: Kf7, Qf3, Rf1, pb2, c3, g4
b: Kh8, Qd6, Ba4, pc6, g7, h7

The answer gives

1. ... Bc2! with the threat of 2. ... Bg6 mate.

But can't Black easily thwart immediate mate and postpone White's
inevitable win as follows? 2. Ke8 Bg6+ 3. Qf7 Bf7+

Well, yes: it's only a threat of mate but White's only defence is to
give up his queen.

Also, wouldn't 1. ... Qd7+ be a more suitable answer, since it forces
mate in 4, as follows? 2. Kf8 Qd8+ 3. Kf7 Bb3+ 4. c4 Bc4+ 5. Qd5 Bd5#

As far as I can see, yes.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Aluminium Windows (TM): it's like
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ a graphical user interface that's