Old April 15th 04, 04:58 AM
ypauls

Default Best chess software

Dear Chess Experts
What is the best Chess program for the Windows platform?
I thought it was Chessmaster 3000, but I bought a new one called Majestic
Chess and it seems to out perform it.
Cordially
ypauls

Old April 15th 04, 12:40 PM
Amos Soma

Chessmaster 3000??? The current version is Chessmaster 9000. BTW,
Chessmaster 3000 is rated roughly 1800. Chessmaster 9000 is rated roughly
2700 - a slight difference
(http://w1.859.telia.com/~u85924109/ssdf/rlwww041.txt).

Also, asking what is "best" is like asking which flavor of ice cream is
best. There is no right answer. How do you define "best"?

Old April 15th 04, 03:08 PM
ypauls

(My) definition of best is when the two programs play head to head. I
like Chessmaster 3000 because it calls out the moves, though the graphics
leave much to be desired, but it can't compete with Majestic, is there a
better one for Windows?
Cordially
ypauls

Old April 15th 04, 03:13 PM
ypauls

Dear CeeBee
Basically all of them can 'clean my clock', though I have not tried the
Chessmaster 9000 yet. I'll post the results if there is interest.
Cordially
ypauls

"CeeBee" wrote in message
. 6.83...
"Amos Soma" wrote in rec.games.chess.analysis:

Also, asking what is "best" is like asking which flavor of ice cream
is best. There is no right answer. How do you define "best"?

A program that not only beats your ass, but wipes it as well, then will
wrap you in a gift wrapping and puts you on display in the shop window
where people will stare at you in amazement.

I might forget a step or so, that's it, basically.

BTW to the OP: MajesticChess is mainly targeting at kids and doing a
great job. Picking up chess and have some tutorials, CM9K is a great
choice. But as tutorials goes, Fritz & friends are becoming stronger
with every release.

--
CeeBee

_Got no wockin' furries_

Old April 15th 04, 03:30 PM
David Richerby

Amos Soma wrote:
Chessmaster 3000??? The current version is Chessmaster 9000. BTW,
Chessmaster 3000 is rated roughly 1800. Chessmaster 9000 is rated
roughly 2700 - a slight difference
(http://w1.859.telia.com/~u85924109/ssdf/rlwww041.txt).

There's also the slight difference that the rating for CM3k is on a
25-33MHz 386 and the rating for CM9k is on a 1.2GHz Athlon. CM9k is
obviously stronger than CM3k but it's very hard to compare ratings on
such vastly different hardware, not least because the 386 is so old
that it's hard to get sensible benchmarks to compare the performance
of the two CPUs. It would be interesting to see how well something
like CM3k would perform on modern hardware.

On the other hand, looking at ratings on a 25-33MHz 386, we see the
following. It's a shame they're so vague about the machine specs. Is
it 25MHz or 33? 386SX or DX? How much RAM? Differences in the hard-
ware could well explain why Zarkov 2.6 is 60 rating points behind v2.5.

M Chess 1.1-1.71 2025
Rex Chess 2.3 1929
Zarkov 2.5 1920
Fritz 1.0 1907
Zarkov 2.6 1860
Chessmaster 3000 1832
Rex Chess 2.3 1830 (on a 16-20MHz machine)

Also, asking what is "best" is like asking which flavor of ice cream
is best.

Chocolate.

There is no right answer.

Aw, come on! It's obviously chocolate.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Poetic Miniature Painting (TM): it's
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ like a Renaissance masterpiece but
Old April 15th 04, 04:41 PM
Amos Soma

The way I would define best is not a program that can play at the 2800
level. I would love for Chessbase or the Chessmaster folks be able to
create a program that plays the way a typical 1300 level player would play,
and then a 1400 level player and then 1500 level and so on. This would be a
great way to improve. I can set Fritz 8 to play at the 1350 level, but it
plays like a grandmaster for 15 moves, then hangs a rook, then plays like a
grandmaster for 15 more moves and then hangs a bishop.

Amos.

Old April 15th 04, 07:41 PM
David Richerby

Amos Soma wrote:
The way I would define best is not a program that can play at the 2800
level. I would love for Chessbase or the Chessmaster folks be able to
create a program that plays the way a typical 1300 level player would
play, and then a 1400 level player and then 1500 level and so on. This
would be a great way to improve.

Yes -- a program that could do that would be worth its weight in gold.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Mentholated Pants (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ well-tailored pair of trousers but
Old April 16th 04, 10:09 PM
Mike Ogush

On 15 Apr 2004 19:41:11 +0100 (BST), David Richerby
wrote:

Amos Soma wrote:
The way I would define best is not a program that can play at the 2800
level. I would love for Chessbase or the Chessmaster folks be able to
create a program that plays the way a typical 1300 level player would
play, and then a 1400 level player and then 1500 level and so on. This
would be a great way to improve.

Yes -- a program that could do that would be worth its weight in gold.

Dave.

--
David Richerby Mentholated Pants (TM): it's like a
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ well-tailored pair of trousers but
it's invigorating!

Unfortunately, it is difficult to create a model of a typical 1300
player. This is because the "1300" only indicates the probability of
their winning against against opponents of various ratings. The
rating offers no explanation of why they will lose.

Some players at the 1300 level will play similar to a dumbed down
Fritz at least in the beginning. They have memorized opening lines 10
or so moves deep and so they "play like a GM" until they are past
their memorization or until their opponent deviates from the memorized
"best" moves. Then they are on their own and revert to 1300 level for
the rest of the game. Other 1300 players only a little bit about
opening principles and so may play at 1300 level through out the game.

One idea I had to try to emulate say most 1300 players at the
beginning of the game:
* Obtain a large (at least several thousand games) collection of
games played by people with ratings between 1200 and 1400.
* Build an opening book based on these games
* Play games against a program (Fritz or other) with this opening
book and in handicap mode

This still won't prevent the program during the later phases of the
game from alternating between playing like a GM until it gets ahead
and then making a horrible a horrible blunder, but at least the
program won't play the opening like a GM.

Mike Ogush

Old April 17th 04, 05:18 PM
Mogath3

The way I would define best is not a program that can play at the 2800
level. I would love for Chessbase or the Chessmaster folks be able to
create a program that plays the way a typical 1300 level player would
play, and then a 1400 level player and then 1500 level and so on. This
would be a great way to improve.

Yes -- a program that could do that would be worth its weight in gold.

I don't know if it is the same thing, but maybe try using the old programs. I
know they have their weaknesses, but that may be a start. I use Sargon III
every once in a while on a Commodore 64 emulator or even on my old laptop.
There are several oldies out there that play pretty good and that can be
beaten.

Regards,
Jeff