Old April 17th 04, 04:43 PM
Gunny Bunny

Default Most useful endings to study.

Many books available.

I would recommend starting with Pandolfini's Endgame Course, I used this one
first and mastered the main end games quickly. Another one is 'Yasser
Seirwan's book' Endings, which I own too.

Let's us what you decide

"Dr. David Kirkby" m wrote
in message om...
What are the most useful endings to study in chess? My rating on ICC
is ~1350. I recently drew a game when I had a queen vs a knight, which
I now know was winable. However, it is very hard to win against best
play, and as someone has pointed out, it's probably not worth worrying
about, as its of little practical value.

Hence I'm wondering in what order should I study chess endings. I have
no trouble with queen vs king, or rook vs king, and have a basic
understanding of the 'key squares' when trying to promote pawns, so
have some reasonable chance of getting a pawn home.

I'm just wondering what endings are worth studying, and what are best
left for a move advanced player. For example, is rook vs queen worth
worrying about ? I suspect not, as I gather that can be shown to be a
win for the side with the queen (assuming the side with the rook can't
immediately take the qeeen), but again its a very hard win. Two king
+ 2 x bishops vs king is winable I gather, but again is a very hard
win.

I have the book 'Secrets of pawn endings' forward by Jophn Nunn, but I
find it heavy going. I do certainly learn from it, and there is no
doubt it has helped me queen some pawns that would have otherwise not
been queened.

Any thoughts ?