Old April 19th 04, 11:38 AM
Rik

Default White;'s best move after 9)....d5

In the Italian Game, black's 9th move d5 keeps me puzzled every time, i
still haven't figured out how to respond poperly. Perhaps you could help me
how to keep the lead and finish it off asap.

White : Rik
Black: Crafty (Amateur Level)

1) e4 e5
2)Nf3 Nc6
3)Bc4 Bc5
4) c3 Nf6
5) d4 exd4
6)cxd4 Bb4+
7)Nc3 Nxe4
8) 0-0 Bxc3
9)bxc3 d5

Now i played Bb5, but i wonder if there's another, better move?

10) Bb5 0-0
11) Bxc6 bxc6 I didn't know what else to do....suggestions?

12) Bb2 Bf5 I think i made bad move ? Ba3?
13) Ne5 Qf6
14) f3 Nc5
15)Re1 Rae8
16) c4 Nd7
17)cxd5 cxd5
18)Nxd7 Bxd7
19) Rc1 Bc6
20) Ba3 Rxe1+
21) Qxe1 Qxd4+
22)Kh1 Re8
23)Qg3 Qb6
24)Bc5 Qb2
25)Re1 Rxe1+
26)Qxe1 Qxa2 Shouldn't black defend himself?i.e. Qe5?
27)h3 a5
28)Qe7 Qc2
29)Qd8+ Be8
30) Qxe8++

At intermediate level black seems to play the same first 9 moves, he'll
probably improve afterwards?
Any suggestions are welcome.

Rik

Old April 19th 04, 01:04 PM
Mr. Plow

If memory serves, the main line is:

8.0-0 Bxc3 9.d5! - the Moeller Attack.

9.bxc3 has been under a cloud since Lasker - Steinitz, 1896.

After 9.d5 the main line continues:

9...Bf6! 10.Re1 Ne7 11.Rxe4 d6

And the game goes on. Lots of chances for both sides to mess up, but with
best play I think White just ends up down material with no compensation.

news:[email protected]