Old April 20th 04, 03:12 PM
SaltOfLife

Default move order question in Closed sicilian

Hi there,

While browsing through some games of the France-China match, I was
surprised to see Bu Xianqui playing Black use this -unknown to me-
move order against a French GM :

1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 g6!?

This move makes much sense if you play some Dragon variation as Black,
as it sidesteps 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.Bb5, as well as 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 Nc6
3.f4 g6 4.Bb5

However, I thought this was a dangereous move-order for Black, as
White has the critical 3.d4 cxd4 4.Qxd4 Nf6 5.Bb5 (maybe 5.e5) with e5
as a threat. Is there a real danger for Black here, or do you think
it's okay to play like Bu ?

Thanks for any insight,

Cheers,