Old April 20th 04, 10:01 PM
Harry Haller

Default Using a computer to get back into playing shape?

I have not been playing chess for many years. I am now slowly getting back
to practice via online games. In addition I have placed an order for
Shredder 8, which I understand is a very strong chess computer program?

Any thoughts on using such a program to 'get back into shape' (before
venturing to the local club and OTB opponents)?

--
HH
http://www.electronicintifada.net

Old April 28th 04, 08:27 AM
matt -`;'-

"Harry Haller" wrote in message ...
I have not been playing chess for many years. I am now slowly getting back
to practice via online games. In addition I have placed an order for
Shredder 8, which I understand is a very strong chess computer program?

Any thoughts on using such a program to 'get back into shape' (before
venturing to the local club and OTB opponents)?

--
HH
http://www.electronicintifada.net

Use the analysis by Shredder of your games. Try to turn Shredder down to the lowest level and work your way up in opponent playing
strength. Use a time setting of at least 45 min to 1 hour per game. I like ChessMaster9000 better when I want a wide range of
opponent strength. Just the built-in players range from 23 elo up to GM strength. I play the real weak opponents to practice
tactics, then move up in strength to practice avoiding opponent tactics and enhancing my defensive play. CM9k lets you dial in the
right amount of challenge. You could also sign up for a free membership on gameknot.com where you can play Chess at the rate of 1
move in 3 days or faster. The more time you have to move - the more time to carefully evaluate your moves and your opponent's
moves. I like gameknot because you don't have to rush to make your moves - unless you want to. FICS is fun also, but it is much
faster paced. Get a good Chess book/read a Chess book to learn aspects of the game. If you want to play someone who doesn't care
about how strong you are or are not then you can play me on gameknot - I will play anyone. I go by chessknave. Its almost as good
as OTB and if you want then you can use a real Chessboard on the side to play out the game. I do this at work on a little
Chessboard (on break of course). I only recently returned to Chess and started applying myself to it, so I am also learning. -matt

Old April 29th 04, 02:25 PM
Wlodzimierz Holsztynski

"matt -`;'-"
wrote in message news:

I do this at work on a little Chessboard
(on break of course).

-matt

Sure, sure, of course!

Wlod
Old May 2nd 04, 10:52 AM
Chuck

All good advice, but I always stress knowing your openings.
Avoid doubling your pawns up.
Don't bring your queen out too soon.
Castle and free up your rooks
Watch for nasty pins and forks

When using a computer, use it as a move checker.
Study, and then make your move, and then see what
the computer would have done. If the computer makes
a completely different move than yours, study and find out
why. If you are having trouble following the logic of why
the computer made a certain move, try reducing the depth
of ply search. It may have seen something several ply in
depth that may be hard to figure out. Try just 1-ply so you
know it will not be looking beyond what you can see as well.

Also, and don't laugh, take a very hot shower, this tends to
help many fully wake up, and relaxes the body so the mind
can focus.