Old April 26th 04, 07:02 PM
Lee Meadowcroft

Default MSN Rating

I am just returning to the game after a few years of absense and am really
getting back into it. I remember why I used to enjoy it so much.

I have been playing on MSN Zone. Are the ratings on there a true
representation of UCSF Ratings. I know they score the same way.

After playing nearly 50 games I am rated 1640, I'm just wondering if I can
call this my official rating. They are rated competetive matches that I play
in.

Also, just found a good training site to remind me of the more advanced
stuff. It looks good so I thought I'd share it.
www.entertainmentjourney.com.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Lee

Old April 26th 04, 07:56 PM
bruno de baenst

No, online ratings are meaningless

"Lee Meadowcroft" schreef in bericht

Old April 26th 04, 08:38 PM
Amos Soma

Lee,

My opinion would be that ratings on chess servers like Yahoo and MSN are
completely meaningless. Ratings on sites like ICC carry more weight because
chess is played more seriously there, and for other reasons. I think I read
a study a short time ago that polled all players on ICC who had a USCF/FIDE
rating. On average, each person who responded said that their USCF (or
FIDE) rating was within 10% of their ICC rating (usually their ICC rating
was higher). The higher the person's USCF/FIDE rating, the smaller was the
percent differential.

Keep in mind that playing chess online (no matter who the host is) is quite
a bit different than playing OTB. You do things playing online you wouldn't
do playing OTB. You can play far more games more quickly, get careless far
more easily, get distracted far more easily, simply give up and quickly
start a new game. All this affects raings in a way OTB play does not. On
the other hand, it is VERY easy to inflate your rating playing online. You
can simply choose to always play weaker opponents (human or computer) and
easily inflate your rating.

Old April 27th 04, 11:31 AM
Chess Player

Think about this - they started you off at 1600. As the others said it is
pretty much meaningless. I was playing spades on the zone the other night
and met up with a guy that happened to play chess. I'm a rotten chess
player mind you (never even played in a tournament but I have trouble
beating a friend who is USCF 1550) and I beat the tar out of this guy who
claimed his rating was 1950 on the zone. He also claimed he never loses at
chess so who's to say LOL
I don't think I've ever been much over 1800 there and frankly I think you
get better games there in the unrated rooms - which is where I usually play.
Too much emphasis is put on running the opponent's clock out rather than
playing chess. I've seen several 2000+ ranked players at the zone that
couldn't checkmate an opponent if they had to.
HTH,
Brian

Old April 27th 04, 06:00 PM
Lee Meadowcroft

Thanks for your feedback, I'll bear that in mind.

Playing on MSN is getting me back into things and I can use it to improve my
game, at least for the time being.

Are there any more reputable free online chess servers?

I would struggle to play club chess due to family and work commitments but
it satisfies my competetive needs.

Any ideas on how I can make the most of a limited time at the board?

Regards,

Lee

Old April 28th 04, 10:25 AM
David Richerby

Lee Meadowcroft wrote:
Are there any more reputable free online chess servers?

http://www.freechess.org/

Dave.

--
David Richerby Mouldy Carnivorous Whisky (TM):
www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~davidr/ it's like a single-malt whisky but