Old April 27th 04, 06:42 PM
Ivan

Default American born GMs

Is there such a thing?
Old April 27th 04, 06:47 PM
Benjamin Jordan

"Ivan" wrote in message
om...
Is there such a thing?

Fischer?

Old April 27th 04, 09:45 PM
Luther Barnum

GM Larry Christiansen, GM Nick deFirmian, GM Joel Benjamin, GM Arthur
Bisguier, GM Robert Byrne, GM Arnold Denker

"Ivan" wrote in message
om...
Is there such a thing?

Old April 27th 04, 11:04 PM
Mike Nolan

"Luther Barnum" writes:

GM Larry Christiansen, GM Nick deFirmian, GM Joel Benjamin, GM Arthur
Bisguier, GM Robert Byrne, GM Arnold Denker

Here's the list of the 55 GM's listed under the USA on the January FIDE
list, I think around half are USA-born or developed their chess prowess
in this country.

name
-------------------------
Alburt, Lev O
Ashley, Maurice
Becerra Rivero, Julio
Benjamin, Joel
Benko, Pal C
Bisguier, Arthur B
Biyiasas, Peter
Browne, Walter S.
Byrne, Robert E
Christiansen, Larry M
De Firmian, Nick E
Denker, Arnold S
Dlugy, Maxim
Dzindzichashvili, Roman
Evans, Larry M.
Fedorowicz, John P
Fischer, Robert J
Fishbein, Alexander
Goldin, Alexander
Gulko, Boris F
Gurevich, Dmitry
Gurevich, Ilya
Henley, Ron W
Ibragimov, Ildar
Ivanov, Alexander
Kaidanov, Gregory S
Kamsky, Gata
Kavalek, Lubomir
Kudrin, Sergey
Lein, Anatoly
Lombardy, William J
Nakamura, Hikaru
Novikov, Igor A
Onischuk, Alexander
Palatnik, Semon
Rogoff, Kenneth S
Rohde, Michael A
Sagalchik, Gennadij
Schwartzman, Gabriel
Seirawan, Yasser
Serper, Grigory
Shabalov, Alexander
Shaked, Tal
Shamkovich, Leonid
Sher, Miron N
Sherzer, Alex
Shulman, Yuri
Soltis, Andrew E
Stripunsky, Alexander
Tarjan, James E
Wilder, Michael
Wojtkiewicz, Aleksander
Wolff, Patrick G
Yermolinsky, Alex
Zaichik, Gennadi
--
Mike Nolan
Old April 27th 04, 11:16 PM
Arfur Million

"Benjamin Jordan" wrote in message
"Ivan" wrote in message
om...
Is there such a thing?

Fischer?

Capablanca, Mecking, Panno?

Old April 28th 04, 03:44 PM
Danny Purvis

"Arfur Million" wrote in message news:[email protected]
"Benjamin Jordan" wrote in message
"Ivan" wrote in message
om...
Is there such a thing?

Fischer?

Capablanca, Mecking, Panno?

Deep Blue?
Old April 28th 04, 06:38 PM
michael adams

Danny Purvis wrote:

"Arfur Million" wrote in message news:[email protected]
"Benjamin Jordan" wrote in message
"Ivan" wrote in message
om...
Is there such a thing?

Fischer?

Capablanca, Mecking, Panno?

Deep Blue?

Chev. Impala?..

Old April 28th 04, 07:00 PM
Benjamin Jordan

"michael adams" wrote in message
Danny Purvis wrote:

"Arfur Million" wrote in message

news:[email protected]
"Benjamin Jordan" wrote in message
"Ivan" wrote in message
om...
Is there such a thing?

Fischer?

Capablanca, Mecking, Panno?

Deep Blue?

Chev. Impala?..

ROFL - Pont. Firebird!!

Old April 28th 04, 07:20 PM
The Masked Bishop

A revealing statistic from your list would be how many American GMs
actually learned their chess and became GMs through the US chess
process. In other words, if you eliminate everyone who grew up in the
East bloc, or came over to this country as a GM or a GM-in-the-making,
I'd guess ten or less.
Old April 28th 04, 07:24 PM
Scott

Yes but 20-years from now when all the current US GM's are either dead
or end up like Bisguier rated 2200? We need to do something about
keeping current young players past the scholastic level and then for
life (with forced retirement once they become senile).

-Scott