Old May 1st 04, 10:18 AM
fb

Default Annotated games

More than 3000 annotated games in PGN at:

http://www.angelfire.com/games3/smartbridge/index.html

New file: europe_echecs.zip (307 games) added

fb

Old May 1st 04, 02:49 PM
Jim Grieve

fb - this looks like a very good idea, as when I'm on the imac without
virtualPC, I can use straight pgn files. But the first collection that I
downloaded (polger's annotated 40 games) were NOT in pgn, but in cba,
cbb,etc....

the links to software ro run cbv files (looked to see if there was mac
version)...was dead...

Thanks for the work though, I'll use them on the PC.

Jim

On Sat, 1 May 2004 5:25:13 -0400, fb wrote
(in message ):

More than 3000 annotated games in PGN at:

http://www.angelfire.com/games3/smartbridge/index.html

New file: europe_echecs.zip (307 games) added

fb

Posted with Hogwasher. Mac first, Mac only:
http://www.asar.com/cgi-bin/product....hogwasher.html

Old May 3rd 04, 12:37 PM
Dr. David Kirkby

Jim Grieve wrote in message hlink.net...
fb - this looks like a very good idea, as when I'm on the imac without
virtualPC, I can use straight pgn files. But the first collection that I
downloaded (polger's annotated 40 games) were NOT in pgn, but in cba,
cbb,etc....

the links to software ro run cbv files (looked to see if there was mac
version)...was dead...

Thanks for the work though, I'll use them on the PC.

Jim

I swapped the order of the two messages here, as I belive 'top
posting' (where one responds to a comment before the comment) is not a
good idea.

Whilst I've not checked the files myself (the poster says they are
pgn, you say they are not), this again shows that files in chessbase
format are a pain, and games should be in pgn. I can't read PGN files
on my main computer either (a Sun Ultra 80). I admit the Sun is a bit
more rare, but once again this shows we should not be posting files in
chessbase format. Many people can't read them, or do so with
difficulty. As I've said before, sooner or later chessbase is not
going to exist as a product (Wordstar, Wordperfect, Lotus 123 were all
popular at one time, but now are effectively dead products). At least
with pgn, it is simple.

Only today I had a problem in scid (the first I would admit) when I
seemed unable to delete some duplicate games. It was easy to export
all games as pgn, edit the file with a text editor and read them back
in. Try doing that with a binary file, such as a chessbase file, and
you will find it is impossible.