Old May 4th 04, 05:37 PM
Samiel

Default Fritz 7 or Fritz 8?

I recently bought a copy of Fritz 7 (local store didn't have Fritz 8).

I am fairly weak player (say 600-800) and want to get a bit better.

I also bought a copy of Chessmaster 9000 which I will probably be
playing with more.

My question is, is Fritz 8 significantly better than Fritz 7? Would I
even notice as a beginner?

- Samiel
Old May 4th 04, 06:45 PM
Lukino

My question is, is Fritz 8 significantly better than Fritz 7? Would I
even notice as a beginner?

definitely not. Only very very strong players can notice this...

Luca

Old May 4th 04, 07:35 PM
henri Arsenault

In article ,
Samiel wrote:

I also bought a copy of Chessmaster 9000 which I will probably be
playing with more.

My question is, is Fritz 8 significantly better than Fritz 7? Would I
even notice as a beginner?

It is an improvement, but for a beginner, the difference is probably not
worth the price. Chessmaster 9000 is much better for learning purposes
(the tutorials are really good).

Where Fritz shines is for analyzing games in real time, but it is not as
good for learning as CM9000. And when you make Fritz play weakly, it
plays like a grandmaster that makes blunders, so it is not a very good
opponent for a weak player - CM9000's personalities are better for that
too.

So my recommendation is to use Fritz for analysis and CM9000 for playing
and learning.

Henri
Old May 4th 04, 08:00 PM
Samiel

On Tue, 04 May 2004 18:35:30 GMT, henri Arsenault
wrote:

Where Fritz shines is for analyzing games in real time, but it is not as
good for learning as CM9000. And when you make Fritz play weakly, it
plays like a grandmaster that makes blunders, so it is not a very good
opponent for a weak player - CM9000's personalities are better for that
too.

Yes, it seems like CM9000 is the better learning tool for a beginner
like myself.

So my recommendation is to use Fritz for analysis and CM9000 for playing
and learning.

Henri

Maybe it would be interesting to go through GM games and have Fritz
analyze them?

Thank you for the advice!

- Samiel
Old May 4th 04, 08:49 PM
henri Arsenault

In article ,
Samiel wrote:

Maybe it would be interesting to go through GM games and have Fritz
analyze them?

As a matter of fact, it can be useful to understand why certain moves
have been made or not made.

I use Fritz a lot to analyze my own games.

Henri

Old May 4th 04, 10:09 PM
Lee Meadowcroft

Is there any good free analysis software?
and do the programs annotate your games? Like telling you where you go
wrong?

Cheers

Lee

Old May 5th 04, 01:07 AM
Amos Soma

Samiel,

For someone rated 600 to 800, the basic difference is this. Against Fritz 7
you will lose in 13 moves. Against Fritz 8 you will lose in 10 moves.

For someone wanting to learn, Chessmaster 9000 is really very good, and
cheaper than Fritz 8. It is a fantastic learning tool.

Old May 5th 04, 06:36 AM
Benjamin Jordan

Samiel wrote:

Maybe it would be interesting to go through GM games and have Fritz
analyze them?

As a matter of fact, it can be useful to understand why certain moves
have been made or not made.

I use Fritz a lot to analyze my own games.

Henri

Crafty will annotate games, but it won't make cute comments like Fritz ("Na4
doesn't get the bull off the ice"). Whenever it thinks it sees a better
move than what was played (over a definable threshold) it will give its
search depth, score, and PV for each of them. It will even optionally write
an HTML file with diagrams to illustrate the annotations. Example at:

http://wopr.caltech.edu/~mph/chess/1...rafty-mph.html

It is a console application, so you should read all the documentation. You
also will need the bitmaps available at the FTP site for the diagrams.

ftp://ftp.cis.uab.edu/pub/hyatt/

Old May 5th 04, 12:45 PM
henri Arsenault

In article ,
"Lee Meadowcroft" wrote:

Is there any good free analysis software?
and do the programs annotate your games? Like telling you where you go
wrong?

Yes you can have it do that with Fritz, but I usually do it
interactively in real time, adding my own comments going up and down
variation trees. On a fast computer, the evaluation will usually be 10
or more moves deep within 10 seconds, so you can go through most games
in minutes.

Once in a while I let the computer go deeper, either bcause the red
light has come on (indicating that the evaluation is still unclear) or
bcause I do not understand the evaluation. But most of the time, as soon
as I see the first few moves of an evaluation of a poor move, I
undrstand why the move is bad.

Henri
Old May 5th 04, 03:43 PM
Samiel

On Tue, 04 May 2004 16:37:39 GMT, Samiel wrote:

I recently bought a copy of Fritz 7 (local store didn't have Fritz 8).

I am fairly weak player (say 600-800) and want to get a bit better.

I also bought a copy of Chessmaster 9000 which I will probably be
playing with more.

My question is, is Fritz 8 significantly better than Fritz 7? Would I
even notice as a beginner?

- Samiel

Also, I have seen games posted like the following...

I played this in blitz on ICC and at move I played Be2. When I analyed it
with Tiger, I got Nxe5 with an interesting game for both. Has anyone run
across this game.

[Event ""]
[Site ""]
[Date "2004.4.28"]
[Round ""]
[White "Tiger 15"]
[Black "Tiger 15"]
[Result "1-0"]
[Eco "C50"]
[Annotator ""]
[Source ""]

1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 d6 4.d4 Bg4 5.dxe5 Nxe5 6.Nxe5 Bxd1 7.Bxf7+
Ke7 8.Bxg8 dxe5 9.Bg5+ Kd7 10.Bxd8 Bxc2 11.Bxc7 Bb4+ 12.Nc3 Bxc3+
13.bxc3 Rhxg8 14.Bxe5 Rae8 15.Bd4 Bxe4 16.O-O a6 17.Rfd1 b5 18.Be3+
Ke6 19.Rd4 Bc6 20.c4 Rd8 21.Rh4 bxc4 22.Rxc4 Bd5 23.Rh4 Kf7 24.h3
Rge8 25.Rxh7 Rh8 26.Rxh8 Rxh8 27.Rc1 Ke6 28.Rb1 Rd8 29.a4 Bc4
30.Kh2 Rd6 31.Rb7 Rd7 32.Rxd7 Kxd7 33.Kg3 Kc6 34.Kg4 Kd5 35.a5
Bf1 36.g3 Ke5 37.h4 Bd3 38.Kg5 Kd5 39.h5 Ke6 1-0

I don't think these are in the standard PGN format that I have seen.
How do I plug these games into something so I can visualize the moves?

I tried Winboard, but it doesn't seem to like the notation. Is there
anything online (Java/Javascript) that will read this notation?

Thanks!

- Samiel